Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

James, Read most of the 'answers' to date . . . boy, are 'we' a cynical bunch !!

The definition of 'tip' - to me at least, in a restaurant environment - has been 'To Insure Promptness'. I do agree that many people EXPECT a 'tip', and even almost DEMAND it, though the service given was/is piss-poor.

While I admit to being a 'Certified' cheapskate, if your ENTIRE statement is true - I would definitely offer some kind of tip.Disregarding the UPS / FedEx types . . . your 'industrial' trucker is typically a 'drive & dump' when it comes to residential deliveries. His responsibility ends when the 'liftgate' touches the street. If the person maneuvers the vehicle up to your 'off-street' garage, or uses his or your equipment to move the item from the street to your garage, he is going 'above & beyond'.

For a single 'container' that I could lift or move with a handcart {say a max of about 200 lbs}I start at maybe $5.oo {TOLD you I was Cheap !!} For an entire PALLET - let your conscience be your guide and offer what YOU think it's worth. At the very least offer a cold {or hot} drink. It's up to the delivery person to refuse.

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {PS - I worked my way through High School on the back-end of an applience delivery truck . . . learned how to carry refrigerators, on my back, up flights of stairs to narrow for the hand-truck . . . 3rd floor & above !! THEY were usually the MOST tight-fisted and taught me the REAL value of T.I.P !!}

Reply to
Ron Magen

IMHO, depends. For home delivery, the truck driver is NOT required to do anything but bring the package to the liftgate. It's your responsibility from there. That said, in every case when I've had a heavy delivery to my home, the driver has taken it from the truck and wheeled it up the driveway into my garage. I usually meet them with a hand truck and am prepared to schlep it around but never have I had to. In this case, I always give the driver a tip - usually $10.

Business delivery? No way - that's their job and they get paid well.

Just MHO,

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

As do I but depending on which state you live in they make 8 to 9 bucks and hour here.. I know in some states they make about 2.30 an hour and agree with you there.

Atcually it was a terrible job of the server in this case.

The driver on the other hand is making a decent living and

Reply to
Al

True in many states Oregon pays a minimum wage of $7.50 an hour now I believe unless it went up again. I can only speak for this state and what I know having recently quit managing a restaurant here to move on be able to work out side.

Al

Reply to
Al

I dont know if you're supposed to, but when the guy delivered my Unisaw, he did a good job and I gave him $20. I dont think he was expecting it. I personally tip the guys when they make a large delivery. It's pretty hot here in Houston and they usually work hard. It feels good to bless some one. And everyone likes to be appreciated. You never know what they may do for the next person that day.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

The charge was $57 and something computed at fifty-something cents per pound. Is it a Teamster thing?

Reply to
New Wave Dave

And that can happen. I had some Kraftmaid cabinet delivered once. They did a good job and I tipped the guys nicely. The cabinet were damaged and they had to make a return trip. There were very nice and helpful the second trip.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

It depends.

I just retired as a Teamster with 37 years in my local union.

Freight rates are high. One pays dearly to have things transported from point A to point B.

For that charge, some things are provided and expected.

BUT ................

certain things are not.

If a driver gets to a destination, and there is a load of sacks of flour, he is not expected to unload it. If there is a long waiting time, he is not expected to wait. He has a schedule to maintain, and he has to stick to it. End users are expected to provide the means or labor to unload freight.

So, the short answer is .............. it depends.

If all there is to delivery is to simply drop the box in your driveway (well, use the tail lift), no tip. If you want the box placed somewhere special and you want to save yourself a couple of hours, sore muscles and possible hernia, a tip is worth it. Usually any service out of the ordinary, or a really good job gets a tip. That tip mostly depends on attitude. If it is at a dock where all they do is drive up, and someone pallet jacks it off, no tip.

Most drivers disdain household deliveries as they usually involve doing more than is actually required of them in the scope of their employment.

In those cases, a little grease works wonders.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Tex" wrote

I can tell you never ran into a real freight man. They have the power to send your stuff to Cleveland if they want to. And do all sorts of things to hold up your business, freight, and heartbeat.

I used to love running into your types. I was a Teamster, and knew 98 ways to make your shit disappear for long periods of time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Sorry, Dave. That's not how it works. I worked conventions in Las Vegas for a lot of years. Repeat customers.

You had one yokel this year that stiffed you after going all out for them, and next year, attitude was different. The companies are limited to a $50 limit on lost/damaged freight. You could run your tines through a box when no one was looking, the exhibitor could lose many thousands of dollars in exhibits, and the culprit was never found. Or, you put an "empty" sticker on a full box, and it goes to the boneyard. Cost of retrieval, about two grand.

We gave good service. We were paid well. But a stiff is a stiff when someone gets more than they pay for. Or intentionally screws you.

Paybacks are a bitch.

And they're so easy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"New Wave Dave" wrote

You got a problem with Teamsters?

Reply to
Steve B

And so, what if it is??? Teamsters bring you more than your saw you know. Get a grip!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

A CDL truck driver???? Just what the hell does that mean? A person that drives a school bus, limo, taxi all have to have a CDL license. Having a CDL license and driving a truck don't mean you automatically make "a decent salary".

Reply to
Tim Taylor

AMEN and well said! Right along with your other post! Been there, done that, got the tee shirts, and an award!!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Yeah, they bring you a Damaged saw.

Reply to
Leon

These type workers are in every work place. Some are protected by the union and do just what is required. Some see that the home owner is going to work his butt off and may choose to lend assistance with a pallet jack and 3 to

5 minutes more of his time and promote good will towards his company. The driver, like it or not, union or not, is the person that is going to leave the biggest impression with the most important person, the customer. Keeping in mind that the customer has paid a premium to have the goods set on the ground a little extra effort by the driver promotes customer loyalty. Should the customer offer a tip? Yes if the driver puts out more effort than a minimal good will coutrisy jesture. Rolling the goods 20' up a drive way on a pallet jack, NO. The tip should be offered if the driver put forth a more serious effort on his part rather than if he saved the customer a lot of work. I like to call that a courtesy towards the person that helps put money in your pocket.

I had a BS delivered on a lift gate truck and I paid a premium for this service. The driver sat in front of my house 10 minutes before getting out of the truck. I asked if he would be kind oenough to put the pallet in my garage 20' away. The graciousely said yes followed with the comment that it was the least he could do. I offerd a tip and he declined with hte comment that I had probably paid enough already. He got back in the truck and sat for 10 minutes more and then left.

This truck driver BTY was a Katrina displaced resident of Lousiana and told me that he was very fortunate to have a job.

Reply to
Leon

Very generous you are. I however feel that if you get bad service or bad food the problem should be corrected before even thinking of presenting a reward to the waiter. Cleaning up is part of the job, no one would go to a restaraunt with messy tables. There are crappy jobs in every industry. Waiters have the benefit of a reward if he does his job correctly. His job does include making sure that you are happy with what you ordered.

If outback gave me lousy food I might resort to 15%.

Sounds like you are simply rewarding Outback for bad service. Consider also, what tip does the cook get out of the meal that he has cooked for you?

Reply to
Leon

And some people wonder why the union has such a bad reputation. Teamsters DO NOT have a monopoly on having the ability to screw a customer. Most every one and every business knows how to screw his customer, however the ones with any sense at all realize that the customer is the one that you actually want to please.

Reply to
Leon

It depends on the driver for me.

Many suppliers (i.e. Grizzly, etc) state on the website that the freight service is roadside drop. So when the driver helps me get the stuff to my shop I tip him. If he is a cranky old Basxxxx who just drops it at the roadside then I don't. And, of course, I always ask- *Do you post or D/L copyrighted material*

If he says *What?*....or *No*......I tip.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

If the food is lousy it's not the waiter's fault, but part of the tip usually goes to the cook (you think the waiter gets to keep it all?).

I don't have a problem with leaving a tip. I _do_ have a problem with being told that I _must_ leave a tip of a certain amount, especially when the service sucks (which it usually does in places where they attempt to force you to tip). If the management wants the staff to have a 15% raise they should raise their prices 15% and then pay them.

Reply to
J. Clarke