You are a 4th Year apprentice, what do you do next?

In those days the only people to wear jeans were teenagers.

Mens clothing largely consisted of suits or sports jackets and flannels.

While workers in factories may have worn overalls, the nearest equivalent for outdoor work, farmworkers etc would probably have been dungarees.

New suits were possibly bought for Sunday best - church follwed by the pub - around once a year and the old suit(s) worn during the week.

Not too sure about ties during the week though.

michael adams

michael adams

Three functions.

A level of eye protection against seeing a fat flabby naked body.

Reply to
ARW

Arthur Dent travelled the universe in his dressing gown.

Reply to
ARW

I don't wear one of those except in hospital or when non-family members are in the house either. If I want a glass of water, I just walk naked from the bedroom to the kitchen and back.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

As with all the crew. I've worn evening dress on several occasions. Hired, of course.

The director of TOTP directed from the control room, not studio floor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you think. It just shows how effective his blending tactic was.

Reply to
Richard

In the 60s, my uncle (BBC Glasgow) decided to wear a kilt, rather than have a suitcase full of 'appropriate attire' for all the different places he was sent to.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Back for the second time? Fuck, I feel old.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Second? At least the third, IIRC.

I have bad news ...

:o)

Reply to
Huge

I'm sure that would be acceptable, but you'd still need a selection of the bits for the upper body to cover all requirements.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Martin

I long ago gave up wearing shirt & tie for work. I don't have customers to meet, only suppliers. I sometimes have to crawl about in dusty wiring closets and handle hardware that is dusty. Work has no dress code. I'd rather be comfortable.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The Michael Foot/Donkey jacket story was a fabrication.

Chris Bartram

I don?t suppose the design has really needed to be changed since the days when the toilet was out the back across a yard and in many cases shared with other households. The pocket could be used to carry your bit of paper most likely from the days newspaper or a box of matches in case the candle you need for illumination gets blown out while you cross the cobbles.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Yes, but it still reduced what he needed to lug around. Different hose and shoes, too.

Reply to
S Viemeister

That might have well have sufficed on any warm, rain-free nights of summer.

But what about winters when it was really cold at night ? Or at any time of year when it was quite possibly raining ?

Wouldn't there have been year round provision of an old coat or raincoat, to be used by all members of the family, hanging on a nail somewhere ? To cover all such eventualities ? Possibly with a copy of a days old newspaper in the pocket to help pass the time ? To say nothing of a stub of old pencil in another pocket, to help complete the crossword maybe.

michael adams

michael adams

You would stay put indoors and use the guzunder.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

For big jobs ? No 2's ?

I thought the whole purpose of guzunders was for small jobs no 1's. To be used at all times. Not just for when it was raining.

However I'm quite happy to bow to the voice of experience, should that be the case in this instance.

michael adams

michael adams

Some people kept covered chamber pots under the bed, and emptied them in the morning.

Reply to
S Viemeister

For no 2's ?

Anyway if that really is the case for both no 1's and no 2's, then it would rather seem to invalidate the suggestion that I was responding to.

Namely that top pockets in pyjamas are so as to faciliate trips across cobbled courtyards in the dark, in order to use shared outside toilets.

i.e. long term exposure/resignation to chamber pots having been made use of for both purposes in cold or wet weather, would eventually mitigate against the night time use of outside toilets at all.

Although again I'm quite happy to bow to the voice of experience in this matter, if that is indeed the case.

michael adams

michael adams