what gifts are you making?

Just curious to see what some of you may be making that you intend to give as gifts this holiday season.

Reply to
mel

Jewelry boxes in walnut for the wife and smaller ones for two granddaughters. Oak spice racks for daughter and daughter in law. A couple coaster sets using maple and walnut for brothers in law. Two small boxes 8x9x3 for wallets, keys etc for son in law and son. Haven't figured out what to make for my 14 year old grandson or 2 year old granddaughter yet.

Rick

Reply to
RKG

Nothing new - I'm just planning to finish one I "gave" 3 years ago as a bundle of boards.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Lotsa toys for grandkids 3 and under. Plus a collapsible clothes rack for a SIL. Great fun. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Tim Douglass snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com

Holidays are deadlines. Bundles of boards are more forgiving--for giving. FM

Reply to
Fdmorrison

My great uncle made me a pint sized cherry rolling pin, all one piece neatly turned on a lathe. Every kid who sees it wants to include it in their games, use it with playdough, cookie dough!

Don't know about the 14 year old grandson!

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

Yikes! There is a holiday season coming up?

I'm thinking about framed shadow boxes for everyone (!) just different sizes and colors.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

Reply to
Paul O.

Reply to
Thomas Wojeck

Couple of chess boards (red cedar and bird's eye maple with walnut frames) though I think I'm going to buy the chessmen, My own set is taking a while to carve! Two or three jewelry boxes (dovetailed walnut w/ bird's eye maple tops) and some toys for my niece (1 yr old) and nephew (3 yrs old) I'm thinking about a set of maple alphabet blocks and a pull-along or two for them.

Reply to
Prometheus

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

Here's a suggestion for the two year old -- a climbing bear. Really, really easy and quick to do, and my nephew loved it. He was 3, but....

Reply to
mark

Do you jewelry box makers have all those cool miniature table saws and what not? I tried to make a few boxes, but my 12" chop saw didn't have the accuracy, even with a really good fine cut blade in it.

Reply to
mark

Nope, I've got a cool enormous cast-iron table saw. Much more stable and accurate than the little aluminium one I had before.

Little is easy. It's accuracy that's the tricky bit.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's a long-standing family tradition. My grandmother used to give me new clothes for Christmas - a piece of cloth with buttons and thread included. They would usually get made by March - but Grandma was more efficient than I am.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Sounds like I'm not the only one. I'm going to give my 8yo daughter some rough maple for x-mas. The plan is that we'll work together and make her a desk. I suspect I'll do most of the work when she's not around but not tell her that way she can be proud of what we made together.

Reply to
Ron

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:03:41 GMT, "mel" scribbled:

Doug Stowe's most complicated jewellery box (5 drawers, opening top & sides), over 100 bits of wood total. Started last November, missed the Xmas deadline as well as the February birthday one. So now, I have to get back to it.

The LOML complained that she has been with this wooddorker for eighteen years and she still uses cardboard boxes (OK, a frayed reptilian leather-covered one), baskets & other crap to keep her jewellery. So I got Doug's books from his website & asked her to pick. She, of course, picked the most complicated one.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Luigi Zanasi wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And if you don't get it done this season, she may order a jewelry catalog!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:50:48 -0700, Luigi Zanasi calmly ranted:

"WeeGee be foo." he ebonicked, with glee.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have a Delta 10" Benchtop (about $99 around here), it works really nice for small stuff, but it's a PITA for bigger things. Just make sure that the fence is square every time you move it.

Reply to
Prometheus