what gifts are you making?

Have an old Jet 10" contractor's saw with Forrest blade. Works great for small stuff and moderate size stuff. I could stand a heavy cabinet saw for really large stuff but I don't do all that much large stuff. I fail to see where I'd be a whole lot happier with a smaller machine for jewelry boxes. I don't have a chop saw so can't compare. I do have a RAS but usually use the table saw.

bob g.

Prometheus wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

I've got a chop saw (read miter saw) and I've found it to be almost as accurate as a table saw, but less versitile. I generally lay my rule on the wood, and bring the saw down to line up my cut [with my fingers far away from the trigger] You have to get your head right down there, though. Trying to line up the edge of the kerf with the ruler mark from 2 or 3 feet away is often going to be inaccurate.

This could be a function of the fact that I have a simple miter saw, so there are less parts to slop around. I looked at the CMS, but it seemed like only a marginally more useful tool, since the only thing I would think to use that secondary angle adust for would be crown molding, but I rarely cut that anyhow.

Reply to
Prometheus