What are you doing?

Apropos of nothing, but its been so quiet here I thought I'd say what Ive been up to.

Fixing that dang ugly swamp cooler is what. I showed pix here last year, I think.

I must have bought it 8-9 yrs ago and never - I mean never- did any sort of maintainance to it. The cooling pads were completely encrusted in CaCo3 crust even to the point it was creeping under the paint in a layer 3 mm thick. Over the years various home renovations created airborne dirt and dust, which was sucked through the pads, making them a dirty, crusty brick.

So, it came to pass that on the hottest day of the year (so far) with the GH receiving little or no benefit from said swamp cooler, I chose to replace the cool pads. The motor still works great, but the air through the pads was only a few degrees cooler than ambient temperature. Indeed, the GH in full sun was at the same temp as it was on my patio in the shade (on July

4th that was 95F, might have been higher, I tend to block out bad news). July 5th I found a hardware store that carried cooling pads, and working in the horrid heat, for it never occurred to me not to - am I stupid or what? - I set about tearing the cooling pads out of their panels.

Luckily the metal holding the pads in place were totally corroded and rusted so bending it open was easy work, many times bending it by hand. The old disgusting pads fell away from teh panels and now the real work began.

After several trips to the hardware store I finally got a wire brush that mounted to my cordless drill to scrape the paint and CaCO3 away. An old bottle of Naval Jelly helped a bit, replacing my 1st attempt to dissolve the CaCO3 with vinegar. If I was smarter a layer of paint remover would have moved the project forward faster. It was on one of these hardware store trips that the man at the store said, 'you aren't working on this *now* are you?' meaning wait till the sun goes down you idiot. But my heat stroked countenance must had marked me as a liar when I answered 'Of Course Not!'. He kindly allowed me to save face. (I have always depended on the kindess of strangers.)

July 5th saw the 1st panel of 3 cleaned of CaCO3, the preponderance of cruddy paint removed, a new layer of paint sprayed on, and the new pads cut to size and installed. Placing that one panel back in the swamp cooler at 8 PM dropped the GH temp 5 degrees in 2 minutes. Yes, the swamp cooler was still running at 8PM. Interior temps (operating w/o one panel - so it was sucking ambient air into the GH), had gotten to 100F inside the gh. By 8PM the interior temp had dropped to 85. Installing the one panel dropped it to

82, the thermostat's set point. July 6th saw the second panel repaired in the same way, and today July 7th I'll complete the project, which I've gotten pretty quick at, though the cordless drill isn't happy. I think its suing for new rechargable batteries.

What are you doing this weekend?

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

The aquarium water is good for your orchids!

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

A new GH! How fun! I loved framing/sheathing mine, but found the finish work tedium. Many skinned knuckles. And I only sawed partway through the saw horse, I *never* actually made it all the way through. (True story)

Measure twice, cut once and still be bewildered that it isn't right. That's my motto.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

I don't know. It's very alkaline for the Lake Tanganyika fish. Do orchids like pH > 8 ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Wolstenholme

oof! No they don't! They like the, er, detritus.... But pH 8 is no good. Lake Tanganyika fish, eh? I had to google those...

There are quites a few more than just ciclids, eh? Another fellow here used to have ciclids and we discussed using the old water on orchids. Others I know have used old koi pond water for orchids. Amazing what one learns online.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

Been there done that! Had the same type of cooler & even coated the bottom part with special rubberized paint. You did a good job Kathy.

Well today is 7/7/07 & hoping our luck will change. The bad luck started Memorial day like a "Domino Effect" when the hot water copper pipe in the roof//attic sprung a leak. It was a tiny hole & it was spraying the water towards the wall & down the

2x4's. The water slowly seeped down under the hallway floor which started lifting! My hubby is a good handyman & decided to fix the copper piping himself. He set up a light in the attic, a board to work on. I was getting the torch from my potting area & came back to see this leg hang down from the ceiling in the hallway!!! Anyway he was ok & as it turned out, he just cut away more of the ceiling & could reach the dread pipe with the hole in it. (Dust everywhere though) Now he has never done drywall, so we decided to get it done. The guy put in a new piece of ceiling about 4' x 8', did the mud thing etc. His charge was just the repair. All the ceilings have this popcorn stuff!!!! We got a quote for the whole house, this was too much. My hubby was adament that he would remove the popcorn ceiling himself, spray with water & it scrapes off. So I suggested that maybe we just do the hallway & extension hallway first. We put up plastic & used drop cloths but still somehow (More dust!) Ok we clean up & have this ugly ceiling. "Don't worry dear there is this special ceiling texture" That turned out well & had to be painted. We then decided that before doing the floor we may as well paint. (More dust) Anyway my son came home with a bad summer cold, gave it to my hubby on Fathers Day then I got it, one who never gets colds or flu! My house is nothing but dust!!!! Long story short, Cee has just finished the floor & is busy putting up new baseboards. Then comes the big clean up. Oh & a little more touch up painting. Cheers Wendy
Reply to
Wendy7

Oooh, is it one of the ultra stable beasts where you can get it up to highway speeds, take your hands off the handle bars, give the handlebar a good whack and nothing happens? Just a warning, cops get real pissed if the only reason they can catch you is because you slowed down for traffic. (No, I don't know this personally... anecdotes from a friend on the left coast...).

Reply to
?

Oh,oh,oh,oh,oh,oh,oh, don't do that! We need you here. Be careful!

Steve

Reply to
Steve