You are a 4th Year apprentice, what do you do next?

And was evacuation delayed because people weren't wearing pyjamas?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

... for the cell phone?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

LOL Just goes to show that you can write effective brief posts :-)

Reply to
Martin

I used to find "dress down Friday" and the like rather annoying as I prefer to wear different clothes at work and leisure. And I would probably have had to buy a pair of blue jeans specifically to wear at work on Fridays.

Reply to
Max Demian

I grew up in Barry, South Wales.

A local scrap dealer called Dai Woodham bought up the dock sidings where all the redundant coal hoists used to be connected to, and when BR decommisioned all their steam locos, he bought up hundreds and stored them in these sidings where they would sit and rust. He only sold off the tenders for use by the local steelworks, but didn't cut the engines up immediately, as happened elsewhere, so many were 'saved'.

There were no fences or jobsworths in fluorescent jackets in that era and the place was a magnet for kids. We would climb all over the engines, and pull out the insulation around the boiler and make 'snowballs' out of it !.

Reply to
Andrew

Quite - essential for a teenage boy. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Foot was a 'corbynite', was he, Bill? Anything else you'd care to invent today?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well remember a 'suit' in BBC junior management many years ago. Telling off a sound guy for wearing denims. Reason being he was in contact with the talent and they'd be reassured by seeing someone in a suit. This sound guy's main skill was pop music...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Germans still wore their Rommel desert caps when working in their allotments at the same time.

Reply to
Martin

OTOH, I wear jeans and a sweat or T-shirt virtually all the time and once the stupid "dress code" at work was dropped for back-room staff who never saw a customer, that's what I wore to work, also.

Reply to
Huge

Tee-hee.

Reply to
Huge

You'd stick out like a sore thumb dressed like that in some supermarkets.

Reply to
Martin

Too big to put it where nudists put their tram tickets.

Reply to
Martin

In yesterday's Sunday Times Culture section there is an item about someone who had a "sudden departure from the job of Artistic Director of Wigmore Hall in 2005". It is suggested by the writer of the piece that it was because of "the fact that he didn't always wear a tie."

Reply to
charles

Or a suit.

No mention of pyjamas though.

michael adams

michael adams

I remember working along side BBC OB crews where the riggers wore suits!

Reply to
The Other John

Smart dress was sometimes required on a specific location.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I guess from glimpses one catches, that the aim is to blend into the overall look of those attending the event.

IIRC it was said that one of the TOTP directors donned a cheap "rug" so that his shiny pate didn't stand out amongst the teenyboppers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes, sometimes dinner jacket for formal evening events, especially if royalty was present and morning suits for the likes of Royal Ascot. (But only for staff who were likely to appear in public.)

Reply to
Bill Taylor

tim... wrote

Occasionally the construction of the early Motorways gets featured in some documentary that gets shown on the box ,or you can find them on You Tube.

In those it can be seen that a good proportion of McAlpines Fusiliers worked in all weathers and conditions wearing suits and ties while wielding shovels and pick axes,usually with a white shirt.

Possibly it was the only clothing they had.

GH

Reply to
Marland