Was 'what are you doing'

Hello everyone! I'm not doing anything special, but the topic got me thinking about those of you who sell orchids. The forum is slow because it's summer in the Northern hemisphere and I guess more people are outside, away from the computer, on vacation, etc. Is this time of year also slow for orchid venders? And how many of us who summer plants outside, buy new plants and then at the end of the season we're struggling to fit all the plants back into their winter homes? Thinking " They all fit last year!" and then belatedly remember there are more of them now, because of the new purchases? And I noticed on my Christieara (she is outside) a dead fly on one of the roots. I wondered if it was a chance happening or if the fly was lured and trapped by this plant. Or ... I read too many sci-fi books! LOL I hope each of you are healthy and reasonably happy, enjoying your life where ever you are. Bob Campoli - who doesn't shout when he writes and doesn't sell orchids on or off line.

Reply to
bobc

Well if the xmission checks out ok, I'm off to the "Santa Barbara Orchid Estate International Orchid Fair" on Sat. More species!!!

Bob

Reply to
Robert Lorenzini

I'm just BACK from the SBOE sale, and bought more orchids than I have for years. A friend and I drove down on Friday and had our pick. Places weren't too busy, becasue it was Friday. Saturday and Sunday will probably be a zoo.

The evil Australians here got me to buy a few native species from DUNO, who had some of those Den speciosum complexes that Dave et al show at abpo. I was tempted, but passed. I did get a Den pugioniforme (I know I spelled that wrong) as well as a weird (D. fulginosa 'Black Pam' x D. convoluta 'Fiery Glow) 'Huge' x D. striolata 'Tasmania Gold' with an additioal clonal name of 'Tweetas Rusty' on it. LOL!! Try saying that 3 times fast. I bought these for the leaves becasue I know I'll never see the flowers *G*.

SBOE got the bulk of my $$ for a few Laelias, lundii, jongheana, a dayana hybrid, and a few others that'll probably take 7 years to bloom. But the purpuratas were to die for. (As always) So I bought 3. Well, one purpurata, one tenebrosa and one Pacavia.

Weather was marvelous. The State of California was gorgeous in spite of all teh farmland being changed to housing tracts. (Where *do* all these people come from?) We took my friend's Prius, averaged 43 mpg at 80-88 mph, got there in record time, (I think 5.25 hours, shaving 1/4 hour from my personal best.) Coming home we hit the Friday Bay area traffic and it took an hour to get through the 680 Fremont to Livermore corridor, even at 7:30PM. (We left at about 2 and got home about 8:45.)

We call these trips bonzai suicide runs. Dang my shoulder is sore today!

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

John beat me to it, Kathy. Yes, you spelled it right. Many taxonomists would call it Dockrillia pugioniformis. Despite the fact that I hate many of the taxonomic restructures, I do like Dockrillia, since it includes most of the Dendrobes that have just leaves & stems, rather than pseudobulbs. However, I'm told that Alick Dockrill himself believes that the genus should remain a section within the Dendrobes.

I forget where >> >>> Hello everyone!

Dave Gillingham

Reply to
Dave Gillingham

Yeah, after I got it home I read the tag, cooler grower...argh. I don't do very well with cool. So its close to the swamp cooler (remember the swamp cooler? ick.) and it gets a breeze (which the tag says it likes). So there you are.

Apropos of nothing, I used the Charles Baker feature in OrchidWiz to look up some of its cultural information. Gave me an idea of what to do with the thing. A quick google search turned up most of the same info, but it was all in one place with OW. (If you aren't familiar with the works by Charles and Margaret Baker: they published books featuring data taken from weather stations around the world for yearly day/night temps of areas that grow orchids.) One of these days I gotta take the tutorial of features OW has on their page.

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett