Home Depot's Cattleyas

I stopped by HD this morning and saw they got in those very small cattleyas in the mesh bags for under $5 each. I couldn't resist and came home with two of them. These are the first catts in years. I think my first one failed to flower because I was given the wrong information by the person working at the Nursery. Hopefully these babies will do better.

Reply to
Manelli Family

FWIW, those little guys are iffy, at best. They are young things, often without pedigrees. *If* you get a viable one, it will be several years before you see a flower. Add to that the fact that they have not been exactly coddled, and you have a recipe for failure.

Just my opinion, but it's an educated one. If you want to purchase babies, buy a compot or seedling from a reliable grower. Personally, I like my gratification to come a little earlier, LOL!

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

Howdy! I agree with Diana, you will get stronger plants from a reliable grower ... although the ones they sold at Lowes did have tags. And the wait ... I've waited over three years for a flower from a seedling Phal I brought and it wasn't quite worth it. And yet, many growers here can get them to flower in about 18 months. I think I remember reading that Catts can take up to seven years from seed to flower under good conditions. I wonder how long it would take at my house? <G>

Anyway, have at it and enjoy! Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa.

Reply to
bobc

One indeed looks "iffy," but I was told to keep the receipt. If it dies they will replace it or refund my money. The second one looks very healthy and has a new shoot starting on one side.

Oh, I don't mind waiting for flowers. I wouldn't know a reliable grower from a used orchid salesman. Can you recommend one? The new greenhouse has plenty of space. :0)

Reply to
Manelli Family

Al Pickrel

(Aka "alien complete with antenna") Kenni Judd
(Yes Kenni is a she as in "A boy named Sue") Ray Barkelow
(Mr. S&H who answers all questions) Robert G. Halgren, Ph.D.
(Rob Rules & has rules) No websight but great rules?

Reply to
Wendy7

Al Pickrel

(Aka "alien complete with antenna") Kenni Judd
(Yes Kenni is a she as in "A boy named Sue") Ray Barkelow
(Mr. S&H who answers all questions) Robert G. Halgren, Ph.D.
(Rob Rules & has rules) No websight but great rules?

Reply to
Wendy7

I am sure you have said where your located but you can start with the three you know from posts on RGO and ABPO - AL, Kenni, and Ray. You "Know" them from talking with them or reading what they say to others.

After that you read about growers with specialties such as the Vanda growers in Florida that Diana mentions. OR the you ask. For over all variety and great Plants. I recommend Oak Hill Gardens. For mini- catts I suggest Gold Country. For fun picking your own - local shows that host out of town vendors, if there are no specialty orchid growers in your area.

Al -

-
- Firstrays.com Oak Hill -
Country -
There are festivals around the country that are gathering of vendors just for your enjoyment.

Reply to
SuE

Thanks for the information. I'll definitely check these out.

Reply to
Manelli Family

I have two of these. Both were labelled; both are growing well two years later.

One of them is forming a sheath.

Big plants from HD have done very well for me. I've had to divide a couple of them, and they bloom every summer.

You have to give the plants a careful inspection before you buy them to be sure you are getting one in decent shape.

J. Del Col

Reply to
jadel

- I'm located in zone 6. I'm in middle TN, not far from Nashville.

On HD and LOWE'S orchids....Boooooooooooo! Somewhere I read that an newbie should buy an orchid in flower every month for a year, that way if you treat them right you will always have a plant in flower! I follow that plan, being a newbie. Also, I think it best to buy plants with similiar growth needs, Temp., humidity, etc.

- Which is what I am trying to do. :0) I'm buying the easy to care for orchids. Nothing rare and expensive. My greenhouse will be around 55 to 60F at night in the winter and in the 70s and 80s during the day. In summer they'll be outdoors in the semi shade. Our days are usually in the 90s with high humidity in summer.

Lastly, Buy big plants! small plants take years to bloom and they start with ONE flower mostly!

- Most of ours were in flower when we bought them. I did get a few for 50% off because the flowers had already bloomed (from HD). They were nice big plants for $6. I'm checking out the orchid sites recommended here and see several I'd love to have. But first things first. The Rion has to be finished. We just added the HAF fans.... now we need to purchase a heater, louvered vents and an exhaust fan.

Last lastly, give a loved one a big flowering potted orchid from SBOE or Hausermanns or some such for a present with the stipulation that you get the plant bach when it has bloomed out! Joe T

Reply to
Manelli Family

Well, you seem to be on your way! I grow mine outside under a big Pecan tree here on the gulf coast near Galveston/Houston TX.

Here are a few sellers in Nashville, I just picked them off the web so buyer beware.

I threw Tootsie's in just for grins, they probably don't sell orchids ;-))

Orchid Society of Middle TennesseeNashville, TN. Show Hours: Displays open to the public about 12:00 Noon on ... from around the region with hundreds of orchid plants and supplies for sale. ...

- 5k - Cached - Similar pages

[PDF] The Mid-American File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML Fall 2003, Mid-America Speaker's Forum and Orchid Sales Weekend, Louisville, ... Congress meeting in Nashville TN, Fall, 2004-at the Sunday morning Business ... midamericanorchids.org/MidAmerican/Mid-American-June03b.prn.pdf - Similar pages

Nashville Live Music - The Best Live Music in Nashville, TN - 10BestNo boots? Don't worry- the ones lining the walls are for sale! ... Tootsie's Orchid Lounge. 422 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203-3931 ·

615-726-0463 ...
- 58k -

Exhibitor and Vendor List - Nashville Lawn and Garden Show

2007Landscape Assoc. of Nashville TN (P.L.A.N.T.), Annex, www.landscapenashville. ... The Orchid Society of Middle Tennessee, 118,
· More Info ...
- 43k

Cypripedium Acaule Transplant - Page 2 - The Slipper Orchid Forum ...Location: Nashville, TN. Posts: 96. Default ... Slipper Orchid Forum Auction, Slippers For Sale or Trade or Giveaways (Registered members only) ...

- 44k -

Merkles Orchids - sales of unusual orchid plants and orchid ...sales of orchid plants and supplies in Tennessee, USA. ... Merkle's Orchids is located in Nashville, Tennessee. We sell orchid plants, and provide orchid ... merklesorchids.com/ - 6k

Reply to
jtill