You are a 4th Year apprentice, what do you do next?

You are a 4th year apprentice working in a school.
Having earlier in the day fallen through a classroom ceiling it is time for you to enter the loft again.
Do you
a) Get up there and this time take a little more care where you are standing?
b) Refuse to go up because might fall through the ceiling again?
or
c) Get up there, take no extra care at all and fall through a different classroom ceiling?
I am afraid there is no prize.
--
Adam

On 30/05/18 18:30, ARW wrote:

It's (c) - and I bet he was on his phone!
I can top that though...
We had a 4th year middle school kid fall through our ceiling (I was in the 3rd year IIRC) - this so this is Y5-6 in modern parlance.
Surrey County Council had sent the insulation installers to put blown fibre[1] in the roof spaces of our main building (4th year block was flat roofed and the 2 portacabins don't have a lot of options either)
All we were warned was not to touch the big pipe as it had a charge on it (not sure if that was from static from blowing the fibres or if it was deliberate to make them stick rather than filling the air.
Bearing in mind this is a normal school day... And our classrooms must have had getting on for 3m high ceilings.
So on the upper floor where we were, there's this ladder into the loft space, with a 4" flexi pipe coming in through the window, snaking over the floor and corridor and up into the roof.
From time to time the workers would bugger off leaving it like that.
Our teacher said he had to go off to do something and to get on with work.
Few minutes after he's gone, there's a massive crash as the arse of some kid (the 4th year I guess as he was bigger than us) landed on the big ledge in front of the blackboard and bounced off onto the floor with the rest of him, having just fallen through a ceiling tile.
Luckily for him, he missed the pile of drawing pins that are usually lying around on the ledge.
Some girl asked if he was alright and he said yes, as he limped off - he'd obviously got curious and gone up the latter to have a look.
Teacher comes back - looks are mess and ceiling and we tell him what happened.
Did he:
1) Say "Oh god, we have to find him and make sure he goes to hospital for a checkup";
2) Bollock the workers for leaving an unguarded ladder;
3) Say: "Well, he shouldn't have been up there!" and carry on like nothing had happened?
Bonus point for guessing the total number of modern day safety violations...
[1] This was the 70s, so fuck knows if the "fibres" has asbestos in for extra fun...
Well, actually something similar happened in the 1960s at my school, and the boy was sent to hospital on a buss, the mess was cleaned and life went on. Brian
--
----- -

More likely on a bus.

On 31/05/2018 09:05, Brian Gaff wrote:

buss bʌs/ North Americanarchaicinformal noun noun: buss; plural noun: busses
1. a kiss.
verb: buss; 3rd person present: busses; past tense: bussed; past participle: bussed; gerund or present participle: bussing
1. kiss. "he bussed her on the cheek"
Was the boy dispatched with a Glaswegian kiss ?.
On Thu, 31 May 2018 11:44:11 +0100, Andrew wrote:

We've come to expect these odd spellings from Brian's speech 2 text application. It's nothing to get worked up about. We know what he means (mostly). :-)
--
Johnny B Good

On 30/05/2018 18:46, Tim Watts wrote:

Answer is 3.
Modern day H&S violations?
The lad was not wearing a hi viz vest AICMFP.
I could probably find at least another 30 regs that are now broken.
Let's start with the fact that your teacher had just nipped into the staff room for a cigarette.
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

Our woodwork teacher couldn't be bothered to walk that far, he had a crafty smoke in his woodstore mid-lesson.
On 31/05/18 20:50, Andy Burns wrote:

In the same period as my story, our head just smoked in his office. It was like a 1950s smog when I had to go in (he was still smoking, the ashtray looked like Mt Bastard Versuvius). And I came from a 40-60 a day household...
On 31/05/18 20:35, ARW wrote:

How did you guess :-o

Hehe...

It's possible. Some of use "caught" him and a few others down the Victoria pub at lunchtime (for some reason we were allowed out on an errand in town or something). Those must have been the days: horrible little oiks, but at least you could chuck a couple of swift ones back at lunchtime to soften the pain...
I still can :) But I don't teach...
On 31/05/2018 22:32, Tim Watts wrote:

Other violations that were not in use back in the 70's
No risk and method statement No hard hat (as worn today by the architect visiting the site and no one else) No PAT test stickers on the electrical appliances (I always carry spare stickers just in case another tradesman gets caught out - they only need a date writing on them and sticking onto the plug) 240V tools not 110V (actually both are allowed but tell that to a jobsworth) No DBS checks No cordoning off off the danger zones Working in a ceiling area with live circuits (all circuits must be turned off) Wearing flared jeans
--
Adam

[49 lines snipped]

. . . .
Not sure if you're serious because they are a snagging hazard or for fashion reasons, but I not they appear to be coming back yet again. I even saw some embroidered ones the other day.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 7th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184

They can indeed be a safety hazard in some work environments. Same as any flapping around clothing. Like say a tie when using a lathe.
--
*Too many clicks spoil the browse *

or even just
opening the bonnet of the car for a look inside
tim

Never ever did understand the purpose of a tie. And have never worn one since leaving school. Except for those formal occasions when it's expected.
--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

I still miss the ready availability 5 days a week of a spectacles polishing cloth.
<Smiley face>
--
Robin

Good man...
On Saturday, 2 June 2018 13:06:53 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I used to like a nice tie.
It's much cheaper to buy a variety of good ties then people don't notice the cheap suit.[1]
Owain
[1] Well, it would have been an expensive Savile Row suit for its first owner. Nine quid in Oxfam.

I don’t bother with suits either. Another stupid invention.

Never did understand the purpose of a suit either. ;-)
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *