You are a 4th Year apprentice, what do you do next?

Isn't "stuffed up the sleeve" where that should be?

tim

Reply to
tim...

Which country are you talking about here? I'm guessing 'charles' was referring to the British.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Indeed so. In the Dads' Army episode "The Yanks are coming", one of the Home Guard has seen the newcomers; They're all dressed like officers!".

Reply to
charles

My mother was RAF, my father was USAAC. She was at Bomber Command, and he was stationed nearby. If this were FaceBook, I could show you photos. But yes, they wore ties.

Reply to
S Viemeister

My mother was RAF, stationed at Bomber Command.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I doin't remember any of my military relatives, all army, various regiments, wearing ties except the one, who was an officer. Then again I was very young :-)

Reply to
Martin

Not the ones who sleep in the nude.

Reply to
Martin

And those that shop in the nude?

Reply to
ARW

Perhaps I should have said "Army Officers". The RAF were always smarter.

Reply to
charles

RAF was different in that all ranks wore shirts (with detachable stiff collars) and ties. We were still wearing WW2 issue in the CCF in the

1960s.
Reply to
Robin

If you live in a "house of multiple occupation" (as they call bedsitterland nowadays) you can pop your keys in it so you don't lock yourself out when visiting the bog in the night.

Reply to
Max Demian

I am always intrigued with thread drift, we have gone from Adams apprentice falling through a ceiling to suits and uniform. I suspect if any of Adams apprentices were made to wear suits he would get even less work out them th en at present. As for uniform most yoof already wear one - it's called a "h oodie"

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Well you're a corbynite aren't you? Scruffy bastards, all of you. Remember that old geezer Foot?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's to make gullible people think you know what you're talking about.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Little point in that for me. As I sleep naked and only possess a pair of pyjamas in case of hospital stays or for when the kids' friends are staying over, I'd only have to put them on to go out, so I may as well put on some proper clothes!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I was wondering when a "One Button Suit" reference was going to materialise. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

You've done the "Asbestos 'Pure White" Fireproof Snow" Christmas decoration? Keep the sprogs happy and safe in a pile of asbestos?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Although my ex-employer Bombardier never did have a written (or even unwritten) dress code, at one point a new relaxed one was formalised for the division in which I was working. There was no mention of gender, though it was clearly produced with men in mind:

Shirts must have a collar. No predominant logos or slogans. No blue denim. [other colours presumably OK] No trainers. Shorts permissible, but must be tailored.

This was for a trial period. Exactly what they would have done if they had eventually decided to discontinue it was unclear. Perhaps they would have had to define what we previously wore without compulsion.

As it happened there was no reversion. However, the company had several reorganisations of departments, and some parts of it were still firmly in the lounge suit era. I stuck to my new regime

Interestingly, when we occasionally had corporate video presentations, practically all the global chiefs were tie-less. Indeed, when I used to visit company sites in Sweden or Germany, I generally dressed down (to UK standards) so as not to appear overdressed by theirs.

After too many years, I was happy to ditch the ties. Last time the subject came up I simply commented that I had signed off many official Design Certificates, for assorted rolling stock worth about £700 million, without my tie, and none of them had been rejected because of this.

I'm quite OK with not wearing ties, but really don't like to see the top button of the shirt still done up. Must be my age ;-)

In the past ten years I think I have probably worn a tie fewer times than I have fingers, with my suit for weddings or funerals. I may have worn a casual jacket about as often.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

When will the Grenfell Tower enquiry get around to discussing this aspect of the disaster?

Reply to
Paul Herber
[13 lines snipped]

I wore black leather trainers to work for years when they were forbidden and no-one ever noticed.

A senior director of the company wore jeans to work one day when the dress code forbade them. Someone mentioned it to him and the rule was rescinded the following day.

Reply to
Huge