Household Lube-- what do you use?

So what are you using around the the house now-days.

I used to use WD40 on everything.. but I have started lately moving towards white lithium grease in aerosol can.

The wd40 seems to attract dirt and junk when it is dried up. I tend to now just use it to lubricate while drilling metal.. or to hit a bolt that I am screwing out.. or to loosten moderately stuck stuff.. but nothing "long term"

The White Lithim makes a mess when it goes on.. and looks bad, but I think it has better staying properties.

What do you use for general around the house stuff.. specifically bike chains & parts

Reply to
Jack

What?... you to good to soak the chain in gasoline to clean it.. like we did as kids?

(It is amazing that I survived to adulthood!)

Reply to
Jack

You are noticing what you descibe because wd40 isn't a lubricant. I think more things have been ruined by wd40 than have been repaired by using it.

I like progold chain lube for bike chains because it doesn't collect dirt.

Reply to
George

Triflow, in the dropper bottles. I do not use the spray any more.

Reply to
SQLit

Good ol' 3n1 (aka 10wt) oil. With an oil can of straight 30wt in the garage for heavier duty use.

A machinest friend gave me a partial can of cutting fluid, but again,

10wt oil does wonders.

Liquid wrench for rusty bolts, and I use Boeshield T-9 for protecting tools.

As others have suggested, a product designed for this specific application?

Reply to
John Hines

I use all kinds of lubes depending on what I am using it for.

For bike chains I use a lube designed for just that. Find it at any good bike shop. Pick up a chain cleaner where you are there. makes cleaning them a snap.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Some of the stuff I use:

Wrench Force extra dry chain lube for bikes. Does not fling off. There are many brands. WD-40 (in tiny amounts) for storing tools rust free in garage. It is not a lube. Tetra lube or Breakfree for guns, and small parts.

3-in-1 for hinges, non-chain bike mechanisms, and fan bearings. Lithium grease for high shear apps, such as wheel bearings of all kinds. Garage Door grease - lith. or silicone - for screw drives and gar. door hinges. Silicone grease (will not rot rubber parts) for making up hose joints and waterproof apps. Graphite powder for door locks. Silicone stick for drawer glides, and wood against wood. Silicone (not wd40!) spray for derailleur and similar bicycle parts. Get the drift? There is no one good lube, but many. >
Reply to
Roger Taylor

I use the white grease on some things, 3 in 1 oil on a lot of others. WD-40 is a good took, but a poor lubricant long term.For things that should be clean, like a sticky window, silicone spray works.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There's no single lubricant that's best for everything. What you use depends on what needs to be lubed. Just make sure you use the right lube for the job, whether it's white lithium grease, axle grease, 30W oil, or K-Y Jelly.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Wrench Force extra dry chain lube for bikes. Does not fling off. There are many brands. CY: I've got a bike chain to lube, one of these days. I was considering white lith, makes less mess when it rubs onto my pants legs.

WD-40 (in tiny amounts) for storing tools rust free in garage. It is not a lube. CY: Does OK for removing stickers, and some other things.

Tetra lube or Breakfree for guns, and small parts. CY: Not heard of that.

3-in-1 for hinges, non-chain bike mechanisms, and fan bearings. CY: Fan berrings, needs Zoom Spout Turbine Oil. Three N One dries out too soon. Also ND20 works well, or two stroke gas mixer oil (no gasoline, please).

Lithium grease for high shear apps, such as wheel bearings of all kinds. CY: Also door hinges. And the latch mechanisms of cars.

Garage Door grease - lith. or silicone - for screw drives and gar. door hinges. CY: Sounds good.

Silicone grease (will not rot rubber parts) for making up hose joints and waterproof apps. CY: Good one.

Graphite powder for door locks. CY: If locks are exposed to the weather such as car door locks, I use spray oil. Whatever brand I've got in my hand is OK.

Silicone stick for drawer glides, and wood against wood. Silicone (not wd40!) spray for derailleur and similar bicycle parts. CY: I used cheap Walmart silicone one time on a bike chain. Popular Mechanics brand, if memory serves. Well, the family got home (five hours drive) and ac ouple days later the little guy's bike chain locked up. I'll never buy cheap junk silicone again.

Get the drift? There is no one good lube, but many.

CY: I have a Kwikset Tylo entry lock on the back door. the mechanism started to get cranky (not the keyhole part) and I packed it with wheel berring grease. Same grease I use on CV joint boots, except that with he CV boots I use a syringe needle on my grease gun.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The graphite I've used is a dry powder. Where is the water?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

like motorcycle chain lube in the spray can for lubing hinges,cables,about anything..lucas

ds549

Graphite is hygroscopic. If it doesn't contain water when you unseal the tube, it will shortly thereafter.

Reply to
Goedjn

For door locks the best I've found is STP. Applied before winter, the lock will not freeze. Graphite contains water and accelerates corrosion.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Ha! I know what you mean. I used to clean the chain in gas....and did one better. I scrubbed it with a wire brush.

On the topic though, it depends on the applciation. Some lubes are better for some things that others.

Chain lube tends to be designed not to fling off. Graphite doesn't attract dirt Silicone works well for things like windows and also doesn't attract dirt. Various oils work good for penetrants (liquid wrench, Kroil, Marvel Mystery Oil)

It depends on what you want to do.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

... an excellent example of why you should be *very* careful taking advice from Usenet...

STP?? In a door lock??? Might as well put glue in there.

Locks don't freeze anyway, unless they get water in them. That's one reason for having storm doors.

Baloney. Graphite doesn't contain water. It's a dry powder. Sometimes it's sold in an oil suspension, too, which is a *great* thing for lubing a lock.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Inside the chrystal structure. Bake all the water out and you have soot.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Only if you're dumb enough to leave the cap off the tube.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Absolute nonsense. Graphite is pure crystalline carbon. No water in it at all.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I've never considered STP. Seems a bit thick and gloopy for locks. I'd expect it to get thicker when it gets cold.

Graphite is one of the three forms of the element carbon. It contains neither hydrogen nor oxygen, and therefore no water.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon