Semi OT Latestbunch of idiots.

It's magical, the way these things work :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

They'll just follow the Japanese model

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You mean in the future I'll be able to switch supplier and tarrif automatically in half hour increments that is never going to happen. Smart meters can report use down to that level of granularty. Which has privacy implications.

EDF Standard products give you a fairly hefty Nuke/Coal energy mix (69% Nuke, 27.8% Coal, 2.9% Renewable, 0.2% Other, 0.1% gas). Beware of the marketing of their Blue products which gives the impression that "EDF Energy Blue Products(1)" are 100% nuke until you read the footnote.

Doesn't help with the indirect taxation for the FIT robbers or silver pocket linings of wind company shareholders.

(1) Blue refers to Blue for Business and London 2012 Olympics & Paralympics (80%)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No they don't and yes they were. They do have emergency generators.

Reply to
harryagain

Exactly so.

Reply to
harryagain

Not going to happen. Get used to it. Except if you pay the high price ()

Smartmeters are all about peak lopping. They will happen whatever fuel source we use. And all fuels will be expensive.

Reply to
harryagain

Somewhere in Lalaland.

Reply to
harryagain

I means in the future you'll get cheap (maybe very cheap) electricity at times of low demand/high availabilty. Electrical appliances will be designed to make use of this facility. Some already are. Also your home will be wired to take advantage of this.

There are up sides and down sides to smartmeters. But they are going to happen (everywhere in the world)

So the whiners here will just have to get used to it. If they can't, they will be in the shit (financially).

Reply to
harryagain

Don't be foolish.

Reply to
harryagain

Ah - so I can have fresh toast at 3 in the morning?

Reply to
charles

I was involved in planning the disconnections and we had a number of protected consumers, which included the major hospitals. There might have been a few cottage hospitals that were not large enough to have their own feeds, but they would not have been carrying out operations or have patients on life support.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

What is foolish about wanting to use the cheaper sources?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Tuesday 30 July 2013 07:46 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Why the F*ck should I get used to it? I'm with Mike.

You can have your renewables and you can pay for them. I want to pay for nuclear and no dependency on Russian gas so my lights stay on whilst yours are flickering in the breeze,

So you can stuff your "get used to it".

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Tuesday 30 July 2013 07:47 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

No - that's where you and your green hippie tree knobbing friends live. The land where physics does not apply.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Really. And when the bank/utility company make a mistake, what then?

Yes. But banks and utilities are fallible.

Oh, the irony.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I think he means that most labtops and those post PC devices built in the last 5 years have inbuilt cameras, some have two. Poeple, seem to want these to some extent so manufactures add them to their products.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I have a few shares in my power suppliers and sewage suppliers, I can't get shares in the water supply company because its de-listed and IIRC owned by the local authorities or a company set up by them.

If they start cutting people off for no reason I will raise it at the AGM. If they cut them off because they won't pay or are on green tariffs then hard luck.

Reply to
dennis

Look on the bright side, the FITs are now only 15.44p which is not much more than the 12p or so you are paying. Its only money grabbers like harry that are getting 40p+.

Its still enough return to get "free" panels while interest rates are only a few percent.

Reply to
dennis

There isn't any to reject is there? Or has it gone windy now?

Reply to
dennis

JOOI how were those done, I presume this was back in the 1970's did you have blokes going round turning stuff of or could you do it by remote switching in those days?

Was it just the odd substation or further up the chain?..

Reply to
tony sayer