Semi OT Latestbunch of idiots.

Wide spectrum of nutcases to be marvelled at. Someone must be making a living out of this sort of thing.

Reply to
harryagain

Obviously you know f*ck all about smart meters and the ruling elites plan for them.

You probably also think that micro-chipping humans is a good thing as well.

Here's a tip. Smart metere allow the energy companies to cut people off without entering the premisies. It also allows them to cut the power supply at will, which is what is going to happen, when we have power shortages because of the global warming nutters who have closed down power stations and want us to be reliant on wind turbines that don't produce the power required.

Reply to
Road_Hog

Well, I doubt that was the original idea, as smart meter tech has been around for years. As you say though, anything that can be done, will be done by somebody sometime.

Its human nature. what is really needed is a hard to achieve agreement that it will never be used in such a way. Maybe there is some kind of need for a device such as on nuclear missile firing where multiple people have to all turn their keys to allow it to happen. We are really talking human rights here I think, and this is just as important as destroying the planet in my view. Because people do not trust their leaders or big business, you will always have this nagging doubt that all the technology they want to give us will be used against us. Why do all pieces of computer gear have cameras on them? Most of the time we don't need them do we? So lets switch em on remotely to see what the plebs are doing. How many other sensors can be used like that? GPS certainly, Microphones, certainly.

However in the main people are safe until it becomes a need by someone in power to achieve an aim. End justifies the means etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

yes harry, in this case apparently it's you...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only about one third of electricity consumption is for domestic use and many large industrial users already get advantageous rates for allowing themselves to be cut off when load shedding is required. In any case, as demonstrated in the 1970s, the electricity supply companies don't need smart meters to carry out rolling power cuts.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Monday 29 July 2013 07:24 Road_Hog wrote in uk.d-i-y:

replace "energy companies" with "naughty hackers".

So yes, I agree, a smart meter that allows remote control is a shit idea, especially given

a) "They" will not maintain the firmware ina time manner;

b) SCADA stype systems are known to have weak security in general and I doubt this will be any exception.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Monday 29 July 2013 08:03 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

They have to have a damn good reason to undertake rolling blackouts. If they can just drop power to a few random houses at a time, I suggest it will become the norm. I certainly do not want that. What would make more sense is selective heating control for stored systems, but they already have that with radio telewitched meters.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I already have a smart meter and that is how it is being used. The bank made an error setting up a direct debit, hence neither they nor I realised that the bill wasn't being paid. After two months of non payment the electricity company sent a message to the meter to disconnect. No warning to us, it was disconnected remotely without even the courtesy of a final demand or letter to inform us that the bill had not been paid.

I was away for a month at the time. Getting back to the house it stank, everything in the freezer had rotted. Freezer ruined, kitchen cupboard it is in ruined. Electricity company take no responsibility for the damage.

Not in the UK BTW but it shows how things will go.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes indeed just start opening 11Kv or 33Kv feeders at substations cut off whole regions, why would they be bothered with individual houses?

Reply to
Allan Mac

On Monday 29 July 2013 09:51 Steve Firth wrote in uk.d-i-y:

A very succinct warning. Anyone who thinks "it won't happen here" is completely deluded (so most of the population then).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think that such action is currently illegal in the UK

Reply to
charles

Agreed, they will be used for "credit control" and I don't think the power companies have ever denied that. Far far cheaper for them to remotely switch supplies on and off than send a man in a van. The upside of course is that the power should come back on before you've hung up the phone having settled the bill by debit card...

Load shedding is far easier to do at the 11 or 33 kV distribution level, they are looking for hundreds of mega watts not the kilo watt or so base load of the average house. There is also a slight problem in that they might need to loadshed in say Cornwall, lot's of holiday homes with bills all over the country. There is a seperate address record associated with the MPAN number but I know that for at least two MPAN's we have those address's are wrong.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can you cite any statute? Why would it be illegal?

Reply to
Fredxx

Look smart meters are just some Eurocrats idea that has been issued as a directive, so we have to comply.

The idea is that cutsomers will micromanage their bills down, and that will help them with the problem that windmills don't produce reliable energy.

It all goes back to this stupid insistence that renewable energy is what we will have, whether it works or not.,

To make it work you add

- gas backup

- international extension cables

- a massively oversized national grid

- massively expensive smart meters..

The sum total of which exceeds the cost of nuclear power by almost and order of magnitude, and doesn't actually reduce emissions significantly.

But it 'all makes work for the working man to do'

And huge profits for the suppliers of smart meters (Siemens, who also make the windmills, the solar panels, the gas power stations, and probably the batteries too)

But hell who cares as long as Siemens makes a profit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Better legal protection would be the answer. Making the companies/managers legally responsibly for any errors. A fine of £~100,000 for the company.

Reply to
whisky-dave

How does a smart meter actually do that? Is there a great big motorised switch inside it somewhere?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

No, I can't cite any statute. Why? elf & safety, mate.

Reply to
charles

Well disconnection without a final demand of some sort isn't allowed but once the computers get involved they do things automagically.

One computer sees the bill hasn't been paid for for 56 days, it automaticaly cuts 'em off. The fact another computer hasn't sent the final demand or that another computer has record of a dispute isn't relevant to the "cutting off computer"...

Orange cut me off the other day in just that sort of scenario. Back on straight away when I called them but I shouldn't have been cut off in the first place, as I'm in dispute over billing...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They are going down the pan

The Other Mike

On Monday 29 July 2013 11:52 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I got my internet chopped off through a billing error. That was bad enough.

If my fuel (electric or gas) got chopped off without warning, I would go ape shit.

Reply to
Tim Watts