Semi OT Latestbunch of idiots.

Oh, financial wizard. Cite. Please include the cost of subsidies and nuclear waste disposal.

Reply to
harryagain

Ah, another financial wizard. Define "normal".

Reply to
harryagain

Another idiot in Lala land If you loose elctricity, you loose both.

Reply to
harryagain

On Wednesday 31 July 2013 06:37 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And you seem proud of the fact that Britain is the way of a 3rd rate african backwater?

How about: sod that, fix the core problem, stop fannying about with useless "renewables" and build some bloody generating capacity.

There is no magic reason that we should not have all the power we want for the next few centuries (by which time another solution for power will be developed). The only thing holding us back are stupid people.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Wednesday 31 July 2013 06:41 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The only thing preventing cheap diamonds are deBeers controlling most of the market. The price is managed.

You really are in Lala Land harry.

Reply to
Tim Watts

But patently you do NOT understand. Since that is a false claim.

Essentially Yes.

How are you going to dispose of your solar panels when they are dead harry?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

5p a unit ex generating station.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Using cradle to grave costs, new nuclear is 2-3 times cheaper than wind and around 5 times cheaper than solar PV. That makes it cheaper.

Also as I have already told you, as we come out of the recession, increasing demand for oil will allow oil prices to fall as there is a large excess of capacity, which is less economic to run at current levels.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You have already been given that information over and over again. The fact is that, taking all costs from breaking ground to final decommissioning, new nuclear is 2-3 times less expensive than wind and around 5 times less expensive than solar PV. As for the waste, look at John Rumm's thread OT more on the waste "problem" for yet another way to deal with nuclear waste.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Lying again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What is "loose electricity" and how does it differ from tight electricity?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Your evidence for that is what? More to the point, what evidence do you have that renewable energy sources will ever be as cheap as other methods of generation?

Corrected for inflation, oil is now about the same cost it was in 1980. Coal is currently at its lowest real cost since the 1960s; half of what it was in 1980 and 2/3 of what it was in the 1940s.

I would have been building them. However, they did initially push up the cost of coal before they made it more available and cheaper again.

What has that to do with the price of fish?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I really love harry's stuff. Now that Duhg seems to have retired from Usenet (or better still, died), he's stepped right up to the plate to demonstrate that there is no area of endeavour where he cannot make a authoritative sounding statement that is completely wrong.

I'm almost tempted to unkillfile him.

(harry, do some reading about De Beers and the diamond market.)

Reply to
Huge

None thinking Harry strikes again.

If the mains electricty goes I call the DNO, if it's going to be off for more than a few hours I'll drag the genset out of the garage. In the meantime the DSL/server etc are maintained by a UPS.

If a farmer digs up the phone line I'll wander down the road to get a mobile signal report it to BT who will come and fix it within 24/365 but those 24 hrs without internet will have all the family members moaning about lack of internet and when is it going to be back. If they aren't moaning they'll be complaining of "being bored". *Far* more grief for me.

I guess it because with the power 99.9999% of the time the loss is not under my control. Whereas with the internet it can often be that something has thrown a wobbly that a modem reboot will sort out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

electricity

HTF do you know that and why would I say it if I didn't?

Many people have cheap electricty at times of low demand/high availabilty it's called Economy 7 or Economy 10, though the latter is rather rare.

facility.

Again, how?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You really ought to see someone about your -fix- on her;!....

Have we had any power outages like the 1970's ones since?.

Also if nationalising the power industries was such a good idea why didn't tony 'b,liar and gormless gurdon do that after all they had sufficient years in power;?..

Reply to
tony sayer

I worked at a TV station at the time of those cuts. The main UHF station which was fed from two separate HV feeds was cut off as advised the first night of rota cuts, around the time of evening soaps. I got a call from the leccy board asking why we weren't up and running on our generators, as they'd had lots of complaints about the TV being off. I informed them we hadn't generators. We had no further cuts (even though rotad off) for the rest of the problem.

Reply to
<me9

On the upside the recession is stopping the lights going out, long may it continue.

Reply to
The Other Mike

It could cause problems what if the was a new company called PoundPower we're teh coal was sourced from mines well children of 10 were working say 12 ours a day,, but at least it was cheap. Would it be OK for the poorer in our society to take that option ? and if it is OK for the poor why not the rich too ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

obviously you can get it out of the ground without fracking!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher