Semi OT Latestbunch of idiots.

If you decide to freeze some fresh food, or return from the shops with some already-frozen-but-warming-up-a-bit-in-the-car-on-the-way-home food, you don't want to put it into a freezer that is already on its way to relatively high temperature, and won't start chilling actively for another hour/few hours.

Reply to
polygonum

Or in harrys case, 6 months till the sun comes out again..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably. All they are is a compressor, a couple of timer operated valves, and a cylinder full of zeolite (a mineral that absorbs N2 under pressure and releases it later when the pressure is released). You compress the air into the cylinder, release the now oxygen rich air into the supply and then vent the cylinder to get rid of the N2 when the pressure drops below the "holding" pressure of the zeolite. repeat as needed. It only needs a few tens of watts.

Reply to
dennis

They can cut harry's car charger off and save quite a bit more. I expect that sort of thing is what's planned, but as they say evry little helps, just not much.

Reply to
dennis

That would heat about 15L of water to about 60C. Are you sure that's all you use. Including your annual bath?

Reply to
dennis

Or as David Mackay put it "a lot of littles is still a little"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ROTFL

Reply to
bert

More likely to be expensive electricity at times of low demand and *very* expensive electricity at other times (i.e. the times when we need it).

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Fiddle the figures a bit, 5 l to 100 C is an awful lot of tea or coffee...

TNP probably does use a lot more hot water but, as is common in the majority of UK homes, it is heated by gas *not* electricity. We don't have gas but the main hot water supply is heated by solar thermal or oil.

The E7 water just serves a small kitchen for hand washing up twice a day. It draws power about an hour at 3 kW. It is only a small cylinder but gets dangerously hot it's also well insulated so is still useably hot after 24 hrs with the use it gets.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On 31/07/2013 09:53, Huge wrote: ...

He is not quite as entertaining as Doug, whom I am fairly sure has cycled off this mortal plane.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I have travelled extensively in Africa thanks. I can tell you haven't. There is a very small minority of very rich people who have it all. Middle classes are small to nil. The rest have bugger all. Fossil fuel is used for transport and agriculture and for exported (luxury) crops. The reason for the population explosion is high birth rates and the fact that most now survive thanks to modern(ish) medicine. There is no widespread use of fossil fuel for luxury items now but these people have ambition. They want their share and when/if they get it, they will be competing with us.

The problems in N.Africa are likely fomented by the USA to prevent this happening. They can afford to do it now they think they have shale oil at home.

Reply to
harryagain

Ah yes. And why do you suppose the ones that did are giving it up? (ie the Japs and French) A false path. They will now pay the price, the cost of disposing of the waste which has been conveniently ignored. But now the pigeons have come home to roost.

You might look at France, USA and Germany on the same page.

Dunno why you come up with this shit when two minutes search finds the answers.

Reply to
harryagain

For him, probably.

Reply to
harryagain

Probably not worth you having E7. You need to do your sums. Day rate costs more on E7. You need to be using a significant amount of night power to make E7 worthwhile.

Keeping a large tank of water perpetually hot using gas/oil is stupid. I have small undersink (electric) heaters I can run off the PV.

Reply to
harryagain

I can and do charge my car up at any time. ie when power is cheap or in my case free. Just takes a little planning. It could be automated.

Reply to
harryagain

That depends on the freezer.

Reply to
harryagain

Turning off appliances that burn a couple of hundred watts for 10% of the time will make B**** all difference.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The opposite for coal, demand is up because gas is expensive, wind and solar even more so.

Reply to
The Other Mike

You get severe food poisoning, you die, load reduces

Reply to
The Other Mike

You still haven't explained how. You should let us all know how you have resolved this problem which elsewhere is causing so much expense, failed projects and head scratching.

Reply to
harryagain