SEMI-OT - THE END OF THE TIKI

I had written quite awhile back about the Tiki. I chainsawed a total of three. One was by the side of my shop, and lasted several years, but eventually just sort of crumbled. One received a coat(s) of finish, and still lives in my shop. This one lived at the end of my drive. It was the only one painted. I knocked it over one day, and found it hollowed by insects. Then I told how I tried to save it, and I thought I had succeeded.

But, the other day, I found it knocked over again. This time, when it hit the ground, the side split off. The inside is basically just eaten out. Anything that is left, is just soft and spongy. I'm not even going to try to resurrect it again.

I thought about making another, but don't have access to any section of log, at this time. Then I got to thinking - the boys have brought some chunks of 2X4 home. I can glue lengths of that together, then go from there. Haven't decided yet whether to chainsaw like before, to trim some with the chainsaw and then carve with chisels, or just chisel the whole thing. As it will live outside, I'm thinking I may try some of the construction Liquid Nails for glue, and it will be painted too. I think I will cut a piece of plywood, to match the top too, to keep water out of any cracks.

At least it won't cost much.

JOAT Failure is not an option. But it is definitely a possibility.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 2 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Fri, Sep 5, 2003, 8:44pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (RikC) says: I think you should laminate 2 x 4's with exterior glue (maybe pressure treated ?) and chainsaw and chisel.

If I use the Liquid Nails, I will be getting version suitable for outdoor use. But, I'm gonna stay away from pressure treated - I don't care to be around that stuff. Probably chainsaw, and clean up with chisels. Got a neat HF set of chisels I haven't tried out yet.

You ought to try making one, pretty simple, really.

JOAT Failure is not an option. But it is definitely a possibility.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 2 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

My experience with construction adhesive is that it melts and made a mess of my circular saw blade. This may not be an issue with a well oiled chain (I never tried it) OTOH it could also make a real mess of the chainsaw.

Have you thought of using Polyurethane glue?

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher