Semi OT Latestbunch of idiots.

The switching was on the HV lines, virtually all of which could be done remotely. We did have an area known as the wet string area (a comment on the capacity of the ancient overhead lines) which was still being updated and needed some manual switching. Protected consumers might also need an engineer to be out in the field to ensure they kept their supply.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

No, because the bread will only be produced one day a month.

Reply to
The Other Mike

For a large proportion of the UK population they'd have to learn to speak French German, Spanish or Scottish to speak at the AGM of their supplier.

For the 'big 6'

EDF (French) E.ON (German) npower (German) Scottish Power (Spain) SSE (Scottish) British Gas (UK)

There is also lots of foreign investment in our gas and electricity distribution networks.

A key fact to remember is that there is *no obligation to supply* The senile vindictive little shit Thatcher got rid of that requirement in 1989. The free market will now decide that your lights will go out as they see fit or they will charge for supply at such a rate you can't afford it. You could shoot striking miners or power workers to motivate them to get back to work. Now you'd get tossers like William Hague calling in the Spanish Ambassador to tell him to have a word with Iberdrola CEO.

So welcome to the new dark ages. Thatchers enduring legacy. Bitch.

Reply to
The Other Mike

On Tuesday 30 July 2013 14:15 The Other Mike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And EDF sold out their SE distribution to UK Power so you will have to learn cantonese too.

Thus began the greate step backwards.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It has today, but I was also thinking of being able to opt out of the FIT for solar.

If people could opt for their own choice of generation and pay for their electricity in proportion to the real cost of that generation, we would soon see just how popular renewable energy really is.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I was a hospital engineer. Some acute hospitals were affected. All non-essential critical work was cancelled. Some patients had to be moved elsewhere. No fatalities were caused. Some emergency generators had to be run.

Back in thoses days surgery was carried out in smaller hospitals to an extent not done nowadays.

Reply to
harryagain

harryagain

There will be none. We will be competing with every Indian and Chinaman for coal, oil and gas. (A diminishing resource) The UK frack gas will not be cheap and it will upset a lot of people extracting it. (And it will be done) It will buy us a few years that's all. It's like asking for cheap diamonds. Not going to happen.

So you need to take your own pecautions instead of burying your head in the sand

Reply to
harryagain

Don't fret daydreamer. All the fossil fuel/nuclear powered electricity will cost even more when new power stations have to be built/funded. Cheap energy is finished.

Reply to
harryagain

Yeah. Exactly.

Reply to
harryagain

electricity

Toast is a good way to use stale bread. Seems Harry wants us to get used to that.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They shouldn't have been. As I said, there were several essential consumers whose supplies were supposed to be protected.

An understandable precautionary measure.

Not in our area.

Nothing that could not be postponed though.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Continually repeating your rubbish won't make it any more true Harry. Renewable energy is so much more expensive than nuclear that new nuclear can go seriously over budget and still be cheaper.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

We went through this argument here some time ago.

I pointed out that my parents' ex-neighbour suffered from severe emphysema and dependeded upon an oxygen concentrator. If the power went off, the back-up was an oxygen cylinder - however he was too weak to turn it on, so he had no backup unless someone was in the house 24/7. Occassionally his wife had to take a chance and visit the local shops. This was a suburban area with no history of inturruptions of more than a few seconds, so pretty safe. However if blackouts were likely to happen at any time, anyone in a similar situation would even be worried about having a shower!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Rubbish, it will all be imported from countries that haven't switched to stupid renewables.

Only people on the higher FIT rate will be able to a££ord it.

Reply to
dennis

Now now you can't introduce facts into a thatcher bashing session, if you did there wouldn't be any bashing and then what would they do?

Reply to
dennis

Why not? We have already mined so many diamonds that if they were released onto the market they would be worthless. And we can make them too.

We will frack and build nukes for when the fracking gas runs out.

Reply to
dennis

My father had a battery powered oxygen concentrator. It was so he could go out as the cylinders are a pain.

It was even used during his cataract op as the hospital didn't have oxygen in the eye depts theatres and it meant avoiding a long wait for one of the main theatres.

It would run for about 8 hours on a pair of laptop style batteries and they were hot swap.

Reply to
dennis

No obligation to generate = No possibility of supply

Reply to
The Other Mike

With natural mould to improve the taste

Reply to