OT: wetwipes down the bog

Depends on the wet wipe.

(washlets on that page)

I don't think they're the last word in virtue:

(The author is clearly on a mission though. Making what little sense out of it all that I can, I'd say they do degrade, but not quickly enough for a septic tank)

But in the scheme of things, I'd guess they're as good as anything. Andrex seem to have satisfied Trading and Advertising Standards - which is more than the US products mentioned in the Guardian article linked to above mention.

In part maybe. I think the user should recognise/accept some responsibility and make an effort if they can.

Reply to
RJH

In exactly the same way as everyone else!

Reply to
alan_m

The article says that its the price of a roll which is more expensive but then goes on to say in the UK it is larger. Possibly the UK public actually use less of a roll for each shit.

Soft 3 ply soft fluffy paper (uk sized) doesn't have to cost a fortune unless you insist on buying some of the branded stuff inflated in price because of advertising costs.

I have never understood why those responsible for public conveniences think they are saving money by using microscopically thin 2.5 inch wide paper. Doesn't everyone forced to use these facilities pull out half a roll at a time of this type of paper in order to prevent hand contamination, especially when hand washing facilities in such places are suspect.

Reply to
alan_m

John Rumm was thinking very hard :

How relatively new? We were built in the 40's/ 50's and we have separate drains out of the village, but then the combine the two.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Are you also a 'cat person' Bill, where it seems perfectly acceptable for your waste to be shared by others?

We noticed a smell coming up from the sewer cover that is the end of a spur off the main that runs across the back of all the houses in this block (7).

We lifted the lid to find it nearly full to the brim and floating amongst everything else were loads of wet wipes. We don't use them in the toilet and so never flush them so they had to have to have come from someone else.

Turns out a household upstream of us had baby and they were throwing tons of wet wipes down the toilet, that had blocked the main sewer for the general area (another row of houses) then impacted everone on that leg when it all backed up.

I think because it was in the road, the Council came and unblocked the main issue (at a cost to everyone in the borough) but then several of us had to also unblock our own sections as the wet wipes also accumulated in our systems? ;-(

I have every sympathy for people who have a medical condition where they could make use of these things but I don't see why their problem should also be shared by others?

When we go camping with a portable toilet you are required to use 'special' toilet paper that (really) dissolves very quickly. So we did, because we didn't assume it was ok to become a burden to others.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

The simple answer for those who use disposable nappies and/or wet wipes is a supply of nappy bags or dog poo bags, both of which can be neatly tied and added to the household waste after use. Most such bags are biodegradable these days.

Reply to
Graeme

"clever design" - I'm beginning to see the problem here.

Also, you'd never get it through parliament. Why should housebuilders suffer extra costs, when you can just as easily dump them on the public through water rates/bills ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Civilisation is very much a moveable feast.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Quite.

As mentioned elsewhere, putting anything other than the acceptable things down the drain, just because it's *inconvenient* to do anything else, really isn't an excuse.

It's just the same as those you leave stuff outside the local dump because they went there when it was closed. I guess they think that's better than fly tipping the stuff somewhere?

It's all down to social responsibility and the assumption that them and us aren't the same thing? The people who work at the water treatment works rely on the same water as we do?

If they do something that blocks the sewer or causes a hazard (leaving waste on the pavement outside the dump) they are denying their own responsibility for such things.

Similar with people who throw serviceable stuff away (as opposed to recycling it in some way) when they can't answer the question of exactly where 'away' is? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

NO.

the cleanly ness of teh wetwipes makes no difernce the trouble with teh wetwipes is that they are made of plastic or certaily have plastic in them like the new money does to makle them stronger so they don;t disintegrate like a paper bag of bog roll.

why use wetwipes on wodney throw him some paper towels.

What's wrong with toilet paper anyway ?

Ask those that know.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Modern nappies fold up pretty neatly and tape shut, containing it all, in most cases. Not even worth tipping it out and flushing, particularly for babies.

Reply to
newshound

+1.

I suppose there may be some medical conditions where wet wipes are better than paper for bum wiping, but on the whole I think people who use them for that have just been sold by the slick marketing.

Reply to
newshound

Wouldn't be an issue if we knew how to use squat toilets properly (as per Asia) and/or had bidets (as per Europeans).

Whoever thought that wiping excrement around ones backside a good idea?

On a similar theme there are cultures that do not think sitting in your own dirty water is a good way to get clean. We're quite backwards really.

Reply to
AnthonyL

That stuff is total con, typical of the leisure industry.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The word disabled means there are things you aren't able to do.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's also fragile.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Just imagine how much more careful everyone would be if they had a septic tank and were responsible if it bunged up. I am very careful what I put down mine.

Reply to
aprilsweetheartrose

I think it's to stop people nicking it - I certainly wouldn't want it.

Reply to
PeterC

What makes you think that the majority of able bodied population wouldn't call someone to unblock their sewage filters.

Being disabled doesn't stop people from flushing wet wipes and pouring fat down the sewer. They have the same choice to avoid any potential problems as anyone else.

Reply to
alan_m

Might solve a lot of problems if the Japanese style bogs caught on.

Reply to
Tim Watts