OT: wetwipes down the bog

We're constantly nagged to not put wet wipes down the bog. I think the balance of cost and benefit depends on what it's been used for. If it's reasonably clean, yes, put it in the little bin in the bathroom. But what if it's got shit on it? In that case I think it should go down the bog. Benefits: hygienic; no need to put it in a plastic nappy bag; no chance of odours. Cost: it adds to the non-soluble material that has to be fished out at the sewage works. But what's the cost per wetwipe of that? A minute amount I should think.
Giving us all this hassle about wetwipes is just the water companies trying to make out they are heroes.
Bill
On 14/08/18 18:23, Bill Wright wrote:

Research fatbergs.
On 14/08/2018 18:53, Richard wrote:

I don't need to. I know about them. They are irrelevant to the present discussion.
Bill
On 14/08/18 19:17, Bill Wright wrote:

Per wipe? minimal. but get a few hundred at one point and you'd easily block a screen. Blocked screens could cause an overflow, which probably isn't an expense in monetary terms but is environmentally bad.

I'd imagine wet wipes could act as a very good binder for fatbergs.
Chris Bartram wrote:

ISTR on one of the programmes about the new "megasewer" they said they removed 30 tonnes of wetwipes per day at the Becton plant.
On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 20:19:07 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

If they're that indestructable why can't they be rinsed and reused?
Like, oh, nappies and flannels used to be.
Owain

Fark. Did they say what they do with them ?
On 14/08/2018 20:18, Andy Burns wrote:

Did they say what proportion of solid material was wet wipes? Did they say what the wet wipes were as a proportion of total throughput? No, of course not. As usual the media are telling half-truths and lies by omission. Anything for a headline.
Do you believe everything you're told by the media?
Bill
On 15/08/2018 01:40, Bill Wright wrote:

When it is backed up by visual evidence, then yes.
It is the things that occur around the world that they mass media decide not to show or tell us that is of more concern.
Like the fact that most of the plastic pollution at sea comes from about 6 rivers in South Asia, which the locals use as their rubbish disposal mechanism.
On 14/08/2018 20:05, Chris Bartram wrote:

The sites that I have visited use a motorised screen, basically metal links forming a conveyor belt, with one end in the open channel and the other rising at an angle and depositing whatever is collected into a skip. As the screen continually clears itself this way, it shouldn't block easily.

Indeed.
SteveW
On 14/08/18 21:13, Steve Walker wrote:

Ah. Thinking about it, I suppose it would have to be done in some automated way.
Still, somehow, that's all got to be disposed of...
On 14/08/2018 21:58, Chris Bartram wrote:

Well it's only landfill isn't it? There's no shortage of places to land fill. The landfill tax is a total con.
Bill

That’s bullshit with places like London.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.
On 14/08/2018 20:05, Chris Bartram wrote:

So unblock it then, automatically or manually.
Bill
On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 01:36:58 +0100, Bill Wright

Are you also a 'cat person' Bill, where it seems perfectly acceptable for your waste to be shared by others?
We noticed a smell coming up from the sewer cover that is the end of a spur off the main that runs across the back of all the houses in this block (7).
We lifted the lid to find it nearly full to the brim and floating amongst everything else were loads of wet wipes. We don't use them in the toilet and so never flush them so they had to have to have come from someone else.
Turns out a household upstream of us had baby and they were throwing tons of wet wipes down the toilet, that had blocked the main sewer for the general area (another row of houses) then impacted everone on that leg when it all backed up.
I think because it was in the road, the Council came and unblocked the main issue (at a cost to everyone in the borough) but then several of us had to also unblock our own sections as the wet wipes also accumulated in our systems? ;-(
I have every sympathy for people who have a medical condition where they could make use of these things but I don't see why their problem should also be shared by others?
When we go camping with a portable toilet you are required to use 'special' toilet paper that (really) dissolves very quickly. So we did, because we didn't assume it was ok to become a burden to others.
Cheers, T i m

The simple answer for those who use disposable nappies and/or wet wipes is a supply of nappy bags or dog poo bags, both of which can be neatly tied and added to the household waste after use. Most such bags are biodegradable these days.
--
Graeme

Quite.
As mentioned elsewhere, putting anything other than the acceptable things down the drain, just because it's *inconvenient* to do anything else, really isn't an excuse.
It's just the same as those you leave stuff outside the local dump because they went there when it was closed. I guess they think that's better than fly tipping the stuff somewhere?
It's all down to social responsibility and the assumption that them and us aren't the same thing? The people who work at the water treatment works rely on the same water as we do?
If they do something that blocks the sewer or causes a hazard (leaving waste on the pavement outside the dump) they are denying their own responsibility for such things.
Similar with people who throw serviceable stuff away (as opposed to recycling it in some way) when they can't answer the question of exactly where 'away' is? ;-(
Cheers, T i m

Well, leaving the stuff outside the dump *is* better than fly tipping somewhere else. Not much better, perhaps, but certainly better, and no, not something I have ever done.
--
Graeme

On Friday, 17 August 2018 15:07:18 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

Yes I agree maybe they should be asking why the dump is closed ? Apparently our recyling centre is checking cars regs to make sure you donlt use the dump more than 6 times a year I think it is.

Surrey have decided not to have their "recycling centres" open every day,. So I have to remember which day it is and then which dump is open.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England