OT: wetwipes down the bog

No, there actually is not.

If current populatin trends continue asnd everyone has a western style energy footprint, we run out of solar energy in about 100 years. And thats whole world including oceans insolation.

LONG before we run out of nuclear materials

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, we don't "run out of solar energy" - unless the source shuts down. There might, however, be a limit to how much we can extract.

Reply to
charles

yes you are corect but it's meanless number unless you can harvest it.

At any moment, the sun emits about 3.86 x 10^26 watts of energy. So add 24 zeros to the end of that number, and you'll get an idea of how unimaginably large an amount of energy that is! Most of that energy goes off into space , but about 1.74 x 10^17 watts strikes the earth.

But even with all that enrgy the sea is still cold, and we stall have iceca ps .

I heard somewhere that the sun emmites enough enrgey to lift the Himalayas

26km into the air ever second. Does that mean we can just put a few solar panels on the back of a JCB ?
Reply to
whisky-dave

yuo should have pointed out the smokescreen he used, I'm use to that sort o f thing being used on me so here it is...

quote "if you remember my assertion was that the use of wet wipes does not block drains,"

In the same way that giving me some anthrax won't cause any problems.

If people would dispose of their wet wipes corectly then there would be the probl;em of blocked drains because wet wipes do block drains.

It isn;t teh use of them is the disposal.

You see there's nothing wrong with wet wipes if they are disposed of proper ly, and that goes for tea bahs too as some contain plastic I know Tetley an d Yorshire tea bags do, but I;m not sure how this adversly affects things I 'm not sure iof puttign such things on yuor garden would cause any problem but I'm nto sure why anyone would want plastic in their tea as an option. But there must be a reason or they wouldnl;t do it I assume. \

Reply to
whisky-dave

It reinforces the paper bags and stops them coming apart in the teapot or cup. I used to put used tea bags on the compost heap but kept finding 'ghost' bags when I came to use it, much less substantial than the original bag, as the cellulose fibres had rotted away, but the plastic fibres remained.

Some more info here

Chris Hogg

In message , T i m writes

Well, leaving the stuff outside the dump *is* better than fly tipping somewhere else. Not much better, perhaps, but certainly better, and no, not something I have ever done.

Reply to
Graeme

Yes I agree maybe they should be asking why the dump is closed ? Apparently our recyling centre is checking cars regs to make sure you donlt use the dump more than 6 times a year I think it is.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Surrey have decided not to have their "recycling centres" open every day,. So I have to remember which day it is and then which dump is open.

Reply to
charles

Agreed, in concept ... except the same people may have to be sent out to collect the stuff outside the tip as would if it was down a country lane ... and it and may have to be taken back to *their* yard (rather than it being take in by the people who own the tip it was outside of etc (who are often a franchise)).

The point is it still costs more for the Council to send out a special team to collect the 'Fly tipped waste that happens to be outside the municipal refuse station ('we' still have to pay for it's disposal via our council tax either way) than if the owner of the waste, took the correct responsibility for it as they should.

I've turned up with the car full of waste, only to find them shut (when they first stopped being open 7 days a week) and I've taken it home again to take it back another day. I've also done the same when I've found they were very busy or when temporarily closed because they were swapping skips etc.

The waste in my car is my waste so my problem.

Same with people who litter because there aren't any bins. No one asked them to take their (to be) waste (crisp packets, drinks bottles, dog s*1t, sandwich / sweet wrappers) with them to say the park but they did, so why not take it home again?

See above.

I never thought you would for a second. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

Agreed, again up to a point, if only because the stuff dumped outside the dump will almost certainly be moved to the intended bin almost immediately whereas that just dumped out in the countryside will inevitably stay there, at least for a while, thereby encouraging others to add their rubbish to the pile :-(

Walking the dog recently, I followed a trail of orange peel - I could visualise someone walking along, peeling the orange, eating a segment, peeling a bit more, eating etc. Oh well, I suppose orange peel is not plastic, and will eventually rot.

Reply to
Graeme

I guess that might depend on what it is and who complains. Anything left (by the owner) anywhere other than their own property can be considered as 'Fly tipping' , even if it's outside the dump and especially if the dump is closed for a few days?

True, but in the meantime it's not something many would like to see, especially in an otherwise immaculate park and often (as you say), sets a precedence for people to drop worse. Same with putting bags of rubbish around a full bin. Ok, I know the bins should be emptied regularly but there are limits and again, you don't have a right to dump your rubbish *near* the bin, even if it is full.

If you have walked there with the stuff in the first place you can probably walk the rubbish home and if you have driven, you can stick it in the boot?

The worst selfishness (stupidity?) I've encountered is a huge upturned cardboard box in a cardboard recycling Euro bin, filling it entirely.

What part of 'Please flatpack your boxes before putting them in these bins' didn't they understand?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Even when there are bins.....

One thing I've noticed is that the worst offenders seem to be those using the sporting facilities at our local parks. After every organsied football match on the marked out pitches there will be a line of discarded litter around the perimeter. Often there is a pile of empty plastic drinks bottles used for the half time player refreshment. This only can be from the players and the few people supporting them which are likely to be friends and familiy. This is despite those people having to pass multiple litter bins on the way back to the car parks.

Reply to
alan_m

Yup. ;-(

Yup. Daughter sometimes does 'football duty' at the local playing fields and makes a point of asking the players / spectators to take their litter away with them (and sometimes it works).

I think they think some magic pixie come along when all the people have gone home and Womble all the crap away ... but it isn't of course, it's another Council employee who could be doing something more pro-active on our money.

I think the football clubs are supposed to be responsible for the general condition of the facilities they use and can be fined (or charged / banned) if they don't. Not sure how often any of those deterrents are used though.

I think that some think that hiring the ground also means they have the right / permission to litter (when they obviously don't).

I wonder if those who regularly litter are happy to have litter blowing round their property and if they clean it up or just leave it there?

If they clean it up (and don't enjoy the process), I wonder if they get the link between their littering and other people littering?

When they litter pick our local park on a busy day they can fill 8 (EIGHT) large bin bags, TWICE A DAY! (and it takes over an hour each time). ;-(

WTF is wrong with people ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , alan_m writes

Sadly, so very true.

Reply to
Graeme

In message , T i m writes

Individuals?

Don't connect what they do with anything or anybody else?

I'm waiting for car video cam buffs to be invited to name and shame car open window litterers.

Local headmaster used to issue *litter pick* punishments so some of them may have got the message.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

But they're all so *tired*. And hoofing a ball around a field is such a

*socially useful* activity.
Reply to
Max Demian

Well it is exercise which we all badly need there was summatt on the news yesterday about the weight problems of children getting ever fatter all the time so some running about isn't a bad thing!.

Reply to
tony sayer

Running isn't a very effective way to burn off calories. About five minutes for one digestive biscuit.

Reply to
Max Demian

Ah, but make the little 'uns run five minutes for each digestive biscuit and the problem goes away.

Reply to
Richard

Regular exercise in adults seems to have a beneficial effect on body weight out of proportion to calories used. One could theorise why, but the effect is real.

Reply to
Roger Hayter