Genoa Bridge Collapse

Just looked on Google Street View and noticed the bridge had the lanes separated by those concrete lane crach barriers. I bet they were not factored into the loadings when it was built.
DerbyBorn wrote:

Good job this section didn't also collapse
<https://goo.gl/maps/G4kVSG9cda72
On 14/08/2018 21:50, Andy Burns wrote:

They'll never get anybody to live in them flats now.
Bill

Bet they keep living there. And its an earthquake zone too.
On 21:46 14 Aug 2018, DerbyBorn wrote:

Terrible tragedy.
This shows before and after sliding pictures.
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/14/europe/italy-bridge-collapse-before- after/

Fark, one entire pylon came down.

I heard that the suspension cables were encased in concrete making them impossible to inspect. If one failed then the resultant out of balance force could bring the tower down.
On Wednesday, 15 August 2018 08:38:42 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

They're not the only things encased in concrete in a lot of Italian civil engineering projects, anecdotally.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes

Been watching The Sopranos or The Godfather? :-)
--
Graeme

Wasn't that the problem with the old Forth Bridge too? Built in the '60s.
--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 10:53:40 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wro te:

Its problems were that the cables *weren't* protected - built over a period which was wet even for Scotland, the wires in the cables were suffering fr om corrosion.
The FRB's towers were reinforced about 20-odd years ago, but that was becau se of the increased traffic, not to remedy any faults that had occurred. Ot herwise, it's slightly over-engineered - apparently the under-deck truss is twice as thick as it needs to be, for example.

Why have they built a new one, then?
--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Why did Gordon Brown order two new aircraft carriers, to be built in his constitiency, just before the 2010 election ?.
On Wednesday, 15 August 2018 14:47:44 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

It's because they care.
About their electoral prospects.
Owain

They weren't "built" in his constituency, they were built as modules in dockyards all over UK and the modules were integrated in Scotland.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

in a specific place in Scotland which just happened to be in his constituencey
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Wednesday, 15 August 2018 16:52:10 UTC+1, charles wrote:

Alan Jackson (1938-) "The Young Politician Looks at the Moon"
Owain

Wonder how many suitable yards there are in the UK?
--
*Rehab is for quitters.

and why they aren't churning out cruise ships and ferries like German, French and Italian shipyards are.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

On 16/08/18 10:03, Martin wrote:

I dont think German French and Italian shipyards exist.
But if they did, the answer would be simple.
The EU. Once we leave we can start building ships again
--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people