over heating shower

Immersion heater is over heating the water. Having shower is a dangerous exercise. Who do I call in. A plumber or an electrician ?

Reply to
fred

An electrician, it's most likely the thermostat stuck on in the immersion heater.

Reply to
Tufnell Park

Tufnell Park wrote in news:pkus2q$2fp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

But first = have you tried turning it down? Howver, if not competent don't try.

I went to one and thought I was turning it down but I later realies I had been turning it up. Illogical control direction!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yes. Have you checked the heater themostat. That is where I would start assuming its not n instant water heating shower, which I know nothing about at all! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sounds like the stat has failed - possibly the immersion itself is also on its last legs. Plumber would be better suited to the job since electrically its not complicated, but shifting a well corroded in heater can be a difficult job.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thermostat has probably welded shut. You should be able to manually switch the immersion heater off somewhere to avoid it boiling the tank.

A plumber would be my choice - the electrics for a hot water tank are not especially complicated and the main problem will be draining down to swap out the faulty part.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Just to be sure, and in no way trying to be funny, and I know that this has probably just happened and not gone on all summer, but: your shower is supplied by the immersion heater?

We have an electric (Mira Sport) shower. The cold water supply this summer has been so much warmer (probably only a degree or two on the supply side) to force us to turn the shower thermostat right down.

Again - apologies for the suggestion!

John

Reply to
Another John

it's diy time. Replacing the thermostat on the immersion is the almost certain solution. That's purely electrical.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Drivel. Changing a thermostat is a ten minute job that does not involve draining down

Reply to
harry

harry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Just get the correct length one. Switch off - remove old - use as pattern for new one (3 length I think) Replace, Connect - Set (if not sealed) and turn on.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn posted

Why doesn't all the water come out of the HW tank when you remove the thermostat?

Reply to
Handsome Jack

Because the thermostat is in a pocket, in effect a long tube closed at the inner end like a metal test-tube, and not directly in contact with the water. You have to get a thermostat the right length to fit the pocket, which is why DB said to remove the old one and use it as a pattern when buying the new.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It sits in a pocket. Or less often is strapped to the outside of the tank. Leaving it run to overheat is not entirely safe.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1
Reply to
newshound

Stats are normally very easy to remove and replace, though. I'd probably start with a sparks, they are also more likely to have electrical testing kit. A megger test might not be a bad idea if it is an old installation.

Reply to
newshound

But this is a DIY group. Changing a stat is very simple. A basic multimeter is quite good enough to test the functioning of one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The question was, who should he *call* to do the job, not how difficult is it.

Its not a difficult job if all that needs changing is the stat - however a plumber is far more likely to have a selection of them in his van.

If it turns out the stat is not the only problem, and the whole immersion needs swapping, then a plumber is still going to be better suited (in most cases YMMV etc).

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh yes indeed, but the OP was actually asking which tradesman to call. Perhaps, for example, they are disabled and can't get through a loft hatch.

And you do find, in older installations, flex which has hardened close to the heater.

Reply to
newshound

Well yes, but as DIYers we have a duty to help folk to DIY a job. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

But you do need to know how to use one. Mate of mine, a very competent mechanic, always gets me to do it for him when he needs to use one.

Reply to
John Angus