VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?.

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Reply to
tony sayer

In a few years time, maybe, but at the moment most phones are just that, phones and you need a little dongle supplied by the voip company. Some Voip companies may well sell you a telephone like you need but I'm not sure they can work universally, ie not tied to a provider. brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Would not just about any smartphone with VoIP software on it not fit the bill?

Reply to
John Rumm

I agree. When I wanted a Skype phone some years ago I found it was cheaper and more versatile to buy a cheap smartphone (Moto E, since you asked) and run it without a sim card.

To the OP: is there anything unusual about the VoIP service you want to use?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

One option would be to use a DECT VoIP handset and base unit together with a WiFi client. The WiFi client would be connected to the base unit with an ethernet cable. DECT usually has much better range than WiFi and is better at working around interference as it has dynamic frequency hopping. Another option would be to use a desktop VoIP phone with a WiFi dongle plugged into it. Some SNOM phones have this capability, but care is needed to choose a dongle using a supported chipset as the SNOM phones do not have drivers for all chipsets.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

We'd certainly miss the intercom & call-transfer facilities on DECT phones. Can they be replicated using wifi on PAYG Smart phones?

Reply to
Robin

WiFi generally has too much jitter to handle voice well. Whilst that sort of thing hasn't been known to stop marketing departments, do you really want to encourage them?

Reply to
David Woolley

Failing that, most WiFi access points can be configured to act in client mode thus providing an ethernet to WiFi bridge - so will get a wired voip phone onto wifi.

Reply to
John Rumm

Almost all mobile phones can be used like that.

Reply to
John Angus

Thats called an Iphone on wifi calling or whatsapp..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not natively. You can do it on the VOIP side, but it needs some support from your service provider - essentially you have multiple extensions all with different VOIP logins. Alternatively you could run your own PABX using something like Asterisk, and the service provider is your upstream from there.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

No not at all a quite standard VoIP setup. The idea of using an app on a smart mobile phone sounds just what we need thanks to all who suggested that!...

Reply to
tony sayer

So whatsapp can be used with a VoIP provider like say Sipgate?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Not if you're not using Apple crap.

Reply to
MissRiaElaine

Don't know about whatsapp but CSipSimple works fine on my Samsung S4 mini.

Reply to
MissRiaElaine

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can do "ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is unlikely to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.

I have a client site where they run data and VoIP between two offices on either side of a road. They are connected with a pair of directional WiFi bridges, and IME you can't tell the difference in voice quality when talking to someone in the office with the incoming ISDN lines directly, or via the WiFi to the VoIP phones across the road.

Reply to
John Rumm

The many Mbps is the burst rate once the device has found a clear bit of air time. The latency is waiting for that clear air time. Also VoIP bursts are very short, but there are many of them. They need to find clear air time 50 times a second, and they need to do so within a few milliseconds, each time.

In any case, I'm not going just on the theory. It is empirically reported by people who have tried it that Wifi doesn't work well for real time voice.

Reply to
David Woolley

Or Zoiper (free, no ads) with Sipgate on any WiFi enabled Android device. Assuming the WiFi has access to the 'net of course. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks. I have rejected the option of running my own PABX bearing in mind the probability of my mental decay and pre-deceasing 'er indoors. I'll look again at VOIP providers with that in mind.

Reply to
Robin

I used to use a Pirelli DPL10, it worked Ok, I have had it for 4 or 5 years but not used it for several years now. There may be some still available.

Spud