VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?.

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.
Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home wi-fi?.
Any info appreciated.
--
Tony Sayer

In a few years time, maybe, but at the moment most phones are just that, phones and you need a little dongle supplied by the voip company. Some Voip companies may well sell you a telephone like you need but I'm not sure they can work universally, ie not tied to a provider. brian
--
----- --

No you don’t with what you call a dongle.

There are plenty of voip phones sold by operations like Siemens, but not many that connect using wifi.
But almost all mobile phones will do voip over wifi.

On 14/08/2018 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Would not just about any smartphone with VoIP software on it not fit the bill?
--
Cheers,

John.
On 14/08/18 16:38, John Rumm wrote:

I agree. When I wanted a Skype phone some years ago I found it was cheaper and more versatile to buy a cheap smartphone (Moto E, since you asked) and run it without a sim card.
To the OP: is there anything unusual about the VoIP service you want to use?
Nick
op.plus.com> scribeth thus

No not at all a quite standard VoIP setup. The idea of using an app on a smart mobile phone sounds just what we need thanks to all who suggested that!...
--
Tony Sayer

On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 16:38:48 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

One option would be to use a DECT VoIP handset and base unit together with a WiFi client. The WiFi client would be connected to the base unit with an ethernet cable. DECT usually has much better range than WiFi and is better at working around interference as it has dynamic frequency hopping. Another option would be to use a desktop VoIP phone with a WiFi dongle plugged into it. Some SNOM phones have this capability, but care is needed to choose a dongle using a supported chipset as the SNOM phones do not have drivers for all chipsets.
John

We'd certainly miss the intercom & call-transfer facilities on DECT phones. Can they be replicated using wifi on PAYG Smart phones?
--
Robin

Yep,. some of the voip clients can do that stuff.

Not natively. You can do it on the VOIP side, but it needs some support from your service provider - essentially you have multiple extensions all with different VOIP logins. Alternatively you could run your own PABX using something like Asterisk, and the service provider is your upstream from there.
Theo
On 14/08/2018 23:04, Theo wrote:

Thanks. I have rejected the option of running my own PABX bearing in mind the probability of my mental decay and pre-deceasing 'er indoors. I'll look again at VOIP providers with that in mind.
--
Robin
On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 10:54:38 +0100, Robin wrote:

DECT

Or get a VOIP capable DECT base station and DECT handsets. Such as the Gigaset N300 IP. That can handle 6 VOIP accounts and a POTS line. That's what we have and works well. Wired ethernet to the base station, currently three DECT handsets wirelessly conected to that. You can select which handset(s) ring for a given incoming VOIP call and have different ringtones. Normal DECT paging and intercom facilties of course.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 15/08/2018 14:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Thanks, those do indeed look like a good fit.
--
Robin

I was assuming you have an existing DECT setup - if you just want to go VOIP you can either do the above, or keep your existing DECT system (since third-party handsets on a base from a different manufacturer will work but only provide the bare minimum of features) and put an ATA in front so it plugs into ethernet (or wifi) not the PSTN.
If you want to use smartphones then you get the VOIP features but not the DECT features, and replicating the DECT features with VOIP requires someone to implement PABX functions (which some ISPs do).
Theo
ark.greenend.org.uk> scribeth thus

Now using Zoiper and it works fine over wi-fi on an Motorola android phone:)
--
Tony Sayer

Failing that, most WiFi access points can be configured to act in client mode thus providing an ethernet to WiFi bridge - so will get a wired voip phone onto wifi.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 14/08/18 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

WiFi generally has too much jitter to handle voice well. Whilst that sort of thing hasn't been known to stop marketing departments, do you really want to encourage them?
On 14/08/2018 18:13, David Woolley wrote:

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can do "ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is unlikely to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.
I have a client site where they run data and VoIP between two offices on either side of a road. They are connected with a pair of directional WiFi bridges, and IME you can't tell the difference in voice quality when talking to someone in the office with the incoming ISDN lines directly, or via the WiFi to the VoIP phones across the road.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 15/08/18 02:01, John Rumm wrote:

The many Mbps is the burst rate once the device has found a clear bit of air time. The latency is waiting for that clear air time. Also VoIP bursts are very short, but there are many of them. They need to find clear air time 50 times a second, and they need to do so within a few milliseconds, each time.
In any case, I'm not going just on the theory. It is empirically reported by people who have tried it that Wifi doesn't work well for real time voice.

Works fine for me and I do it a lot.