Cable connection for broadband & phone

I wonder if someone who has had cable internet installed in a house that has never had cable could give me some idea of what is typically installed inside the house?

I would like Time Warner Cable to install the box and whatever else is needed on the outside and run the cable(s) into an attic vent and stop there. I'll take care of it from there on. So I would like to know what is typically installed inside besides the cable modem. TWC cust service says another "box" but could not tell me what that box was. I don't want to wait until the installer comes out.

I'll be getting broadband internet and one phone line. The internet cable will be new, going to an office, so that should be straightforward.

The phone is in the other end of the house. I wonder if TWC can connect to the existing phone wiring outside or if they will need to run a separate new cable to the phone?

Thanks!

SJ

Reply to
Sasquatch Jones

Are you getting the internet from TWC and I am not sure about how you are getting the phone. Is that a standard phone or an internet type phone ?

The cable will come in to just a junction box outside the house. From there it will be a run of rg-6 type cable to the office where you can either use their modem box or you can buy your own modem for about $ 25 and often save about $ 5 per month rent. You will also need to be where youcan plug the modem into a 120 volt outlet.

If the phone is comming from the internet connection, there will be a modem type box for that and it can be placed anywhere the cable is and probably a

120 volt AC outlet.

The other box is probalby just going to be a TV type splitter.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Unless TWC has exterior, weatherproof, cable modems (not likely), the only thing on the outside of the house is the incoming cable (maybe a lightning protector to a ground rod).

Cable modems are normally installed inside the house. It needs AC power. Usually somewhere near the PC, unless you are also installing a WiFi router for wireless Internet access in the house, or will run a long Ethernet cable from the modem to PC.

For TWC phone, either the cable modem will be a version with built-in VOIP phone capability, or it will be a separate box (that also needs AC), connected to the cable modem. Either way, you can tie it into the existing house phone wiring, depending on where you can get access to the existing wires. Also, *very important*, you must disconnect the incoming phone wires from your old phone co. Usually at a phone co box on outside of house.

Reply to
Retired

Ayep, keep in mind that a power failure will lead to no phone service if it is a VOIP phone service, they never mention that.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I actually don't meet your critieria, but...

They'll be happy to stop. The harder part is getting them to go as far as you want.

And for your own sake, it would be best if you have finished what you plan to do before they get there. So you can test the TW input. Even if they made a mistake, if you don't let them test or test yourself before they leave, I can envision a charge for a service call to come out another time and find even their own mistake. At least such a charge woudl be fair, even if they don't do it.

As to Time Warner I have no experience with them, but I'll bet it depends on what city youre in or even what part of town, or even which guy you get. IIRC, 15 years ago, the same company that provides cable in Baltimore would not provide cable to the room my brother in Dallas wanted. He had no basement and no floor in most of the attic, and they wouldn't go under the driveway, and going around back had lots of obstacles, and last I saw the cable, it was running down the hall, under a rug, from where they put it to where he wanted it. When I called the same company in Baltimore, they said they'd put in whatever room the customer picked.

Do the cable lines come in through the ground, or from the top of a telephone pole? If the ground, I'm surpised you'd be willing to let tw run the cable up the side of your house, rather than do that yourself**. Some places and/or some guys do things just right. better than I could do, but other times it's the opposite. I don't know about inside vs. outside quality, if it is different, but much cable comes in 10 colors. and can be stuffed in the corner next to the downspout (is that bad for transmission? I don't think so. )

**You might even want to install electricity in your attic (or run an extension cord??) , for the cable box, and so forth, or some other method to get the cable from the attic to electricity

IIUC, it's Pandora's Box.

Oh, good. Ignore some of the text above.

Reply to
micky

We have cable Internet and phone, without TV. There's a basic junction box outside. I think the phone wire comes from there, though I don't remember exactly. I just ran that phone wire to my old phone junction in the cellar, taking off the Verizon wire. The existing branch lines were fine just as they were. I didn't need to rewire the extension phones.

The cable just comes in to a cable modem, but most people will also have a router. I ran wires from the router, through walls, to provide outlets in various rooms without needing to resort to wifi. But the cable company only takes it to the cable modem.

The important thing is to avoid letting them do any more than necessary. Have them bring it in, from the outside wall, across the cellar ceiling, whatever, to a chosen location and then get rid of them! The chosen location can be anywhere if you're prepared to run your own cable from a router. But the installers *will not* be careful and neat. They'll put big ugly staples all the way around doors and windows to get across a room. They may complain if they know you intend to hide wires. I did that once in an apt where I lived. I was paying new wood floors and used the opportunity to bury the cables. Then we had a problem with the outside connection and had to call the cable company. They were upset that I'd buried the wires and threatened to force me to accept a whole new rewiring job. I finally got them to test the outside connection first and they found the problem.

They may refuse to go up to the attic. You might have to let them run it to one location that is believable as the final destination. They don't like you messing with the wiring yourself.

I would like Time Warner Cable to install the box and whatever else is needed on the outside and run the cable(s) into an attic vent and stop there. I'll take care of it from there on. So I would like to know what is typically installed inside besides the cable modem. TWC cust service says another "box" but could not tell me what that box was. I don't want to wait until the installer comes out.

I'll be getting broadband internet and one phone line. The internet cable will be new, going to an office, so that should be straightforward.

The phone is in the other end of the house. I wonder if TWC can connect to the existing phone wiring outside or if they will need to run a separate new cable to the phone?

Thanks!

SJ

Reply to
Mayayana

There is the cable modem and there is a phone interface - both of which need to be installed inside 0 and the phone interface can be connected to the existing internal wiring - INSIDE the house.

Reply to
clare

Connect your voip modem and your cable modem/router to a UPS. Connect your phone base to a UPS as well if it is a cordless or other electronic phone that requires power. That way you have phone service as long as the battery holds out.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca was thinking very hard :

Only if the street repeaters for the cable have power. :-Z

Old POTS phones relied on power only at the exchange which could have had a backup generator.

Reply to
John G

Thanks for all the good info so fast! After all that, here's what I'm thinking.... Let me know if I'm off.....

Have cable box installed on ouside wall -- with a cable splitter inside the box if possible. If not, install the splitter up near the attic vent.

Run the cable for internet thru attic vent (right above where the box would be) with enough cable to drop thru the ceiling in a closet near the computer, and connect to the cable modem.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca....

which need to be installed inside 0 and the phone interface can be connected to the existing internal wiring - INSIDE the house.

What about this? Instead of installing the phone interface inside, install it in the outside box or in a separate weather-proof box next to it. Connect the cable from the cable company to one side. Connect the exisiting phone wiring to the other side. That would prevent having to run a 2nd cable in or around the house and thru another ceiling. The attic or crawl space near the phone jack is diagonally opposite where the outside box will be. Also it's in a place that would be hard for the wife to get at. :O)

Reply to
Sasquatch Jones

Generally just had huge battery banks.

Reply to
clare

I think I've got the best "installer hell" story. When I worked in Livingston Zambia, the wait for a land line was over a year. A friend finally "won the lottery" and his chance to have a phone installed came. He was working so he left the key for the side entrance for the installer to get in. When he came home he could not get in the front door because the phone wire was tacked to the front door frame and run through the skeleton key hole in the latch....I guess the installer from the post office (operators of the phone system) figured they only used the side door since that's the key he was given.

We pulled the wire out and made a hole through the concrete wall to run it through.

Reply to
clare

Rogers Cable up here in Ontario actually did a pretty good job of running the cable to the first location - I wired the rest years ago and it worked well untill the switch to Digital and the higher speed high-speed cable internet. They came in and switched all the splitters and cable to the newer full sheild stuff. No cost to me, and I helped running the cable - The installer remarked about my proficiency and knowlege/understanding of the technology. (impressed that I had and knew how to use the correct tools and cable ends)

Reply to
clare

One reason I'd never buy a house without a basement. All my services come in underground. There is a "demarcation point" for the phone line inside the basement (where the phone cable terminates and all the interior extentions connect and plug in to a standard phone jack. To switch to MagigJack plus I just need to unplug from bell and plug into MagicJack. Same if I switch to Rogers Cable Home Phone..

My internet modem/router is about 6 feet from the demarcation point, and about 15 feet from where the TV cable comes in.. The phone/answering machine on the kitchen wall required power - which I have routed up the second pair of the phone cable from the power adapter connected to the 350 va UPS that also powers the router/modem/wifi access point where the MagicJack Plus will shortly also be installed. More than half an hour backup for the phone and internet.

Reply to
clare

I know my older comcast box had a battery. I assume my current box has one too. The trouble is, if you don't have a line operated phone, the phone goes off unless the base has a battery.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

inking.... Let me know if I'm off.....

he box if possible. If not, install the splitter up near the attic vent.

Assuming there even is a box. Here Cablevision just has a cable that enters the house. IDK what they are doing on new installs though, they may use a box now.

ld be) with enough cable to drop thru the ceiling in a closet near the com puter, and connect to the cable modem.

IDK about this separate "phone interface". AFAIK, here if you get phone service from the cable company they provide you with a cable modem that also contains the phone interface. Coming out of it, you have an ethernet or USB and a phone jack.

all it in the outside box or in a separate weather-proof box next to it.

You could theoretically put the cable modem with phone interface outside, but I don't see the need to. It also has some big disadvantages. It's typical for these to once in a while go into lala land and require them to be powered down and back up to reset. If you're having trouble and call fo r support, it's one of the first things they are going to tell you to do. Plus they need to be plugged in via a walwart to AC. Putting it inside, next to a wireless router, near your PC is the more typical approach and what I would do. It's better to have an ethernet connection from a desktop PC to the router. And then you have cable modem, wireless router, phone connection all in one spot when any debugging is needed. They also have lights on them that give status, which you won't be able to see in a box when it's 35F and raining outside. Are you planning on having a wireless router?

ng phone wiring to the other side. That would prevent having to run a 2nd cable in or around the house and thru another ceiling. The attic or crawl space near the phone jack is diagonally opposite where the outside box will be. Also it's >in a place that would be hard for the wife to get at. :O)

For phone, I'd probably forget about using the house twisted pair wiring. For most people, there isn't much need any more. Just get a cordless phone system, with answering machine, 4 phones, for $50 . Put it near the modem, router, etc and just plug it in. I have that, plus one connection to my MFC printer/fax. Can't remember last time I even sent a fax.....

Reply to
trader_4

What did TWC installers answer when you asked them?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

I jsut bought a all in one printer because I wanted a wireless printer and the FAX part. I needed to send a couple of FAX to my IRA bank. First time I have needed a fax in about 10 years. By catching one on sell, it is about the same as the ink refills.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery
[snip]

When I got cable phone, I tested the battery and found it would last 10 hours. Then a storm (Ike) came and power was out for a few days. The phone was usable for only 4 hours since that was how long the battery at the cable node lasted. It was another 24 hours before the cable company put a generator there.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

About 30 years ago I saw the inside of the exchange in Fort Worth, Texas. They had a lot of big batteries, most of which came from old submarines. The batteries were supposed to be able to operate the phone system for 24 hours, until a generator could be set up.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd