FIOS Telephone connection

I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly) for sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS device in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three weeks. The alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

Reply to
Bill Waller

You need to go to dslreports.com, to the verizon telco forum and post your question there.

There are several verizon sub-forums. This one is probably on-topic for you:

There is also a direct support forum:

You need to sign up to dslreports to post to either forum. To use the direct support forum, you have to give the name, address, phone number of the location you have an issue with, and a verizon tech will deal with the issue (you and the tech will be the only ones able to read your support thread).

Reply to
Home Guy

Verizon will install an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) on the premises which terminates the optical fiber coming from the pole. The ONT has standard RJ-11 jacks, the type used for all normal analog phones, answering machines, etc. The Verizon folks will connect the RJ-11 to the existing copper wiring on the premises, most likely using the same grounding and terminal block which was there originally.

Google "FIOS ONT" to get some better understanding of how it is installed and connected.

Reply to
Smarty

Some photos:

Smarty

They terminate the fiber in a box that has the 3 connectors (phone, CATV, Ethernet) necessary for the services they provide. They plug a cable into the phone jack and connect it to the existing phone wiring.

Reply to
George

There are alarm companies that use cell service, either primary or back up.

if you dont need internet or tv skip the phone service completely

Reply to
bob haller

Didn't they have to come to the house to do the first two things? Do they want to charge more to connect the phone!!??

If they didn't do it while they were there, they should come back for free.

Reply to
micky

They might want more if they have to run interior station wire from the FIOS box to the existing phone line. Telcos used to do all this for free but these days they are like the airlines. Everything is extra.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sure.

OTOH doesn't FIOS turn into a normal modular phone jack (RJ-11?), by the time itgets inside the house? It's got to do that eventually or every phone would need a special connector.

I"m looking at the pictures Smarty pointed to

it seems like there's a box outside the house with an RJ-11 jack.

Maybe the OP doesn't realize he is supposed to open the door to the box and plug his house in?

Shouldn't Verizon have done that for him. When for the sake of testing my house wring, they put in an exterior box for me 10 years ago, with my regular copper wire, they put a modular plug on the wire from my house, and plugged my house into their jack.

If I had FIOS, it would come to the same corner of the house where the copper comes now.

Reply to
micky

The FIOS Tech should have connected the existing phone line from the pole going into the house to the ONT.

Like others have posted if they didn't they have to come back and connect it. The tech that did mine tested the phones to make sure they were connected.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Note well- you want to DISCONNECT the old copper drop at the old demarc, assuming Verizon didn't rip it out already. The FIOS box (around here, at least) is usually inside the house, and they back-feed the wiring in basement, or in the phone socket closest to the computer. No biggy, just unplug it, and tape a note to the rj11 jumper, so somebody doesn't plug it back in.

Some areas, telco outright removes the copper service drop, to keep people from changing their mind when the bills start rolling in.

I assume alarm company's line-seizure block would need to be next to the FIOS box, with the house on the downstream side.

Reply to
aemeijers

I am sorry that I did not make myself clear. The TV and Internet portion of the FIOS service has been in place for well over a year. The phone service is new.

There are no Verizon installers/techs available. They want more money, and the project does not have time to wait for them to settle their dispute with the company.

The phone line has been activated. That is a software switch from the service center. The new phone number IS active.

I was only asking where the RJ was sot that the alarm company can plug in and test the rebuild of the security system.

I would like to thank any and all who responded. I did a little research, which I should have done earlier, and think I have found the elusive RJ-11.

__________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

I was a network technician for Verizon FiOS a few years ago. We would get many trouble reports regarding some alarm systems not working with the FiOS phone service for some reason. It had something to do with internal wiring from the alarm box to the house copper wiring. Hopefully you won't have that problem.

Reply to
badgolferman

FIOS], to keep

I believe they do that, but didn't I read here that was a violation of a federal reg?

Reply to
micky

The phone number is active but what about the phone? Can they can use the phone? And here the guy on the other end of the call? We like plain English here. :-)

I would think the alarm company would know how to do that without your help.

Reply to
micky

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

When we got FiOS, switching from DSL, I made a halfhearted attempt to have them leave the copper, but no luck. The tech installed and connected the ONT to the fiber, took the phone line from the ONT and connected it to my existing distribution block (whatever the thingy is called). That has worked fine ever since, through a 3-4 extended power outages over the years (6-8) where cell phone service remained. The TV and internet portions were connected to existing coax and cat5, respectively. Then the "TV guide" portion of the TV info was split off the modem via extra coax.

Reply to
Han

Did I say anything about a phone? There is NO phone. Just a phone service. There is NO copper in the house. It was ripped out during demolition. Is that English plain enough for you?

"here" is a place; "hear" is to with perceive a sound with the ear. Don't criticize my English until you learn how to use the language properly, yourself.

I would think that as well. The problem is, if you read the original post, I am not on site, but 300 miles away. I have to trust the general and his chosen subs to get this job done as expeditiously as possible and when question arise, I have to try to provide whatever information I can.

__________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

Thanks for the input. At this time, there is no internal communication wiring in the house, with the exception of whatever Verizon installed when they put in the TV and Internet. All of the old telco cable (25pr) has been torn out, or so badly mangled that it has been rendered totally useless. Part of the contract it to replace the old cabling.

__________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

my experience with FIOS SUCKED, the internet part worked fine, at the time tv wasnt available yet..

the phone part was a nightmare........

echos, noise every 12th call or so, backup battery failure in less than 4 months they wanted to charge me for that, my box beeped alarm for over a week, drove us nuts, verizon reps didnt know there was a silence alarm button.......

the the service was basically unusable, verizon held me to the contract, refused to fix the problems, the worst the unusable noisey call every 12th call finally traced to a bad router in the CO. to get this fixed i had to call for 3 months, finally calling every business day for 3 weeks only to be told every time it as my interior wiring, even though tech number 1 noted problem reproduced with home completely disconnected....

one road tech told his supervisor the problem was a bad router at the central office, 3 months later a network tech finally called and fixed it within 15 minutes.

moved the number over to copper, ordered verizon to STOP SOLICITING ME.....

good luck with that repeated reps at door, got mad they woudnt leave me alone, so i cancelled my outgoing call plan on my business line......

idiots cancelled my entire outgoing line completely twice.

i changed phone companies over that and hate verizon.......

this is just a overview of the troubles i had, and misses a lot.

geez all i wanted was a working phone line

Reply to
bob haller

On 9/25/2011 8:57 AM, Bill Waller wrote: (snip)

Wow- you had 25pr inside wiring at a residence? Was it used as a home office or something?

If all the wiring is gone, and the walls and/or basement ceiling are open, have the GC or alarm company's wiring sub home-run cat 6 from every plausible room back to a punch-down block at a convenient location, ideally near where the alarm system box is. Unless house is huge, a single 110 block should suffice. Then have an additional dedicated run to wherever the FIOS box is, for the incoming feed. Tell them you want a pre-wire so whoever buys house has options open- don't have to install the outlets or punch down the drops (other than the line-seize box for the alarm), just have them in wall boxes in the rooms. If you want to make the place tempting to computer geeks, put double runs to locations where computers may be desired, in case they want a hard-wired home network. All cables should be labeled, of course, referring back to a diagram nailed to wall near punch-down block.

(No, I'm not a big fan of cordless phones or wi-fi. Sometimes stone-age is best.)

Reply to
aemeijers