OT: wetwipes down the bog

They often don't get as far as the sewage works.

I share a sewage underground pipe with 4 other houses and on the two occasions that we've had a blockage the likely culprit seems to have been a non-destructible wet wipe. It acts as the catalyst for the blockage by catching on something, then slowing down the crap behind it and trapping the solids.

Reply to
alan_m

Don't give them ideas. Ours would be blocking all the time from the leaves that manage to get in (despite covers). Leaves that aren't even ours ... they almost all come from council owned trees on the verges!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In the UK we tend to use fluffy paper that disintegrates at the sight of water. The situation with blockages may be made a lot worse if we all used the old style hard toilet paper or some of that recycled paper products sold by some supermarkets which seems to be almost waterproof.

Reply to
alan_m

We had a similar problem. After many years, the pipe collapsed completely in two places and had to be partially replaced.

Even then, it continued to block - if for instance heavy rain cleared out leaves from the gutters.

When they finally camera'd it, they found a slight dip in the pipe. That was apparently enough.

Once the remainder of the pipe was replaced, with a proper, straight, descending run, the problem went away and we haven't had another blockage for years.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not clear that it is possible to do non plastic wet wipes.

After all, if they dissolve in water in the sewer, they arent going to be viable wet wipes before going down the bog.

Reply to
John Angus

Ah. Thinking about it, I suppose it would have to be done in some automated way.

Still, somehow, that's all got to be disposed of...

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Fark. Did they say what they do with them ?

Reply to
John Angus

They are not going into the foul drain.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

We use Pampers wet wipes after cleaning with paper, so the wet wipes are not all that shitty. We have a small pedal bin in the bathroom just for the used wet wipes. You'd think the bin would stink to high heaven but the wet wipes contain enough soap and disinfectant to stop that completely.

Reply to
GB

Apparently it costs more to wipe your bottom in Britain than in any other country in Europe. Mainly because we like that extra soft feel.

Pamela

I know but I prefer to avoid that. There's no need to emulate unsatisfactory methods.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I've explained why it doesn't matter, and the motive the water industry has for saying it does. You are one of those that believe what you're told, and you instinctively believe we should all do as we're told. You would have been more at home in Mao's China.

As usual you jump to conclusions.

If by my 'disgusting habit' you mean flushing wet wipes, why do you assume that I do that? I was discussing the pros and cons. And if you think that flushing wet wipes qualifies as a disgusting habit you must have led a very sheltered life. I could tell you about some real disgusting habits if you want your mind broadening.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

So unblock it then, automatically or manually.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Did they say what proportion of solid material was wet wipes? Did they say what the wet wipes were as a proportion of total throughput? No, of course not. As usual the media are telling half-truths and lies by omission. Anything for a headline.

Do you believe everything you're told by the media?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well it's only landfill isn't it? There's no shortage of places to land fill. The landfill tax is a total con.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Many of the the social housing tenants would just carry on as normal knowing that the landlord would see to it.

How would the disabled cope with it?

The rich would make their servants do it. The almost rich would use a contractor. The poor would wallow in shit.

No, the proper answer is the communist one: make the sewers better so they don't block and clear out all the insolubles in one fell swoop. Economies of scale, you see.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Luckily we still retain vestiges of civilisation in this country, despite the influences of the invading hoards. Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's the most common cause of blocked sewers.

That's another reason. Mother Nature -- what an idiot not making the leaves biodegradable enough!

Lack of investment.

Not wet wipes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I think part of the difficulty is when they contribute to fat bergs that completely block sewers before they even get as far as the treatment plant.

Reply to
John Rumm

on many older places with combined sewers, they will be. Separate foul and surface water drains are a relatively new idea.

Reply to
John Rumm