Toilet paper septic (does it dissolve or not)

I've had a septic system for 15 years and never had it pumped out. Yet I see neighbors pumping theirs every 3 years.
All I put down mine is crap and TP and pee (sorry for being blunt).
1. Pee just drains away. 2. Crap (I assume) dissolves itself (bacteria) over time. 3. But what about the TP?
Does the TP dissolve like the crap dissolves? Or does the TP eventually fill the tank up?
(Why doesn't mine fill up then?)
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 04:17:41 -0000 (UTC), Martim Ribeiro

It dissolves eventually, brand dependent. Some are worse than others. Charmin (and similar) is supposed to be the worst.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 00:32:09 -0500, in alt.home.repair snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Now we're getting personal, but to let you know, I use Kirkland, the cheapest stuff they sell.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 30 Jan 2017 19:12:18 -0000 (UTC), Martim

Just don't use Tyvek brand.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 21:56:25 -0500, in alt.home.repair micky wrote:

I wonder if it makes economic sense to install a bidet instead of a. Buying toilet paper for the rest of my life, and, b. Pumping out the septic system every X years.
Anyone have a bidet aftermarket installed? The problem, I think, is that warm water isn't normally at the toilet.
How do they solve the problem of piping warm water to the aftermarket bidet?

You think you won't use paper after squirting water on your butt?

Never had one, but with limited flow, the water is going to start out near room temperature.
--
Dan Espen

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 10:25:53 -0500, in alt.home.repair Dan Espen wrote:

Good question. I don't know the answer.
I can only say that I've stayed in peole's houses with bidets in other countries where they use a small hand towel to blot up the (clean) water.
It should be no different than the towel you use after taking a shower, with respect to how clean your butt should be after using the bidet.

I think the warm water issue is the biggest one.
Dunno how bidets work, but you're not gonna have a gas-fired one, so, it's either electricity or it has hot water piped to the toilet.
With electricity, I can see maintaining a temperature being easy. With hot water piped in, I can see it might be like what it's like in most showers, where the first few seconds are too cold and the last few seconds too hot, with a goldilocks zone needing to be dialed in manually.

There's a sceptic tank additive you can get at a hardware store that helps break down solid waste.
Uncle Monster wrote :

An sdditive for a sceptic tank seems suspicious to me. It probably doesn't work anyway.
On 1/30/2017 3:07 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

It's a waste of money. You don't need to reactivate the bacteria. Even if killed by gallons of bleach, it would wash through and poop reactivate.
On 01/29/2017 11:17 PM, Martim Ribeiro wrote:

Apparently your neighbors are smarter than you.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 08:09:15 -0500, in alt.home.repair burfordTjustice wrote:

I asked a few neighbors today, where there are two types it seems (I asked in email so I had a good sample of a handful of replies).
Some do it every three years. Others never do it.
I'm not sure what the difference is since they all must be built to the same code.

If they are doing it every 3 years, someone has convinced them they need it. I doubt they experience back ups or overflow every 3 years.
I'm in the never camp.
--
Dan Espen

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 19:12:17 -0000 (UTC), Martim Ribeiro

I have mine pumped about every 5 or 6 years.

Our Township requires us to pump every three years
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 04:17:41 -0000 (UTC), Martim Ribeiro

At some point yours may need more than just a pumping. May be five more years, may be next week. It won't be forever.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 05:58:00 -0500, in alt.home.repair Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I can easily understand what you're saying, but some of my neighbors said they've gone easily 20 years without a problem while others say they pump every 3 years, so, something is very weird here with the answers.
Why I need to rely on you is that it's crazy when you google for what happens to the toilet paper in a home septic tank system. https://www.google.com/search?q=does+toilet+paper+dissolve+in+septic
You never get an answer to the question!
What you get is a list of toilet papers that are "better" than others. OK. But that's not really the question (although I guess it's part of the answer.)
The main question is does the stuff eventually biodegrade to nothing or does it eventually need to be pumped out.
Googling for what happens to the poop: https://www.google.com/search?q=does+poop+dissolve+in+septic
Again, it's amazing that you never get the answer straight. Most of the answers are from companies selling septic system cleaning, so, I guess that's why you can't get a straight answer out of the web?
On 1/30/2017 2:12 PM, Martim Ribeiro wrote:

There is no one answer for everyone. Take the simple parts like a four person family that does the same laundry, same diet and excrement etc. but put them a few miles apart.
Variables start with the results of the perc test. How big a system? What is the soil composition? Water table, trees, and a bunch of other things that affect the overall life of the system. Best to have it checked once in a while.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 30 Jan 2017 19:12:15 -0000 (UTC), Martim

That means to me that you can go forever unless something goes wrong, and by having someone check it every so many years, mayyybe he'll see that it is more full than it shoudl be, and he'll do something about it
So that you wont' have a so-called emergncy where your toile won't flush and have to pay extra for him to come out on Xmas eve. Some people think avoiding a weekend tthey can't use the water is worth paying when there is no problem, some people want local proof that this can happen, and others will go to the supermarket to use the bathroom rather than pay for a cleaning they might need. The odds are, in an "emergency" you can get someone to come out during regular work hours and, if you're willing to call around, will only have to wait from 3PM on Monday to 4PM on Tuesday. Or from 6PM on Monday to 10AM on Wednesday.
I think part of the service is to add more of those microbes that do the eating, even though they are randy little devils and have been know to make their own babies. You should ask and not rely on me.
And of course some of the services add something to kill the microbes so that they can come back again in 6 months.. Just kidding.
On 1/29/2017 11:17 PM, Martim Ribeiro wrote:

Toilet paper composts but it is not a good idea not to have your system pumped occasionally. If you wait until solids spill over into field you might have an expensive problem.