Plumbing the bog - tips of the trade?

Hi,

Fedex have my tile cutters in the depot (went for the Screwfix Erbauer table saw and the Rubi 40 thingy DIY score-n-snap in the end).

Which means, fingers crossed, floor tiling and bog installation real soon now.

Now, in the "old days" bog pan connectors sometimes came with a sachet of thick grease.

Is it worth putting anything on the bog spigot like silicone or some grease, to help prolong the effectiveness of the seal? I've got the Polyplumb 90 degree 110 connector which keeps the pipe large all the way to the bog spigot, rather than thinning it down to 80 or so mm like all the pan connectors in B&Q. Spigot seal is single flap rubber.

Ditto for the flush pipe to bog push in connector (this is a high level flush chromed pipe into rubber bung into back of bog affair)?

I already asked about siliconing the bog to the floor and I will be doing that a-la matchsticks - though I'll put screws in too because I'm like that (and have a fat **** so over engineering is a Good Thing).

Ta as always

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Don't use grease, you want the spigot connector to stay on, not pop off at an inopportune moment.

I used liquid soap on mine, makes the pan outlet easier to get on, and is water soluble, so doesn't stay slippery.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

zymurgy coughed up some electrons that declared:

OK cheers. I will have some lateral restraint (pipe clip or wood block) behind the pipe to stop catastrophic flying logs related failure.

Reply to
Tim S

Don't use grease, you want the spigot connector to stay on, not pop off at an inopportune moment.

I used liquid soap on mine, makes the pan outlet easier to get on, and is water soluble, so doesn't stay slippery.

Cheers,

Paul.

I've just fitted mine (hideaway cistern) and used a drop of liquid soap - bloody thing just kept popping off so I had to clean every last drop off before it would stay put. I don't trust it one bit now so will need to wedge it on somehow. Grrrrrr.

Reply to
Franko

When I fitted my new bog (some time ago, different house) I used silicone grease between the pan and the pipe.

Allowed me to position it easily and take it out and put it back a couple of times whilst I got everything sorted.

I can't see that silicone lubricant is in any way a risk in soil pipe joints - this isn't a high pressure connection but should be as gas and water tight as possible at low pressure.

IIRC I bought a tub of silicone grease for use on all the push fit soil and grey water joints. Seemed to work O.K. and was recommended by various people at the time. I think that the guide with the pipework recommended using it as well.

YMMV.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Silicone grease or silicone spray (better IMO) doesn't prolong the life of the seal, it just makes it much easier to get the spigot fully home into the multiquick. If the pan is secured to the floor properly it can't 'pop off'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not contradicting the others, but I always use a small amount of silicone grease to ease assembly. Most of the ones I have seen go on at least an inch or more, so the chances of it coming off by accident seem remote. Obviously, if yours ends up under tension you may want to think carefully about adding lube.

same again. The pipe will presumably be fixed in position by clips onto the wall anyway?

I hope the **** was in lieu of "butt" and not "wife" or else you are in trouble ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well I don't mean slather it on, just a fingerful around the rubber gasket.

It's less permanent than grease, as it'll just flush away.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy