Hot plastering

I've had an excellent plasterer in for the last couple of days, making a start on my renovated first floor. The water supply upstairs is currently just tails with service valves, behind the bathroom to be. Helpfully, I rigged up a standpipe for him so he wouldn't have to keep going up and down stairs with his bad knee.

Last night I found a frantic note, asking if I could stop hot water coming out of his standpipe. Possibly I should have checked which tail I'd taken the supply from.

Apparently it's really hard to plaster with hot water ... He'd been filling all his buckets in one go and hoping the water would cool down before he had to use it.

Oops.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I've never tried, but I would guess it would cause the plaster to set too quickly. Plaster setting is quite an exothermic reaction anyway (i.e. gives off quite a bit heat as it sets). If you mix up some old plaster which then sets in a few minutes in the bucket, that actually gets very hot because the heat can't escape fast enough.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Zackly. He was having to work quite rapidly ;-)

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

must be worth turning the combi up higher for a giggle? :>) loved to have seen his face after that day!!!!

jimK

Reply to
jim