OT: How the electric car revolution could backfire

As many will have seen there have been trials of such a system.

Yes I was musing about something like that as well, not necessarily by conventional Railway but by 2040 many major roads like Motorways will be so controlled as will the passage of vehicles along them by external control that using them will be more like driving a train where if you step out of line the systems take over control. In such an environment where it will no longer be possible by bending the rules and doing a tad more than the official limit people by that time may well be used to just sitting there while the vehicle either completely makes progress or the driver has very little input in any decision. As such it may be preferable to sit as a passenger and pass the time watching telly, eating, working on a device, shagging the missus or whatever. So if you have a vehicle engineered for shorter journeys it gets loaded onto something like a car transporter which takes you on the long legs . Sounds dead boring for people like me in our 60's but the twenty somethings now seem to prefer communicating on media devices rather than actually drive so will not find it too drastic.

What could be could be affected by the mass change to non IC cars is the aftermarket tuning industry , electric drive systems would seem to offer far less scope for modifications that IC engines have where numerous things can be changed , no big exhausts for the Kevins of the future or revving the engine to say "look at me". Has any mention been made of Motorcycles? Electric ones exist but there must be point where the need for stored power is less because they are lighter crosses to lees range than a car because the car can have more batteries in proportion to size.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

on 27/07/2017, Dave Plowman (News) supposed :

The faster the recharge, the more current is needed, the more current the bigger the source supply. Add a few cars, vans, lorries being all being recharged at the services at the same time and it would need some serious mains incomers to feed it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Indeed, my Auris doesn't have a starter motor. I think it uses the electric motor instead.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Chris Hogg laid this down on his screen :

Why bother with a conventional motor, you could use a linear motor drive.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sounds like a line from Little Britain.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

sound effects?

Reply to
charles

What is going to stop it changing?

Reply to
dennis

Not around here it isn't. Some even have car charging points on every house. It was a planning condition.

Reply to
dennis

Well you wouldn't buy one then for that sort of journey then would you. At the moment you have a choice of some that will if you don't wish to cripple yourself to less than that it remains to be seen if electric can be developed to easily achieve that range or be able to start a similar journey again within minutes of stopping to refuel in a car with similar characteristics to those on the roads now, ie carry five people and a dog plus luggage going up the M6 on a cold foggy night with heaters wipers and all appropriate lights on not something made from butterfly wings and spider webs in some concept lab driven by a six stone anorexic Vegan who will substitute practicality for green principles. Journeys longer than 400miles are not that common for many people but for those that do them it does matter, for a time a former school chum did North Devon to Aberdeen regularly around 600 miles, he and a colleague worked on the rigs and shared the driving .

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

That's the emergency power supply - when the battery dies everyone plugs their phone in to make the bus work again.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They have time restrictions on parking on them around here. They get a ticket with 100% certainty.

Mind you some drivers are stupid.. we have had a bus only road here for years now and last year the council put a camera on it to enforce it. The first two weeks they just sent out warning letters. Since then they have issued over a million pounds in fines. Some of the people have multiple fines.

Reply to
dennis

I suppose we could pull down millions of houses on housing estates from Victorian times and later where there's nowhere to charge one, and rebuild. Might need a bit more space, though. Hmm yes, perfectly do-able.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Presumably lots more will close between now and then, the cutoff point of 2040 may make it uneconomic to maintain investment in such things for a considerable time before 2040 so from say 2030 it may be even harder to obtain liquid fuels as existing facilities become life expired. That isn't really that far away and many vehicles leaving dealerships now will still be on the road in 13 years. That could be interesting in as what it does to depreciation figures, while there is no indication at the moment that existing vehicles will not be able to be used after 2040 if you cannot easily obtain fuel starting from a period before that people may have to change to electric for that reason, even if in by 2030 or 2035 they are still not developed enough to seamlessly substitute with their former vehicle. In such circumstances it may be that people with the more polluting Diesel vehicles keep them longer compared to petrol ones because Diesel is safer to store in cans or even in larger quantities, there rules to be followed for home tanks but not as stringent as those for petrol.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Where's this bus-only road with respect to the estate? Through the middle? Is it the only access road for the estate (or area)? Are people with cars supposed to build take-off ramps so they can fly over this private road to another? A google maps ref might be useful.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It does... even though the more modern ones have heat pump air con units to improve the efficiency of heating a bit. Some also allow a storage preheat facility that allows you to heat the car while its still connected to the mains. They can presumably do some more with thermal insulation to assist as well.

I would be interested to know how well their AC systems work though since some "normal" AC systems can consume 10 BHP or so, and "wasting"

5+ kW on AC seems excessive on cars with less than 25 kWh of total capacity.
Reply to
John Rumm

That doesn't actually make much sense. How much gain are you expecting in a car? The AC will have a COP of at least 2 and probably nearer 3 so 5kw is

10+kw of heat extraction. My conservatory only uses 1600W to cool it and that is 5kW extraction. There is a lot more solar gain than a car.
Reply to
dennis

Don't be silly.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5188112,-1.9943305,3a,75y,67.82h,77.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSXK9j2T87cE5KhT3UbzleQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

dennis

Clot !.

Reply to
Andrew

Boom Boom. I was just going to post the same comment.

Nothing backfired quite like my old 1972 VW 1600 fastback (sloping roof, not the combi-estate version). Coming back on the last train on a windless cold slightly foggy October night in 1985, it backfired on starting so violently that it blew a hole in the exhaust.

There was a huge cloud of smoke and carbon with my headlights peering through the murk in the station carpark.

every dog in the village was barking furiously and the road up to my house is quite a steep incline so the noise was apalling. Must have woken up the entire village on that 1 mile trip. :-).

Reply to
Andrew

It's the demisting on cold and/or wet weather that will be the killer. That and getting into an electric car,soaking wet and no means of drying out with the heater and air-con.

Reply to
Andrew