OT: How the electric car revolution could backfire

so, an hour's stop every 2 hours?

Reply to
charles

When you add the problems of heating homes when we're all supposed to switch from gas to electricity, our ancient housing stock, and the projected population growth, I think all this worry about commuting in EVs will be irrelevant. Most of the population will have to move to urban apartments (which offer massive reductions in energy need) and go to work on foot (with lifts and travelators).

That'll free up a lot more land for wind farms, agriculture - and of course ponds for fish farming - to try to feed the huddled masses.

Reply to
Robin

definitely slower, Being going to and from Edinburgh for 55 years.

Reply to
charles

When I was working on our campervan (engine stuff) there was nothing nicer than the smell of a breakfast cooking coming from inside. ;-)

If we had the time, space and money, I'd like something like a Ford Transit Tourneo to turn into a 'weekender'.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They think there is still plenty of fruit to pick from the magic money tree.

No they won't unless things change a lot.

Unless they ban the sale of petrol and/or diesel.

Is there a ban on incandescect lamps?

Reply to
Mark

Too late. They are so many place where this is not feasible.

Reply to
Mark

I'm sure that whilst you aren't alone, that would be for from the norm.

Yes, there are bound to be 'some people' who do such for work (but we weren't really talking about them) and I'm sure there are those who regularly drive from Lands End to J.o.G, but they probably don't represent the norm.

I would also say 'most people' could use an electric car for their day to day stuff and use a hire car for the longer trips (especially pre planned ones). I bet the number that actually *need* a specific car (subject to it being big enough) eg, one with a roof box or towbar.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We seem to be managing with a vastly reduced number of petrol pumps as of a few years ago. Despite car usage being greater.

And of course the majority will charge their car at home. In much the same way as they probably use the same filling station for most of their fuel.

But surely that is a good thing? Don't want that nasty EU telling us what to do. Free choice is everything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And how does the camera know who needs "access"?

Reply to
Mark

Absolutely none. Hence asking. Too much guessing already about such things.

What I do think everyone knows is that battery life depends very much on quality as well as type. If anything like power tools.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hadn't really thought about that? Was I thinking about trams then?

Interesting, thanks.

Quite. ;-)

Wow, that was a stretch.

Cool. ;-)

Ah.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They are extremely pedestrian when running petrol only - and heavier on fuel too than a conventional car. So zero point in using a knackered one as a mini cab.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

i ned to carry a harp both locally & long distance. No, I can't put it in a roof box.

Reply to
charles

same way as the Thames crossing knows you've paid.

Reply to
charles

is that "need" or "want"? With apologies if I am prying into medical matters!

Reply to
Robin
[Well, who cares?]

So, which is it, anti-Semite or hypocrite? We already know you're a racist bigot.

Reply to
Huge

Well, stopping for a pee on a motorway can result in a fine. And is extremely dangerous.

I'm in SW London, so easy access to the west, so M40. M40, M6, M72, M8, M90, A94, A92. About 9 hours running time, traffic permitting. It's longer than the A1 - but quicker. Assuming you cruise at 70 mph.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you predicting the range of an electric car in 20 years time to be only about 150 miles? You can get better than that today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A harp is a musical instrument, not a medical aid. Yes, I could keep at home, not go to music lessons, play with others in a group, or attend the International Harp Festival. So, I suppose it is my choice. Die of boredom, no thanks.

Reply to
charles

And how much time would you allow to go from Edinburgh to Aberdeen? And how long to Edinburgh? Starting from where in the SE?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)