OT:EU, our friend and ally?

Quite.

Indeed; even if there were agreement on the extremist objectives.

"May" being the important word there. I don't see any hard evidence that there will be a second referendum.

Which was a lie.

Quite. Inflation is already rising.

Reply to
Mark

I really hope that isn't the case ... but I think my *hopes* carry as much way as the Brexiteer *hopes* do. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

1) It's nothing to do with me, not my idea in the first place. 2) I didn't vote so not sure what you think my 'preferred outcome' would be? 3) That Farige bloke stated that unless the result went 2/3rds majority to Remain, he wouldn't consider it a win. Till it went near 50:50 win to leave, then suddenly it was ok?

So, I would go along with Farige and say for *any* result to be considered the 'will of the people', it would have to be at least a

2/3rd majority.

I (personally) would be happy to go along with any decision gained from such a system (as it seems many other political system seem to do).

HTH?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

One of the problems of the referendum was that it was badly thought out from the beginning.

Reply to
Mark

Mark pretended :

What politicians telling porkies, never!

Who could tell with any certainty what remaining or exiting might bring? I based my decision based on experience, gut feeling and a lot of what I considered to be unbiased reading.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

And maybe not even the right tool to decide such things in the first place.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Quite.

No one, even now and even with loads of uncertainty. ;-)

Of the UK leaving the EU?

Ok, that's honest.

OOI, how confident were you after all that you made the right decision? I appreciate they were the only two official choices but there were other (democratic) options (like not voting at all (counted as no vote) or spoiling your paper (counted as a spoiled paper)).

My 'gut feeling' was that most of the information out there at the time was propaganda and that no one could actually or accurately predict the final outcome.

However, one thing we knew 100% was how we were doing at the time and

*if* the EU was going to implode as some say, it might not happen for many years to come and we could always bail then ... or when this actually (in a way 'most people' could actually see) happened.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The leader of the opposition doesn't surrender - he simply becomes their "friend".

Reply to
JoeJoe

Well, and the time to do that is at the polling station.

LibDems, the only political party openly promising that (or even more that that - i.e. to all but ignore the referendum result), were clear winners, were they? A golden opportunity missed for all their supporters + remoaners.

Reply to
JoeJoe

I guess you don't like surrender so you must be happy for us to continue to fight your mistake. Now shut up as you agree with what we are doing!

Reply to
dennis

Lievers like TNP think they will be fine on the index linked benefits they get.

Reply to
dennis

Many people use the term interchangeably ...

'All the Europeans coming over here ...' / 'all the people coming over from the EU ...' / 'all the people coming over here from Europe'.

Some even just have an issue with the 'Eastern Europeans' ('coming over here and ...').

What a bizarre extrapolation.

See above. Many people also have no issues with 'the EU' but with the people it is populated by ... especially 'when they come over here ... '.

Or they though they had a problem with them because they thought they were all 'illegal immigrants', which of course, because of the free movement of people within the EU, they were not.

Most of the people some refer to as 'illegal immigrants' aren't illegal but refugees that are not allowed to work, or have come in though the relevant control ... and some of course, are illegal and risk being rounded up by Immigration Control and 'returned home'.

Few people I'm aware of have any issue with the actual landmass we call Europe or the EU.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I meant to also add this link: ;-)

And this: ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Rather different scenario to Scotland and Catalonia.

"Top European Union leaders are expected to offer full EU membership to Northern Ireland on the condition that it abandons the UK to become part of the Republic of Ireland".

Reply to
bert

In article , Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp writes

As yet the EU haven't come up with any legal obligation to justify any exit bill and until they do it isn't on the table.

Reply to
bert

That quite a number of them are still in conflict with you and are still arguing with you rather than surrendering to the concept that your views are the one true superior path to be worshiped without question like followers of a cult must obey the leader without hesitation is enough to make that statement just plain wrong.

Brexit as an idea could have had a lot going for it if handled skillfully and with respect to those we have to negotiate with. Unfortunately the leave voters are such a mixed bag with different reasons for voting leave that no negotiators seem to be coherent enough to carry it through. As with other government decisions we don't seem to have any statesmen mowadays. Politicians are just not good at the job anymore,probably because it is now such a shit job who would want to do it.

Brexit will happen but after the event those who voted to leave will like all those factions in the middle east start to be in conflict with each other as to who to blame because their particular cause has not come about.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

And we have debts of ?2trillion or so and a budget deficit of ?60bn or so. Our "wealth" is largely made up of the notional value of our housing. I personally think looking at GDP has become somewhat misleading as a measure of a mixed/service economy. Seems to contain lots of multiple accounting but I wouldn't claim to understand the calculation to any great degree.

Reply to
bert

I guess you mean the one who's waiting for his ?450 million a week.

Reply to
pamela

Nice article. "Aw, crumbs. What exactly have we done?"

Reply to
pamela

The next general election may not be all that far away.

Reply to
pamela