Well it WOULD have been a gloat!

I stoped by my local Woodcraft today and out front was an 80% off table, so of course I had to rummage through it. As I waded through Akadia attachments, various plans and bits & pieces of stuff what do I find? A 2-5/8ths inch Hock plane blade and some japanese laminated blades for Stanley 9-1/2 and 9 block planes. So in I go and ask if they know if the Hock will fit my Miller Falls 18 jointer and if either of the laminated blades will fit my Stanley 60-1/2P low angle block plane. Well, they didn't know about the Miller Falls but the Hock would fit a Stanly 7 or 8 they said and I was sure the Miller Falls 18 was a copy of a Stanley 7. They said the 9-1/2 should be the same blade as the 60-1/2 but I would have to grind the right bevel. So, I bought a new Hock blade for $9.40 (listed at $46.99) and a japanese laminated block plane blade for $7.20 (listed at $35.99) and was feelin' good.

Got home and the Hock was too wide for the Miller Falls 18 - damn! Then out came the 60-1/2. The new blade was the right width, but the cutout was too big and the adjuster didn't fit the adjuster slots in the blade - double damn. So I can't gloat on either blade. Now I have to decide whether to just sell the blades on ebay and make a buck or 2 or try to find a deal on a old user Stanley

8 and Stanley 9-1/2.

Does anyone know for sure which planes a Hock 2-5/8ths blade fits (any Miller Falls)? Also does anyone know if a stanley 9 blade will fits a 60-1/2? (They still have a couple of laminated blades for a 9 at Woodcraft). BTW all sales were final.

Since I hate to post about a gloat gone bad without any good news, I did get a set of 4 roundover/beading Woodcraft 1/2" router bits at the 80% off table for $11. Also, a friend gave me a heavy older Columbian woodworking vise that came out of a High School shop. Works great. Did a little clean-up and attached a couple new boards for the jaw faces and then installed on the bench. So a good day was had irregardless of the plane blade fiasco.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Dave Hall said:Got home and the Hock was too wide for the Miller Falls 18 - damn! Then out came the 60-1/2. The new blade was the right width, but the cutout was too big and the adjuster didn't fit the adjuster slots in the blade - double damn.

Heh, he said "irregardless"! Sorry, couldn't help myself. Some nice scores, I'm sure. What about making your own planes with these irons? Is it possible? I need to learn more about these things.. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

On 21 Jun 2004 05:25:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comEDY (Tom) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

"He" saud?

You correct grammar and reply in the 1/3 person?

Reply to
Old Nick

Old Nick wrote:>"He" saud?

Yep! But, I apologized! Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Regardless of your disdain for my use of irregardless, I will continue to use it, as I like it ;) Irregardless of my enjoyment of the word it is in my Funk & Wagnalls - "adv. Regardless: a nonstandard or humorous usage". Must be that humorous usage that got ya!

Dave Hall

BTW I am sure that others on the list could make a wooden plane befitting a Hock or a japanese laminated blade, but I feel that my attempts wouldn't do the blades justice - irregardless of my efforts ;)

Reply to
David Hall

All it takes to become a word is enough people using it. Of course it was the humor. I don't use enough emoticons, I suppose, and don't convey a sense of camaraderie in my humor. ;) That's approximately my 5th emoticon, ever! So, not even gonna try to build a plane? Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Naw, but I do have a few bids in on some #8s on ebay.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall