Stanley 110

Does anyone know how to close down the mouth of these little jewels? The mouth is rather wide. The plane makes very nice shavings but they are a bit thick! I posted a picture of mine and it's shavings in ABPW. I flattened the sole and sides, scary sharpened the blade. You can see it all on the glass and sandpaper.

-- Alex cravdraa - at - yahoo - dot - comment

(free excellent windows bible)

Reply to
AAvK

Does anyone know how to close down the mouth of these little jewels? The mouth is rather wide. The plane makes very nice shavings but they are a bit thick! I posted a picture of mine and it's shavings in ABPW. I flattened the sole and sides, scary sharpened the blade. You can see it all on the glass and sandpaper.

Reply to
AAvK

As it says here

is no adjustment. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

I haven't tried this, but you might try shimming under the blade. Or, just go get a decent plane. (sez the owner of a #220...)

Getting a little silly, but what about Liquid Steel? Make a new mouth...

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Didn't think of that approach. JBweld is supposed to work for this type of application. IIRC it can be tapped so should hold up to planing. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

application. IIRC it can be tapped so should hold up

Guys I was thinking of Jeff Gormans ideas on how to close down the mouth of a metal plane, which I cannot figure out either. I have the current model of Stanley

9-1/2... I just "like" the old basic tools as well so I want to use it. Thanks for helping.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

thicker blade? try ron hock.

Reply to
bridger

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:02:16 -0500, the inscrutable Joe Gorman spake:

The adjustment is as follows: Unscrew the lever cap screw. Replace all parts (including it) with a #60-1/2.

Done!

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The Stanley 110 isn't even a particularly good paperweight. And to put in a Hock blade is good money after bad.

Strangely enough, the Stanley 60 1/2 is probably the least used block plane in the tool drawer. The LN 9 1/2, on the other hand...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Won't work on a bevel-up plane, like a block.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:15:27 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch spake:

Rightio.

Hey, send it up to me. I'll test it against the Stanley and write up a review, then return it to you within the next decade or so.

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'd be willing to provide the Stanley for your long term test, next time you're in Vallejo.

The LN brings to mind the concept of prying from cold, dead hands.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:15:11 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch spake:

No, the LN. I have the little Stanley and use it nearly every visit to the shop. Just loverly.

Oh, darn. We'll see in July, then.

Reply to
Larry Jaques