Does Anyone Know

I don't know how to post to alt. binaries.pictures.gardens. Could someone advise me? Please?

Reply to
glenon

It is exactly the same as you posted here except you need to subscribe to a.b.p.g.

Reply to
Travis M.

First step: Are you able to read messages in that other group? In other words, are you subscribed to it already?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I guess that I am a member, but I don't remember filling out any forms.

Reply to
glenon

It seems you are viewing that group using Outlook Express. I would suggest that before you begin posting pictures there, you figure out how you ended up being able to read the messages there. With computers, it is absolutely, inarguably dangerous to achieve anything without knowing how you did it. I'll give you a hint: When you want to monitor activity in a newsgroup, you SUBSCRIBE to that group. In Outlook Express, click on Help (on the menu), then click "Contents and Index". Search for the word "subscribe". When you understand how you got to the point you're at now, then it's time to learn the next step.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hello glenon, I'm no expert at USENET, however after reading your post i decided to check out Outlook Express's "News" feature. Here is some advice:

  1. Start up Outlook Express. You should see a bunch of newsgroups you subscribed to, under your ISP name (mine is news.datemas.de and under that i have rec.gardens as one of my subscribed newsgroups).

  1. Right click the ISP name (mine is news.datemas.de) and then select "Newsgroups..."

  2. A box will pop up with a Title of "Newsgroup Subscriptions". There will be a "All" tab next to "Subscribed". It's the default selected but just make a mental note of that Tab; It contains all the newsgroups your ISP has subscribed to. "rec.gardens" will be one item in this long list.

  1. Look for "alt.binaries.pictures" within this list. You could use the "Display newsgroups which contain:" Tab to search through and locate "alt.binaries" quickly.

  2. If it isn't there, then your ISP DOES NOT PROVIDE you with access to alt.binaries, cheifly because of bandwidth constraints.

  1. If you really need access then you'll have to buy per month access to alt.binaries (news.datemas.de, ought to provide pay access). They provide me with free access to USENET text only groups.

I would suggest that you just use:

- for picture posting.

BTW if you need help with USENET/Clients and similar type questions then you can ask on "news.newusers.questions" since your particular question may be construed as being off-topic on rec.gardens.

Also check out:

that's very verbose *grin*

Reply to
Vivek.M

I got tired of not seeing half of the pictures from alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, and upon the suggestion from my internet provider geek, I now pay $5.95 a month for SUPERNEWS. It does such a great job, that I now use Supernews for my access to rec.gardens, uk.rec.gardening AND alt.binaries.pictures.gardens! before, for whatever reason, VIC wasn't letting me get ALL of my pictures from the binaries ng. Be warned though, with subscription to Supernews, you will discover there are more posts displayed on rec.gardens and other newsgroups than you ever imagined. It took me a little bit with my dinosaur ISDN line downloading all the headers........last count as of today for rec.gardens: 65,607 for uk.rec.gardening : 99,328, and for alt.binaries : 3,219...........if I were using my provider I'd have about half that! for the $5.95 a month it's WORTH it to be able to SEE ALL the pictures that I've missed when trying to visit that site. So type in supernews.com and see what comes up, subscribe, and it will walk you thru the process. you'll then download and updated list of ALL the newsgroups (there's a butt load of them) and since you know what they start out listed as, go to those and mark them and subscribe.

you might have to tweek the settings for how many headers you download at one time (I have mine set for the maximum, 1000 headers) and download as many as you want. the pictures are only a few thousand. wreck and uk have far more to down load and I stopped at a certain amount on uk, and haven't downloaded all of wreck's.......I don't need them all, although apparently windoz HAS reformatted or reconfigured my writings that WERE in Outlook Express in folders into some elusive folder or something hidden in my computer's memory, somewhere like .dbx extension files I think was said......over 399 of my writings I'd painstakingly copied, pasted and sent to myself and then tediously cleaned and paragraphed the earlier ones that really were free verse and made people crazy when I first darkened the gates of this newsgroup........I'll start over, I am determined to get those gardening books written now. I know that SOME of my writings weren't bad....LOL

hope this helps. I'll be home tomorrow glued to the house. today and the weekend was insane in the membrane. tomorrow's high's of 97o or MORE means I'll be outside watering until I start melting..........

madgardener up on the steamy ridge, back in a hazy Fairy Holler, overlooking a partially obscured English Mountain in Eastern TEnnessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Reply to
madgardener

I was just reading some of that. I got to: "The first thing is this: please restrict yourself to a maximum of 400 KB of images per day.............." And "Now, say you're site A. You decide to post a few MB of pictures in one day. Site B connects to your site, A, and grabs the articles. Site C connects to site B and attempts to grab the articles. But site C is rather limited. Its disks fill up a few times, perhaps the system crashes. The sysadmin knows he will get an outrageous phone bill caused by just ATTEMPTING to transmit all of your pictures."

I'm thinking my goodness, a news server using phone lines? When was that written? Over 13 years ago as it turns out. Times have changed. :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

:-) It's real easy. Once your subscribed, send a test message saying Hello to make sure you can post to the group. Tell them you've got a picture you're going to post.

Post the message to the group.

Once the message appears in Outlook Express, double-click on the message and get ready to send a reply to the message you just posted.

There will be an Attach button in the Reply To window. Click on that and navigate to the folder where the picture exists on your hard disk (computer).

Click only on the picture you want to post. Make sure it's not too big, some folks might get upset if the picture is bigger than

200KB. A good size for posting to the newsgroups is 800x600 and in a .jpg format. If you need any more help feel free to ask.

Tell you what, I'll cross post this to that newsgroup so you can see what the crosspost looks like as well.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

"Jim Carlock" posted (news:7R6xg.4$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com):

If you attach a picture to this message, remove the rec.gardens group from the Newsgroups list so you don't post a picture to rec.gardens.

Reply to
Jim Carlock