AC addon for Carrier Weathermaker 8000 TS

I'm looking for a good AC unit to add to my existing Carrier Weathermaker 8000 TS upflow system. From what I understand, I'll need both a coil, and an outside compressor.

So far, I've been quoted about $5k for a Bryant 593 system, which seems high. Salesguy said Bryant and Carrier are same company/product, but that doesn't seem correct.

I'm looking for a quiet, cheap system. I don't care much about efficiency, since this is in the pacific NW (cheap power+mild summers).

Any ideas? Idealy, I'd like to purchase online and avoid dealer markup and tax. If not..an alternative to the Bryant would be good. TIA

Reply to
Proteus

Please don't cross-post to alt.hvac

Alt....Payne....lol

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

Suggest look into putting in a heat pump.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Well, if you're looking for a sytem to purchase online, Google is your friend. It doesn't sound like you have much training in HVAC. If you did, you'd go right ahead and buy your own equipment at your parts house, and never consider posting on USenet.

It's my understanding that Carrier and Bryant are the same company.

To my knowledge any central AC system is going to need a HVAC guy to hook it up, vacuum pump the air and moisture out, and do the freon hookup.

HVAC folks need to pay insurance, gas, oil, taxes, etc. If you buy your own equipment, you are likely to face one of a couple things. First, some companies won't want to do the install. Others may do it, but for the cost of thier markup and labor. And you might find someone willing to do a night job, working cheep, and then you get poor performance.

I'd suggest to contact a couple other HVAC companies. Five G's sounds on the high side.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry, I was hoping to get useful information here, by logically posting to the two relevant newsgroups. I guess not.

I would note that the Bryant and Carrier systems, while technically the same company, look remarkably different to an amateur. I really don't care WHO makes it, I just want something that will match my EXISTING Carrier furnace (no, I don't want to rip it out and replace it with a heatpump). Any ideas? I see Goodman advertised all the time online...would a solution like this work? TIA

Reply to
Proteus

Sigh........if you continue to crosspost this is possibly the last response you will be getting from anyone that also posts on alt.havoc excepting perhaps the worst of the hacks.

The evaporator coil just has to fit is all, makes little to no difference who made your furnace.

Is there a coil box installed already???

You wouldnt be ripping anything out--on the inside unit the evaporator coil is almost identical whether its straight a/c or heat pump--the same goes for the condensor outside.

like this work?

Provided the ducts are adequately sized, yes....but it is not really a do it yourself type job.

Above is your biggest promlem, IMO...........Here you want to do it on the cheap but you dont have but a clue as to what it actually entails to do it correctly--basically, you are thumbing your nose at those who have spent many years learning their trade and operating legimate businesses and paying insurance and taxes and so on....while at the same time you are also expecting them to help you screw them out of a job..........

Oh, I almost forgot--my Brother is an Attorney for the State of Washington, one of the departments he oversees happens to be tax collections.......I'm sure he will appreciate the lead..........

I pay all of my taxes and I dont much appreciate those who would skirk here, you are stealing from your neighbor when you do this.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Find out what size system you need and the see if the ductwork and furnace blower deliver the correct amount of CFM air heatload through the evaporator coil.

A proper sized Goodman will do the job but I would match it with a high quality evaporator coil with a TEV refrigerant control!

A quality installation is more important than the brand of the condensing unit. The evaporator and refrigerant control are critical to optimal absorption and transfer of heat from the conditioned space to the condenser. Check the condenser air discharge temperature split, the tech can confirm the temp-split using the Saturated Condensing Temperature (minus the outdoor temperature) on the highside gauge.

Darrell udarrell ===========

Proteus wrote:

Reply to
udarrell

Have at it! Buy a Goodman. Your first problem is to get the right size. There are a variety of things you need to know. (That's one of the reasons pros are worth the money, they can spec all the details for you).

Now, for problem #2, to find someone to install it for you. (One of the reasons pros are worth the money, they can install it for you.)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Irrelevant cross-posting removed.

Correct.

It is correct. There are minor differences in appearance but the products are almost identical and are indeed from the same manufacturer.

Your contractor has bid the correct unit then. The 593 is a 10 SEER Deluxe cabinet unit that will be quiet and less expensive than a more efficient model.

If you want to supply your own unit then the only companies that will install if for you might be the starving hacks. Follow the golden rule, you get what you pay for. Always take that rule within reason by getting bids from other companies for comparison. The installation is worth far more than the brand.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

Maybe in your part of the country.

Reply to
Vicki Szaszvari

Brava,Brava,Brava I am another type of professional (AMT) but the same can be said of A/C owners (oops sorry bout that Aircraft =A/C) who want it on the cheap (repair and certification) Irish

Reply to
Denise Baker