Carrier central ac

I have 3 central carrier hvac systems for my house. On the outside condenser for one of them the fan has gotten quite noisy. In fact it was initially frozen in the beginning of the season. I got it going again. The fans motors are mounted upside down in the top of the unit so you can't see whether there is a spot for oil without taking the top grill off. I figured I would ask to see whether these fans take oil before I take it apart. And before anyone asks me about maintenence..... they were all checked out last year by a reputable HVAC company but if they take oil apparently the guy didn't bother lubricating them.

Reply to
Art

I had a noisy fan on my AC unit several years ago and oiled it myself. I didn't see any places to put oil in so I took the blade off and dripped oil down the motor shaft and let it seep in for a few hours. Neven made any more screeching noises.

Reply to
badgolferman

He is lucky no damage was done.

Reply to
Art

They may or may not take oil. I had a Trane installed about 2 years ago and the owners manual says the motors do not need oiling.

A friend had been paying for service for about 5 years and noticed the air flow was very low. Turns out he had an electronic filter and while that was getting serviced, someone had left in the old paper/fiber type filter all those years. That thing was really clogged.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I doubt any hvac motors take oil anymore. It is likely time to replace the motor. If you're lucky you can pull the motor and find a parts place where the guy behind the counter knows his stuff and can sell you something that'll work, even on a Saturday morning. The job is quite simple, just be sure to get the blade on tight enough.

Reply to
Chris Hill