How to use Toolless Cat6 RJ45 Keystone Jack

I am doing Cat6 wiring and I cannot figure out how to use Toolless Cat6 RJ45 Keystone Jack that I bought online. I could not find any instructions anywhere how to attach Cat6 cable to it.

Reply to
ls02

Same as a regular punch down jack except the little plastic cover will have ribs that press the wires into the IDC (insulation displacement connector). You pre-line-up the wires in the IDC (or cover), position the cover, then squeeze the cover down with big pliers until it bottoms all the wires into the IDC. BUT on some toolless units you pre-line-up the wires in the snap cover (not the IDC) then squeeze, determine what kind you have. I prefer the tool punchdown because it trims the wire and sets the IDC all at once, but the toolless does all

8 wires simultaneously which saves time, but does not clip the excess copper as well. In both cases you should do an end-to-end continuity/ short/polarity test with a cat5 test set before plugging the work into your switch or router. HD has a test set for around 20 bucks I think.
Reply to
RickH

Also monoprice has about the best price on toolless units I've found:

(scroll down the page for toolless ones)

Here you go for an actual installation manual:

RickH