hand plane opportunity

I got a local junk shop that has an old Stanley #5 for $28, the lever cap does not have a kidney shaped hole, the adjustment knob is plastic or bakelight, wooden tote and knob and seemingly a light iron casting, not heavy like the WWII era ones. This one seems narrower side to side than a type 19 and no thicker casting ridge at the toe and heel. All parts are there, no cracks in the metal and about 60-70% japanning, anyone offer me an opinion if it's worth buying at this price?

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

absolutely not. I paid $35 for a #5 type 15 with all original parts and completely intact tote and knob on ebay. the plane your guy has sounds like a later model piece of crud and probably shouldn't get more than $10, IMO. I'm no expert, mind you, but I've bought about 10 planes on ebay and never paid more than $65 - and that was for a sweet Type 11 #7.

I got a local junk shop that has an old Stanley #5 for $28, the lever cap does not have a kidney shaped hole, the adjustment knob is plastic or bakelight, wooden tote and knob and seemingly a light iron casting, not heavy like the WWII era ones. This one seems narrower side to side than a type 19 and no thicker casting ridge at the toe and heel. All parts are there, no cracks in the metal and about 60-70% japanning, anyone offer me an opinion if it's worth buying at this price?

Alex

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I bought 2 #5s this summer at garage sales. One was perfect for $5. The other was not perfect, but still better than yours, for $2.

Want to buy the $2 one for say $20?

Reply to
toller

absolutely not. I paid $35 for a #5 type 15 with all original parts and completely intact tote and knob on ebay. the plane your guy has sounds like a later model piece of crud and probably shouldn't get more than $10, IMO. I'm no expert, mind you, but I've bought about 10 planes on ebay and never paid more than $65 - and that was for a sweet Type 11 #7.

It's not newer at all, really old! Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

I'll buy anything with a brass knob. Plastic, fibre or aluminium can sit there.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If it has a plastic or bakelite knob, I think you're looking at a WWII vintage. Not the best users, from my experience.

absolutely not. I paid $35 for a #5 type 15 with all original parts and completely intact tote and knob on ebay. the plane your guy has sounds like a later model piece of crud and probably shouldn't get more than $10, IMO. I'm no expert, mind you, but I've bought about 10 planes on ebay and never paid more than $65 - and that was for a sweet Type 11 #7.

It's not newer at all, really old! Alex

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

If it has a plastic or bakelite knob, I think you're looking at a WWII vintage. Not the best users, from my experience.

Yeah I suspect that too but the casting is so light compared to a WWII one... Thinner walls on the sides, the whole thing is not too heavy, unless it was overly tuned by a previous owner. Glad you could post from experience though, thanks much, I'll let it go at that price. This seller is wierd, he will not bargain at all. Surfer too.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Are you _sure_ it's a Stanley? You're not just going by what's stamped into the blade, right? The replacement blades from hardware stores were/are almost always made by Stanley.

The only Stanleys I'd consider buying would be the Bedrock line or the Bailey line. Either way the main casting of the plane would have "Bailey" or "Bedrock" cast into the it.

Also, another dead giveaway on determining if it's likely a real Stanley is the iron's lateral adjustment lever. The Baileys and Bedrocks have a three part lever: a disk at the bottom under the iron riveted to a flat main shaft ending with a pressed in finger tab extending downwards. Knock off planes often cheaped out by making the finger tab by merely bending the sides of the main shaft into an inverted "U".

I'm thinking it's a knockoff/competitor's plane and probly not worth the money if it's noticeably lighter than expected.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I've seen brass adjustment knobs wear to excessively slack. You expect better from plastic?

Seller lost me right there.

Frankenplane.

$15.00 will get you an older and better #5, curable rust, 90% or better japanning.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I didn't mean "new" I simply meant new"er". The plastic knob, lightweight casting (possibly aluminum?), etc. just sound like less-than-desirable features, and you can easily find cast iron, well-made stanleys for similar, if not better, prices.

absolutely not. I paid $35 for a #5 type 15 with all original parts and completely intact tote and knob on ebay. the plane your guy has sounds like a later model piece of crud and probably shouldn't get more than $10, IMO. I'm no expert, mind you, but I've bought about 10 planes on ebay and never paid more than $65 - and that was for a sweet Type 11 #7.

It's not newer at all, really old! Alex

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Then you would have missed out on my type 17 #6, which is my favorite older Stanley. :-)

I was skeptical at first too when I saw the knob, but it doesn't affect it in use in the slightest, and I love the WWII-era heavy casting.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

Sorry for following up my own post, but I forgot to add that given the light casting and other anamolies described by the original poster, I wouldn't pay what the seller was asking for. It sounds too much like a plane cobbled together with parts from different planes.

You should be able to get an all-original-parts #5 from prior to WWII for less than $30.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:06:45 -0500, Conan the Librarian calmly ranted:

I just now won an *b*y auction, a Stanley #6 for $15.49.

(Yes, it may require a new iron shortly.)

Another one is going up in a couple hours. It's at $10.49 now, but it appears to be missing the cap iron/chip breaker.

------------------------------------------------------- Have you read the new book "What Would Machiavelli Do?" ----------------------------
Dynamic, Interactive Websites!

Larry Jaques

Sounds like a plane made up of different parts. Check out Patrick's Blood and Gore,[

] but its my understanding that a Bakelite screw knob is WWII vintgage, but to be correct the lever cap would have the kidney shaped hole. The wooden tote and front knob, if WWII, would be made of painted or stained hardwood, and not Rosewood. Does it have a "low" front knob, or a "high" one, and is there a ring on the casting within which the fron knob fits? Generally, low knobs come with lever caps that have the keyhole, rather than the kidney shaped hole, but not always. Check to see if there is a frog adjustment screw below the Bakelite adjusting knob, if so, then its not WWII. You are correct the castings on WWII planes are thicker, and you generally see a less polished milling of the sides of these planes. I think there are some uncorrect parts on this plane and it is likely a tad overpriced for what it is. My first couple of old plane purchases were like this, and now I avoid them as I know better. If you keep your eyes open at fleas and garage sales, 5's are pretty common and can be gotten for $20 or oftentimes less, depending on condition.

As to someone's comment about WWII not being good users, well, they are if properly tuned. I've also never had a bakelite knob go bad either.

Mutt.

Reply to
Mutt

Prolly make a good user too. NOT! SH

Reply to
Slowhand

I saw that one last night! The place to buy a new tote is "the museum"

congrats on it.

the lever cap.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

...sounds like the old British Magpie syndrome, a terrible addiction in such a monatary system!

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

I thank everyone for their input, I really appreciate the help. I bought this one no one else would bid for, it is a Stanley #5 of older type but it has a later lever cap with the kidney hole. Good enough as a user, it's got all the parts and even Magpie's brass adjustment knob too! Again thanks to all.

this sweet Stanley #110, awesome condition:
got it [9-13-04].

Thanks again everyone,

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

If it's a Stanley and the casting is Aluminum then it's a steal at that price because the Aluminum Stanleys are colectibles.

The combination of the non-metallic adjustment knob with the non-kidney shaped hole in th elever cap sounds like a Frankenplane, assembled form pieces of different planes from different eras.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Patrick Leach doesn't care for the #6 and so rates it poorly on his webpages. I think this has supressed the market price of the #6 by $10 - $20 making it easier to get a good buy on a #6 than on any other plane.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt