OT Car insurance rise?

(drifting OT) Since gender can no longer be used as a marker for actuaries, how come marital status can ? Aren't both protected characteristics for the purposes of law ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

When I was trying to negotiate a downwards renewal a couple of years ago, and noticed that I allegedly had access to more than one car I asked for that to be removed because it shouldn't have been on, but the price went up, eSure telling me that I would be a better risk if I had access to more than one vehicle.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

So is age...

Reply to
Spike

During the 1970s, I had several years of policies (and certificates) which simply purported to cover any car I owned and did not mention any specific vehicle at all. The reason was that the cert then didn't need to be returned for amendment on a change of car.

ISTR that this was discontinued, and a registration mark compulsorily included, in the latter part of the decade, possibly due to a change in the law.

Reply to
JNugent

Does insurance vary that much with age ? The main reason 17 year olds are quoted eye watering prices is more because they have zero demonstrable miles under their belt.

Obviously experience is a proxy for age. However I notice (with more interest) there has been a quiet campaign to remove such markers from places where discrimination is actionable. Like job adverts for example.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

So why would a newly-qualified 30-yr-old be able to get cheaper quotes?

The answer is that teenagers are actuarially more likely ("less unlikely" if you prefer) to be involved in expensive accidents.

Is there a law on age discrimination?

Reply to
JNugent

Age is a protected characteristic. As much as sex.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Protected by means of what?

Reply to
JNugent

2010 Equality Act in the UK.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

So what does it say?

Ten-year-olds allowed to drive HGVs?

Something else?

Reply to
JNugent

The insurance on my bikes is nominal, a little over $100 / year for each. Motorcycle insurance is not required in this state which may keep them honest.

My first bike was a '55 FLH when I was 18. I called up the family insurance man to inquire about a policy. He asked what the displacement was and I said 74. When he asked 'cc's' I should have kept my mouth shut.

Reply to
rbowman

"Protected" does not mean "thou shalt not have any regard to". And the Act (as amended) *explicitly* allows discrimination by age for financial services where objectively justified. That includes for insurance purposes on the basis of evidence that old farts (<waves>) are greater risks.

Reply to
Robin

Is it fully comprehensive for the "other" vehicle or just third party?

Reply to
alan_m

Who says married people are of different genders?

Reply to
mm0fmf

Mine's (I'm the 75 year old just up there) is not much more, just over £100 for a pretty new Yamaha FJR1300.

Reply to
Chris Green

Oh I know :)

But mysteriously stops at sex :)

I got quite a bit of work out of the gender ruling ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Gender is not a protected characteristic.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The V-Strom, DR650, and Sportster are all slightly different but are in the same range. I don't know what magic they use to determine the premium. The V-Strom has the most bodywork and that may be a factor. I've never had a claim on a bike so I don't know how that works.

Reply to
rbowman

Are you saying insurance for a similarly experienced male and female driver must cost the same?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They should be allowed to if they're capable. Obviously most couldn't pass the test.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey