OT Car insurance rise?

possibly it's safe, but it is against the law.

Reply to
charles

It proves it can be done. Any car that can't do that is badly designed.

You've never heard of a car burning oil? You've never topped up low oil?

Our cars must be more advanced than yours, because ours have a light to warn you it's not pumping properly.

You most certainly did. Before you went snobby and bought a new car.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Had to learn is not equal to learned. I just dozed off in those lessons.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What do you believe the purpose of equalizing the wear is? All you do is have a bigger bill when all 4 wear out at once. You also have all 4 with little grip at once.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That light causes a safety test fail in the stupid UK, unless you remove the bulb.

I ignore my speedometer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Individual states with completely different laws, but still allowing free movement between them would be great. You could just pick the state that agrees with your ideals and live there.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Do you also have them hanging from tree branches? I find that quite amusing. I guess it does stop people standing in it. And there's no way I'd carry a bag of shit with me, especially as those bags don't look very sturdy. What are you supposed to do anyway, squeeze it into your jeans pocket?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No idea where you got that false info from, because that is not what happens in reality in the UK (excepting one county in North Wales where 1 mph over is a fine, and then the chief constable got fined).

This is what actually happens. Up to 10mph over, nothing - or a bored cop says "naughty boy, on your way". 10-20mph over, 3 points and £100 fine, if they can be bothered, I have talked my way out of two thirds of them. 20-30mph over, actually less chance of a fine, because the cops get worried you're dangerous and give you a 5 minute lecture, then let you go.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's a very sensible company. Only 4% of accidents are caused by speed (government statistic). And a much more accurate reliable source is how many times you've crashed. There are slow drivers that crash and fast drivers that don't.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Mileage is the best way to get it down, they never check it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That is not your usual stance Rod.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

4%.
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Which is totally irrelevant.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That is not an actuarial issue

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And if you don't keep up with traffic you are a hazard. I think of it more as a guide. Yes, you can go way over and be a danger but depending on conditions, 10 over is no big deal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Fuck all in fact, only 4% according to the official stats

Reply to
5tft

He is probably quoting figures in accidents caused by speeding that resulted in a death.

because that is not what

The are some places in Powys, Wales where the speed cameras seem to be on a hair trigger!

You obviously don't live in an area with lots of speed and red light cameras. Within a 3 mile radius of where I live there are 8 speed cameras, one stretch of road with average speed cameras and at least 3 red light cameras. I guess most people caught speeding around my way is via camera and not a Police car.

Reply to
alan_m

You may change your tyres before the tread reaches minium depth but in the UK 10% of MOT failures are related to tyres problems which suggest many people take them to or below the legal limit of 1.6mm.

In the UK all cars over 3 years old have to pass a yearly MOT where the condition of the tyres is one of the checks.

Reply to
alan_m

No bulb in my car - it's a message in English on the dashboard screen.

Even when there is a bulb they should be checking that all bulbs are working. This is why all bulbs initially light up for a few seconds when you first start the car.

Reply to
alan_m

It wasn't that much, and all old cars use oil.

[repetition ignored]
[repetition ignored]

[repetition ignored]

[interruption ignored]

What does yours warn you of, a possum in the road?

You most certainly did.

No, you said it about old cars, read what I write more carefully.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey