OT: Very, very short term car insurance

My son has an old banger sitting on the driveway. He wants to insure it, take it for an mot, then stick it back on the driveway and cancel the insurance.

There'd be a cancellation charge, but it's cheaper than a temporary policy.

Any thoughts? Will they blacklist him?

Reply to
GB

Don't you know how to search?

Richard

There are firms out there that do policies as short as 1 hour, or maybe more realistically 1 day.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Get someone with a traders policy to take it?

Reply to
ARW

Do things that are towed behind another vehicle need an MOT?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Er, I meant Insurance ....

Need to go back to bed.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Plenty of garages will pick up a car to take for an MOT. The bloke I use sends his lad round and charges £55 for an MOT with pick up and return, and he's about five miles away.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Just tried that on Veygo.

And tried it a few ways around for different vehicles and drivers.

So if I lie and say my Dad is under 75 (he is just over 75) its £50 a week for him to drive my £2000 worth of slow Skoda.

If I want to drive his more expensive and rather faster Golf for a week it's £50

If I try it on my MD's Maserati then it does not exist on their database. And nor did the Bentley that a premiership footballer I work for drives (I suspect they are under a lease).

I have not yet tried it on the "special car" I posted a picture of.

Reply to
ARW

There are firms offering to pick the car up, MOT it, and return it. All for £45. It sounds a bit too good to be true.

Reply to
GB

I believe yes, and insurance, if it's towed. Even if on a recovery vehicle with an underlift.

Not if trailered with all 4 wheels off the road.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

OT, but I wonder what the MID situation is? Clearly he'd be legal, but how soon does this appear on the database? Being stopped while the insurers were contacted would be an inconvenient delay if you had an MOT booked.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

A friend of ours had his car picked up by the garage and MOTed. On the way back, the driver wrote it off. The garage then claimed that the driver should not have been driving, did not have permission and was not covered by their insurance!

It all got sorted out in the end, but it took time and effort and being without a car for some time.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Just a thought for the OP: I've been told by two insurance companies that there is now a legal requirement for a vehicle to be insured even if it's parked on your own property and doesn't move from one year's end to the next. If you don't want to insure it, the only alternative is to SORN it (Statutory Off Road Notification). Of course, whether anyone ever checks on these things, I've no idea.

Reply to
Scribbles

Hmmm. Let's see. They fail the MOT and offer to do repairs. You accept and get fleeced. You decline, they return the car at some stage with failed MOT.

The old "if it sounds too good to be true" applies.

Reply to
Richard

A place near us does free collection and delivery for MOT's.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

That is not true.

The owner would still be liable if the vehicle causes damage or injury, e.g. it catches fire or rolls down a hill and hits something.

SORN is the alternative to taxing a vehicle, not insuring it.

Reply to
Scion

As with many of the government's regulations,

rather ambiguous. It says

Uninsured vehicles Rules in England, Wales and Scotland You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads and in public places. You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called ?continuous insurance enforcement?.

It cunningly fails to say whether it needs insurance if it's not on the road or in public place, but not SORNed.

Personally, I was under the impression that it now did (from a couple of years ago).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I think that's a bit harsh. It tells people the conditions they need to meet to avoid the need for insurance - viz keep it off the road /and/ declare it SORN. If you want them to say e.g. "you have to do *both* to avoid the need for insurance" then they'd have to do the same everywhere there are 2 or more conditions else people would think there must be a difference. I don't think that'd help.

Your are right. The offence of "Being the registered keeper of an uninsured vehicle" was added to the offences for driving without insurance.

Reply to
Robin

Nope., I did the same. they (NFU) said it was the only way to do it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not on their way to an MOT station no, but they need insurance...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher