Not very admirable insurance. OT

I'm with Northern Rock since sometime last summer IIRC, I got in touch with the company that found my original insurance (IIRC Compare the Market.com) and they showed a change of company would be ideal. As always seems to hap pen with these companies (to me at least) I can't seem to close the deal be fore a sleaseman from god knows where cuts in and talks me into very reason able windscreen cover etc.. I seem to have landed in the shark end of the pond somehow. Any suggestions ?

***

Admiral Insurance Services - ADSAI

Dear Mr ***

Your account with Admiral has now been transferred to Debt Managers for col lection.

You must now make arrangements to pay the outstanding balance to Debt Manag ers quoting the reference number *** Payment may be made by card securely online at

using your r eference number and unique password ***

Alternatively, please call me as soon as you can on 0844 842 5294 to discus s your repayment options.

Many thanks.

Sam N Parcs Supervisor snipped-for-privacy@debt-managers.co.uk

The cost of calls may vary depending on your network provider - please chec k with your provider for confirmation. Calls may be monitored & recorded fo r training & audit purposes. OPENING TIMES Monday - Thursday 8 am - 8 pm Friday 8 am - 7pm Saturday 8 am - 4pm

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Company

The information transmitted is confidential and intended only for the perso n or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or le gally privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this me ssage, please notify the sender immediately and confirm to us that it has b een destroyed. You are strictly prohibited from using , copying or dissemin ating this message or any information it contains to anyone other than the intended recipient.

Debt Managers (Services) Limited. Company registration number 8092808

Registered in England and Wales

Registered Office: One Arleston Way, Solihull, West Midlands, B90 4LH

****

I would like some help rewording the following to keep out of further diffi culties. My usual approach is fairly far from that of amelioration:

I know that with ISP companies they can no longer charge what they used to try for if the service has not been supplied. May I presume the same will b e true for all and any unused services? (Not that I know what they are presuming I owe them.)

I remember being in dire straights at the time as I couldn't take a job som e 6 miles down the road without having insurance. Had I know Admiral were g oing to cover me I wouldn't have sought another company. So I lost a job th at might have easily paid for the insurance and had to get another cove whi lst unemployed (so that I wouldn't miss another job if one came calling.)

A bit of a double whammy really, the bastards!!!!! Not entirely their fault though -unless they were using Windows Server or a busing their staff the way that modern financiers do in all businesses in B ritain these days.

Or some other reason that a computer failure might affect a business that i s computer based, if that is possible. I imagine a company as large as Admi ral would have redundant arrays or whatever the IT of technological fail-sa fes is called. After all you never hear of banks having computers falling o ver do you.

***

What is this about?

I never renewed my policy with you. You never sent me a reminder and I had n reason to assume it would be automatically renewed. I found someone cheap er via the firm I used to find your company and you never responded in due time. (There was something wrong with your servers you told me later.)

Had I waited for you to come back to me I would have fallen out of favour w ith Her Majesty's collector of taxes. How many of us were caught in that tr ap and what did you suppose we would all do in those circumstances?

You may phone me on *** If I phone you at the above number, my service provider will charge me quit e a lot of money. Thank you in advance for whatever...

***

I should maybe reconsider this bit: "How many of us were caught in that trap and what did you suppose we would all do in those circumstances?" What does the panel think?

If the server was down for a week then 1/52 of their customers would have b een in limbo. I can't be the only one subject to such a claim. Perhaps I ought to ask for copies of the emails they sent to me in the seco nd year. I put them in the spam bin after getting so many sales pitches for stuff I wasn't interested in. By the time they got antsy, evidently, I was incommunicado.

I wouldn't have put them in the bin if I was still with them. IIRC my only contact with them directly was after the expiry date when I asked for whate ver it is you have to send to the next company to make a no claims bonus re quest.

I wish I could remember the conversation. It wasn't followed up with a lett er. as far as I know (I may have moved in between time. (I can't remember t he dates.) And as I said... anything in the email account.... no, that woul d have come through I think. I just don't remember.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

It looks like this isn't the first time that Admiral have tried this on:

AFAIK auto-renewing policies are allowed but they must write to you in advance (which they appear not to have done).

My suggestion is to raise a formal complaint with Admiral and, if this fails, raise the matter with the Ombudsman. I would expect them to give up if you persevere. AFAIK it would cost them more to handle a complaint that they could get from you.

For a better answer maybe ulm would be a place to try?

Reply to
Mark