Could use some advice/input about having two custom pergolas built

I'm crossposting this to the garden and woodworking group, tried to search through the archives, but info is not current enough for my needs.

For the last several years, I've had my heart set on having two pergolas built EXACTLY like the one I posted at the link, 155 KB slow to download right now for me, hope it doesn't cause problem, hasn't before that size with high speed:

I have someone close to the family who might be able to build them for me, but I have no plans. It will have to span a front walkway with two steps about 47 wide plus a little extra room on the sides, and I'll have to figure out a proper height by measuring one in the neighborhood or around town somewhere. The one at the back should work the same size although the top of the steps and sidewalk are narrower.

Anybody have any ideas of how to go about this? Building it will be one thing; installing another. It probably has to be anchored in concrete. I want quality wood with no knotholes which will be more expensive. Quality scrap lumber would be ok, too.

The only compromise I'd be willing to make are with the rounded braces and lattice on the sides. The lattice could crisscross diagonally, can't think of the word for it at the moment, and you can buy wood sheets of that for $17.95. There is plastic but don't want that.

I could *almost* draw up a rough plan myself, but it might not be precise enough. I have looked all over the web and in garden books in the past, around town, but have never found one I have liked as well as this one. Sorry photo quality not the best, took a pic of a calendar page with my digicam.

I will check back when I can, but have a lot of things going right now in the way of home improvement, so I can't respond right away if somebody has a question.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

It's a 20-ish kid with the right saw(s). I have no clue if he is up to it or not, but if I supervise for quality control, we might be able to get the job done. I can't really afford to pay a carpenter to build me custom ones. The regular ones around here run $500 and up apiece; only a carpenter would take on building to my specs. I've had a couple of carpenters who didn't do things right. The really good ones will charge a lot.

I may have to enlist others to help and do all or part of it myself. My main concern is getting the proportions right. It looks like some grooves may have to be routed.

Thanks for responding.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

Suggest you do a Google search on "Pergola Plans" and either find some free or low cost plans that may be close enough and then modify them to suit your taste.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

That is a good suggestion. I ran through several pages and they aren't even close. I'll keep trying. I did a lot of searching on it about 3 years ago, too. Thanks. I did find a book and almost bought it, then backed off. I have no way of knowing if there is anything close or not. It's plans from 1926, but not just pergolas, which is about the era my house was built. Maybe I can track that down at the library or a later edition by the same author.

It is called "Practical Landscape Gardening" by Robert B. Cridland. I found that in the newsgroup archives.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

can't believe it. $269. Hope it isn't too good to be true! Thanks so much. I went through every page of results and this was the last one.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

go to your local hardware store and look for some of those "books" on garden woodworking, or find a woodworking store in your area, even go to the library. I have seen plans like those around. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

"I Love Lucy" wrote in news:3ST7g.1755$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I have seen things like that. Now the question is where to get the cedar? Here in North Jersey, that appears difficult.

Reply to
Han

Han wrote in news:Xns97BE434A540CAikkezelf@199.45.49.11:

huh? it's a KIT. it comes with semi-preassembled panels. you don't have to find the cedar lumber. OTOH, if it's anything like the one i bought (similar price but arched top) it won't hold together long enough to get it erected & levelled :( the screws just stripped right out of the wood. however, it wasn't a total waste. the chickens have a nice cedar arch roost... and the side panels are going to be incorporated into one of my hops trellises (i have 4 varieties of hops now, & Irish moss for the beer garden ) lee

Reply to
enigma

That's not a pergola in my opinion.

That's a basic arbor that can be built with very basic hand tools.

Lowes or Home Depot will have several books on "Garden Structures"...

I Love Lucy wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Yes, it's called an arbor. I don't know the difference really. I wouldn't class it as a trellis although it has one incorporated in the design.

I found and ordered a kit for two different sizes, thanks to a poster who encouraged me to do a massive search (had before), after looking at umpteen photos, I found one. Now that I know the design names, I can google them and come up with all sorts of places that sell the exact same thing.

:-). I have a bad habit of buying a book, then never get the real thing. I do have a book of plans for gazebos somewhere around here. I don't really have room for one of those; the arbors will suffice. If they hold together.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

Yes, it all comes in a kit, they aren't cheap (one was but the slightly larger one is almost twice as much), and now I find I could have gotten them a little cheaper elsewhere now that I know the design names to google. I can assemble it myself if the side pieces don't require too much strength to slide into the channels and stick. It/they will need to be assembled outdoors. I won't be able to carry it by myself once it's put together or install it, will have to hire somebody to pour the cement footings. Now I'm trying to figure out the easiest/fastest way to paint it white without getting spray all over everything. One thing at a time. I'll worry about that later. And some tree limbs will have to be trimmed back a little I notice. In fact, with one, the whole tree may have to come down because a large limb will be too close which I didn't consider in the dark when I was measuring.

This is what happens when I try to make things better.

That is very scary. If it appears that something like that will happen, I don't know what I will do. Maybe there will be some way to salvage them with some type of bolts. If they look too flimsy they are going back, and I'll probably have to pay the shipping which is $98. OTOH, if you don't take some risks and make a few mistakes along the way, you never end up getting anything done and find yourself with everything falling down around you.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

Try this site. Lots of WW mags have run articles like this, and a few of them offer free online plans. You might find something you like there.

Great site. Thousands of articles are included.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

I will take a look at it, but I ordered two kit arbors just exactly like the one in the photo I posted except cedar wood. Thank you. There might be other things I'd be interested in. I once had the cutest little hexagon plant stand that was homemade I dragged home when my aunt died, and it has disappeared as have other things. I have tried and tried to find one exactly like it on ebay, but none as pretty as the one I had. The legs had a pretty keyhole cut and the top was rounded off. I've looked at books of old plans, and do have a writeup with approx instructions for that, but I would never be able to duplicate that exact keyhold cut for the legs unless I find the original plans. I could possibly draw it out and come close, but I fear not close enough.

Thanks!

Reply to
I Love Lucy