Custom made IKEA worktop advice

Hi.

I ordered an IKEA worktop on Friday afternoon; they make them to your specification, and I expect mine to be delivered sometime after Christmas. I also bought (and picked up) various other parts of my new kitchen, including a dishwasher.

What I've discovered in that the dishwasher is very deep, leaving almost no space behind for plumbing, and certainly not enough for a 40mm waste to pass behind, as is required for the washing machine next to the dishwasher.

So I've had to rethink the kitchen layout a tiny bit, and this realistically requires a slightly different worktop configuration. As it happens, I need one section 600mm longer than spec'd and one bit 600mm shorter, so no actual material change.

The IKEA terms and conditions - which I signed - state that it is not possible to /cancel/ an order for a custom made worktop at any point once it's been paid for - which it has.

I called IKEA, and they told me that there was nothing that could be done, that the order had already been dispatched to an unspecified and underterminable factory abroad, and that was that.

However, it seems very unlikely to me that they will have actually started making my worktop yet, particularly since I expect to wait >4 weeks for delivery. Even the, I don't want to cancel the order, only modify the lengths, with a zero net change in materials used.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of situation? I realise I'm 'in the wrong' here, but it seems unlikely that there is /no/ room for manouvre, especially since it's only been about 48 hrs since I placed the order. If push comes to shove, I plan to argue that the woman who looked over my plan did not give me the full story with repsect to the plumbing issue, and hence the necessary change of worktop spec. is not entirely my fault.

Advice please! I realise I'm technically I'm the one that's screwed up and that my backup argument is a bit flakey, so no need to point that out!

Edd.

Can't you take the waste directly through the wall behind the washing machine? If there's no space for that waste, how are you expecting to get the waste for the dishwasher in?

I'd say this was illegal under consumer law, but you've got to applaud their efforts in trying it.

This may not matter, although why you ordered a custom made worktop is a mystery, the thing is, it may already be cut to size, it may take 2 weeks to get to the UK and a week to make it's way to Ikea, then a week to get to you

I'd look at a way of ftitting the washing and dishwashing machines in their intended places if I were you.

Reply to
Phil L

Run both flexible waste pipes into the cupboard on the other side of the dishwasher, clipping the washing machine one up high out of the way of the dishwasher. (You can get longer waste pipes if necessary.) Feed them into one or two traps at that point.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just another manifestation of the no pipe space behind IKEA kitchen units issue. Swedish plumbing is a mystery.

so you only need buy one replacement worktop, or a new dishwasher and sell the deep one.

or if you are buying new worktops try to source deeper ones if you have the depth, expensive perhaps but functional.

or live with the dishwasher 40mm proud until you work out how the solve the waste problem. I've always found that to be needed with washing machines. An annoying depth incompatibilty which strangely never seems to afflict Grand Designs et al

Reply to
Jim Alexander