Mostly Vegan - Ping Tim

I bake most of the bread we eat, and it's nearly all vegan. But, for one thing!

I need/like to glaze some of the loaves, and I haven't found a decent substitute for egg to do that. I've tried the liquid from tinned chickpeas, but it's really naff compared to nice shiny egg.

So, can you suggest a decent vegan substitute, please?

We have vegan guests, and I'm fed up with apologising for the poorly glazed bread. :)

Reply to
GB

Why on earth do you let these lunatics in your house, never mind humour their dietary obsessions?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Not tried it, but I've seen something called "Oggs" on the supermarket shelf?

Andy Burns

There are many alternatives that are alternatives to egg wash but don't give a glaze finish.

I have read that brushing oil after baking is a way of getting a glaze effect.

Do let us know how you get on.

Reply to
Fredxx

So do I (but only from kits). ;-)

Ok ...

Oh.

No, sorry mate I can't (well not from personal experience) but there do seem to be various solutions (one you have tried).

The loaves I bake are just a wholegrain and seem to 'brown up' perfectly well on their own. ;-)

Have you asked them if they care? The chances are if you are accommodating them in general I think they would be happy with that or what about asking them?

I do know a professional baker and I'll ask him if he glazes his vegan range and if so, what he uses (and get back to you).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The guests are only allowed into the garden under current covid rules.

They me be allowed into the house to use the toilet but how do they know if the toilet paper or soap is vegan?

Reply to
ARW

Vegan guests mean more Zebra left for GB? And he can argue that he's doing his bit to save the planet by not inviting, say, you and Adam.

Reply to
Robin

milk works if they are not agin it

I guess you need a protein? Lentils boiled to destruction?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Swordfish steak tonight for tea.

Reply to
ARW

lovely jubbly

but after the zebra et al I can't help but wonder if you've been working at a zoo lately :)

Reply to
Robin

I've eaten challah with a maple syrup glaze. I think diluted as the flavour was mild but then so are some syrups.

Reply to
Robin

can you not use sugared water as thats whats used onhot cross buns?

It does mean you'd have to get used ot teh sweetness though.

Reply to
SH

The main guest is our son in law, and he's perfectly happy with the vegan glaze. Thinking about it, it's the rest of the family who are disappointed by it. :)

Thanks. That would be appreciated.

Reply to
GB

You seem to not grasp the "vegan" bit of this.

Reply to
Richard

Don't apologise - ask them how to glaze it acceptably.

Reply to
Dave W

Vegans won't have milk because milking a cow kills it.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

There is a range of vegan milk options available:

Soya milk Oat milk coconut milk Peanut milk cashew milk Almond milk Pistachio milk

(from

SH

P.S.

There is a vegan cheese shop in london:

Apparently you can have cheeses through the post if London is too far away for you to travel.

Reply to
SH

and while on the subject of baking glazes:

SH

And believe it or not, there is a vegan substitute for egg:

SH