Ping Tim....

Does this go against your vegi principals?...

Jimmy Stewart ...

must be OK because you are not eating the organs? .....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

They say you like an organ in your mouth. Poof

Reply to
Radio Man

takes one to know one ...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

Interesting article. I'm waiting for the time will when organs can be grown from stem cells.

Reply to
Fredxx

This isn't new. Using a pigs liver as an emergency assistance while waiting for a human organ to become available has been done in the past, as this Canadian woman tell us -

Andrew

1) I'm not 'a vegi', I'm 'a vegan' and they are very different things.

A vegi doesn't eat meat, possibly because they don't like the cruelty subjected on animals we breed for their meat, but is perfectly happy with the cruelty subjected on animals for all the other things (and that are often worse in the form of long term suffering).

This is the same issue as killing one animal to feed another (like a pet cat that is an obligate carnivore), killing one animal to potentially / temporarily save / prolong the life of another, in this case a human.

It might be acceptable under the 'as far as possible' general guidelines for veganism, depending on your personal ethics.

"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose."

So taking a pigs life to save a humans *might* be considered acceptable to some (vegans).

I'm still not sure I'd want to pull the trigger myself, even if it were for me and therefore I wouldn't expect anyone else to do it for me.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

For a vegi, it can be, depending on the depth of their convictions.

They can choose to both not consume *and* not 'exploit animals for any of their by-products, so that could include their organs for our medical use.

But this is were the vegans think the vegetarians are confused, if a vegi doesn't want an animal killed to eat or exploit (organs, skin, etc) the same thing would apply to all the animals that are killed and exploited in the egg and dairy industries (that they are ok with)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
[a reply in this thread]

Good to see you T i m! I just realised the other day I (we) hadn't seen you for a bit. I almost asked the (these days) dread question: "has anyone seen T i m?"

Nice to see you fighting your corner, as ever.

Another John

Reply to
Another John

You will be saying next that you believe in "materia medica." next ...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...
<snip>

<snip>

I'd ask you WTF you were talking about but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't know.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Thanks?

I've been playing with my Home Automation system and that's involved in playing with lots of different hardware, installing Linux servers, trying to get to grips with Docker / containers and running things like Home Assistant and TVHeadend on the same mini PC etc.

The irony is that it's not 'my corner' as such as whilst I may 'better off' personally health wise and I'm certainly no longer weighed down by logical inconsistency (loving / respecting some animals but then causing others suffering and death because of my lifestyle choices (and many were inherited or forced upon me via social conditioning rather than 'chosen' as such)), 1) It's something we may well all have to be doing in the future because the planet won't be able to support what we are doing now and 2) because it won't be socially acceptable to carry on treating the animals that are left in such a way (because they are *all* very much part of a previously balanced ecosystem that we have ruined).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh right