Minimum Distance By Law that A/C unit must be from Neighbor

Anyone if there's usually a building code that dictates how close you are allowed to place an air conditioning unit to the dividing wall between you and the neighbor?

I'm not getting a permit (I'm not sure if its required), but I don't wan't my neighbor complaining of noise so I want to make sure I stay within specs!

Reply to
benn

Around this neck of the woods it is 3 ft minium.

Reply to
jim

Here it is 10' from the property line. Better check local codes though. In some towns I've seen them just inches away.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You would stand a much better chance of getting a really helpful reply if you told us what continenet you were on. Providing country, state/province/municipaly would even be better.

Also, have you given any thought about asking the building officials in your own municipality (who might even have a clue about what the 'right' answer is for you?) instead of a bunch of strangers on the internet?

Reply to
Doug Brown

Also, these things are rather municipality specific. What applies in my town likely does not apply in your town.

Reply to
Doug Brown

What is the distance between you and your neighbors house, and what kind of wall are we talking about? If this is a CAC system, most new ones are quiet to begin with.

Reply to
Mikepier

Location of a central A/C unit is based on local codes. Some cities require all A/C units to be behind the house. An experienced certified installer should be familiar with local codes.

Reply to
Phisherman

Getting a permit gets you a free inspection to be sure you got a quality job, codes vary on location to a neighbors house.

Reply to
ransley

Get a permit and have the work inspected. Your neighbor could always call town hall and tell them about the installation even though it is code compliant.

Reply to
John Grabowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Depends on the area. In Japan, units are made to install along a thin walkway/porch almost flush to the house!

Most stateside units are to be 1 ft from your house and at least 10 from the neighbor but I do not know if that's just where I've been, or the units I've seen most often are like that. Oh, and a permit is required where I am.

Reply to
cshenk

"John Grabowski" wrote

Correct. For example, we already know once our unit 'bites the big one' we have to have structural work done. The footer it is on, is no longer in specs (has to be bigger and higher now than when it was installed). To have the heat pump portion worked on (in the garage) we also have to have the hot water heater reinstalled as it's on a loose brick base (legal back then and still safe but no longer in codespecs). Hot water heater is next to the furnace portion.

If we want to sell the house, we probably will have to have the hot water heater on a proper riser.

Reply to
cshenk

You really want to get that permit. Failure to do so, could mean that your neighborr's complaint could force you to remove it, even if it otherwise meets code.

Codes are local and we can't really give you the advice you need. A local attorney and a local HVAC pro should be able to answer your questions properly, but you will pay for that advice.

Reply to
jmeehan

wrote

Not nessecarily. I've gotten many a free simple question like this answered over the phone. It works like this: Hi, I am considering several options for an AC unit replacement and have some basic questions before asking for an official visit and estimate. Due to my house being close to a neighbors, can you tell me if 'x' feet is enough room to have the external section added? Or do I need to investigate other options in which case I may need to have a landscaper first due to design of backyard'. He can probably get a fast answer for his local code just on the footage required.

He's apt to be told it depends on how big the unit is but a standard one for his size house needs 'x' feet from his wall, and 'x' feet after it before the neighbors wall.

Ok, back to work for me. Break over ;-)

Reply to
cshenk

My next door neighbor just put in a new 18,000 BTU Split unit & put the out side blowing device 4 feet from blowing powerful air under our car Port were we entertain. Is that ok when they put ant poison down & blow it at us ?

Reply to
Jim

Check your local ordinances and codes. There is no national code

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Go the local planning board and check. I just put up a new garage and while it was no where near the property line ( about 75 feet away) I had to get a piece of paper from them to get a building permit stating it was ok. I think at the time out in the county where I am at I would have had to have it atleast 10 or more feet from the property line.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Call your building inspector and have him come for a site visit - - theoretically to advise you on the new section of privacy fence that you are going to build - in the path of the neighbour's A/C - but be sure that he notices the new A/C installation while he's there .. It also helps to know your property line to-the-inch. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Have you talked to your neighbor about the problem? I would do that before I sought local government help. You might be able to find a solution acceptable for both of you.

Reply to
Ken

I wonder if there really is a problem. Most compressors exhaust upwards (given that warm air rises, that's not suprising).

You all realize you're responding to a post from Home Moaners Hub, right?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

You may not want to kick that tar baby. I am not sure what your local zoning might be but here your carport can't be closer than 10' from the property line on the side and 35' in the front. The AC condenser can be closer. (adjacent to that 10' line) If you get that pissing match started, you might lose your car port. That is single family,. If you live in a trailer community they usually have far looser rules, basically zero lot line.

Reply to
gfretwell