minimum separation distance between water pipe and SWA cable underground?

HI, I will shortly be running 25mm blue MDPE pipe AND 10mm2 SWA cable from one end of the garden to the other end via a 2 feet deep trench.

WHats the minimum separation distance required between the blue MDPE pipe and the 10mm2 SWA cable?

Regards,

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

A spades width:-)

Or put the water pipe in at 750mm and the SWA in at 400mm.

And I have loads of underground electrical warning tape if you want some, just email me.

Reply to
ARW

So the digger's bucket should be wide enough then if I put the blue MDPE in one of the bottom corner edges and the SWA in the opposite corner edges then.......

One thing that is annoying about SWA cables is that it only semes to be available as 3 phase, not in single phase plus earth! So I'm forced to put sticky coloured tape on the conductors at both ends of the SWA!

Reply to
Stephen

Use 2-core (brown/blue) with the armour as the earth?

OR if you want a green/yellow earth core, toolstation have a photo that shows this

I think I'd ask to check the actual colours before buying though, because I'd normally expect brown/black/grey ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes.

It's not that big a deal:-)

Reply to
ARW

I dont like digging so I like to install buried armoured cable in a duct of generously sized black plastic tube along with a draw cord. Belt and braces in case the cable needs replacing or you want to install another circuit.

Reply to
Cynic

If you used barrier pipe for the water the cable could go inside the pipe for extra good cooling, then you could run your 3 phase lathe off a couple of bis of bell wire & save tuppence :)

No, don't really do it. Someone probably has tried it somewhere.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , Cynic writes

Mice love to chew up fibre draw cords:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Another option is to install the duct, but with the SWA *outside* of it. That way you still have the future expansion capability and don't end up using some of it before you start.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm

I don't like digging. If I need a trench digging I get the village idiot to dig it for me. It's my version of care in the community.

Reply to
ARW

It was on a site I went to at Cambridge. The 110V shower was supplied from SWA with a green sheath on the [grey] CT of the transformer, the other green sheath at the shower end was placed on a [black] 110V feed and connected to ground of course.

It was on that site that I heard one of the most profound, logical observations that I have ever come across.

The site Electrician explained that the transformer had "lost it's smoke"

He had seen electrical items lose their smoke before, it seems the only way to get the things working again, is to collect all the smoke that was lost, and put it back.

He persuaded me that there was little point finding all that missing smoke, so I snipped the cable ends and saw to it that another transformer was supplied.

I wonder if we will go back to RYB ?

At least the consensus on what core to use as ground was fairly universal.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

The "lost smoke" concept is related to the "Dark Sucker" theory of light bulbs.

Reply to
charles

In message , Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp writes

Is there an established phase rotation with grey/brown/black as there was with RYB?

I've been re-using salvaged 4mm singles now connected to a pre-change supply. Curiously only 1 out of 4 machines rotated correctly.

For obvious reasons, I don't bother with the National Lottery:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There is indeed, there seems no strict convention as to whether the black or grey becomes ground in single phase applications though.

On the plus side, I have never seen the brown with a green tracer on it. :-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

You cannot have a dark sucker theory of light bulbs, the two things are mutually exclusive.

You can have a dark sucker theory of dark suckers, most of the work on the theory was indeed written up with the aid of darksuckers, but having located your dark sucker, it is no longer a theory :-)