Villery & Bosche toilet repair rather than replace

Yes, I know this picture is from a site offering a new toilet seat, but what I need is the cistern/tank and tank lid (the originals have cracked, so V&B isn't all it's cracked up to be....)

Is there any place to buy those bits of possibly expensive ceramic on their own, or a plausible compatible?

I could of course just buy a whole new bowl and cistern from B&Q, but then it would be the odd-one-out in the house.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Miscellanea have a series of greenhouses stuffed full of old bathroom bits:

Worth asking if they can help.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

In message , at 19:00:23 on Fri,

11 May 2018, Theo remarked:

Thanks for the link.

But prices for a potentially compatible cistern and lid start at around ?250 (inc VAT & Delivery) which is fine if you want an exact match with the rest of a coloured/sculptured the bathroom suite. But a plain white toilet is a plain white toilet!

Reply to
Roland Perry

With a design such as the one you have surely any close look alike would not look out of place. Others would notice that it's not original only if they had an intimate knowledge if the white porcelain market or if you told them.

Reply to
alan_m

If it's a plain white toilet, replace it with another plain white toilet.

If it's a specific white toilet you need, then it evidently isn't a plain white toilet.

Theo (trying to resist saying 'bog standard' here)

Reply to
Theo

In message , at 11:22:57 on Sat, 12 May 2018, alan_m remarked:

I agree, but the cistern would have to physically fit well enough, even if from a cheaper brand. As this one (and its pedestal obviously) is

20yrs old, it may or may not.

I do hope to fix it without having to re-plumb either the pedestal, or just as importantly where the cold water feed emerges perpendicularly out of the wall, via a cutout in the back wall of the cistern. And not through the side or bottom of the tank.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 11:44:59 on Sat,

12 May 2018, Theo remarked:

The two things which need to "fit" are where the water feed enters the rear of the cistern, and the soil pipe exits the pan. The latter fit is probably easier to source than the former, but a whole new unit needs both, of course.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Aren't they made to a standard? We had no problems replacing both our toilets more than 30 years after they were first installed.

Have you tried here for information about a replacement?

Martin

Where the water goes into the cistern appears to vary quite a lot. External pipework is a lot easier to adapt than ones coming out of the wall.

Hopefully the "close coupling" is fairly standard, but a feature of this model is a crescent-shaped lip in the top of the pan just behind the hinges, which will constrain the dimension of the bottom of the cistern.

Rather than like this one where it's essentially a flat shelf:

Have you tried here for information about a replacement?

My model isn't available, and a more modern one is ?200 for just the two bits of porcelain. That's when I reached for this newsgroup, earlier.

Reply to
Roland Perry

or even Ideal Standard

Reply to
DJC

You might find that you can get the V&B parts you want (at a sensible price) from

... their prices and service are excellent, plus they will correspond in English.

Reply to
nothanks

In message , at 10:40:52 on Sun, 13 May 2018, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com remarked:

It looks like they are selling mainly new complete units (and not many of them WCs), not spares for 20yr old ones. But thanks for the link.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Perhaps cheaper to drive to Saar where they are made and pick up a new one or a good second. I once spent an afternoon searching through piles of crockery in a shop in Saarbrucken selling Villeroy and Bosch seconds. I managed to put together two near but not quite perfect sets for about £20. It was about 40 years ago.

Reply to
Martin

Thanks for that.

WCs

The whole thing

Martin

IME most these days will expect the feed to enter from the underside of the cistern...

If yours comes out of the wall somewhere in the back of the cistern that may prove more tricky - depends on how high up it is.

(moving it down, is possible obviously, but slightly more work).

In many cases you may be able to, but its not a safe assumption that you can in all cases - offsets will vary as will the mating surfaces.

That's usually less of a problem since there are a wide variety of WC connectors available that have slight offsets, or bends, or flexible or hinged bits etc. You can normally find something that will get the two to mate ok.

You are probably between a rock and a hard place. If you want a compatible match you may have to be prepared to pay top money, or just swap the pan as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Too many years ago for me to remember where, but my insurance company put me in touch with a company in Birmingham to source replacement parts for an old, discontinued bathroom suite.

The insurance company were also going to pay for fitting, but I said I'd do that myself. They then actually offered to pay me for doing it, but only at minimum wage. I said not to bother. I later found that they didn't charge many the excess. My premium didn't seem to change either.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That should have been "didn't charge me the excess"

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , at

13:18:42 >

Yes, that's where they were on earlier houses, but it results in exposed pipework which the builder here was trying hard to avoid.

It's right at the top of the cistern. The pipe then turns 90degrees and runs horizontally across the back of the cistern and straight into the top of the float-valve gubbins.

It'd mean taking off tiles and all sorts of other stuff.

I'm not that much against replacing the pan (and thus having a slightly odd one), but I need to make sure its cistern has the rear-feed.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 14:11:10 on Sun, 13 May 2018, Martin remarked:

That's remarkably similar (but not how the whole range only has two such models; I can't work out why the other so much more expensive).

Off to take measurements... but it doesn't look like that one has the rear water feed.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 14:27:11 on Sun, 13 May

2018, Roland Perry remarked:

While I'm pretty confident the measurements for the pan are the same, the cistern is completely different. Mine is shorter, fatter, and tapers towards the back (to 310 vs 364mm) rather than rectangular with a slightly bowed front.

See my earlier link:

But that gives me more confidence the Omnia Classic (rather than Classic

100) is the model I'm looking for.
Reply to
Roland Perry